Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 01:47:20 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Fiction and Story Hour
| | |-+  Ultimates/Umbrella - CCG Faction
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ultimates/Umbrella - CCG Faction  (Read 5528 times)
Equinox
Recruit

Demagogue in Training

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2008, 01:30:43 PM »

This is just a start. I figure the central theme behind the Umbrella is that if you target one Umbrella agent, the others are going to jump you. That, and doing interesting things with gear (which somewhat steps near the Krypt's theme, but the Umbrella is more about using and abusing it, rather than retrieval).

-

Umbrella Leader's action:

React Craft 0: After an enemy agent targets one of your agents: Take a mission action.

-

Action:

Everyone Has Their Price
Umbrella Only

React Charisma X: After an opposing agent targets you with an action, discard a Gear card: one of your agents completes the action, targeting an opposing agent. The TN is the original TN.

"Wow...that, you know, I'm all for principles, but this is like Solomon's diamond mines." -- Az

-

Action:

Lack of Subtety
Umbrella Only

Mission Combat X: Retire your highest Expense active agent. Expose any agent on your mission team: Wound all opposing agents. This wound may not be prevented. The TN is the mission's victory points.

"I've seen what you're going to kill. It's me or a tacnuke, and I don't come with SALT treaties attached." -- Raphael 'Az' Marcos

-

Equinox

Charisma 7 Transport 2 Combat 2 Craft 7

Umbrella * Fixer * Faceman * Leader 4

React Charisma X: After an action targets an Umbrella agent: Reduce the acting agent’s printed skills to 0 until the end of the turn. Redirect the action to another agent. The TN is the acting agent's Craft.

"You were made the moment we hit the door. Now sit back down before someone does something regrettable." -- Equinox

-

E. Quentin Knox

Charisma 6 Transport 5 Combat 1 Craft 7

Umbrella * Fixer * Leader 4

Intel Transport X: Discard a card: Attach a Gear, facedown, to any mission in the queue. Any Umbrella agent at that mission may attach it as a Mission Craft 0 action. The TN is the mission’s victory points.

“If the notes in my PDA are correct, you're staring at a Bell 430 service helicopter, with the retractable undercarriage option, some reinforced panels, and a custom two-tone paintjob.” -- E. Quentin Knox

-

Brandon Logan

Charisma 9 Transport 3 Combat 3 Craft 6

Umbrella * Gemeinshaft Consortium * Faceman * Leader 4

Mission Charisma X: Target agent performs your next mission action, and may target any active agent with that action, ignoring legality. The TN is the target’s Craft. You may take an additional action.

“I don't know if you've noticed, but 'nox has a penchant for making people do what he wants them to do, not necessarily what he tells them to do.” -- Marcus Aaron Simmons.

-

Marcus Aaron Simmons

Charisma 2 Transport 4 Combat 8 Craft 3

Umbrella * Soldier * Leader 3

Marcus adds his Craft to the TN of any enemy action targeting him.

React Combat X: After an action wounds an Umbrella agent: Retire the acting agent. The TN is the acting agent’s Craft + Combat.

“Simmons pretends to be a simpleton thug, but he’s much wiser than most give him credit.” -- Valentina

-

Paladin

Charisma 3 Transport 3 Combat 7 Craft 3

Umbrella * Soldier * Leader 3

Mission Craft 0: Remove the target card from the game: Perform an action printed on a target Weapon card in any discard pile as if it was attached to this agent.

“Let's not kid ourselves, shall we? You chew through guns like other people chew through popcorn.” -- Brandon "Equinox" Logan

-

Valentina

Charisma 3 Transport 5 Combat 9 Craft 3

Umbrella * Company * Soldier * Avatar * Unique

Mission Combat X: Wound an opposing agent who has targeted an Umbrella agent this mission. If this retires the agent, you may take an additional Mission action. The TN is the target’s combat.

-

Mjolnir

Combat +4

At the end of a mission in which Valentina was on the mission team, search your discard pile for Mjolnir and attach it to Valentina, face up.

Mission Combat X: Retire Mjolnir: Retire an opposing agent. The TN is the target’s expense.

Umbrella * Fixer * Unique

React Charisma X: After an action targets Equinox: Wound the acting agent. Redirect the action to another agent. The TN is the acting agent's Craft.

"You were made the moment we hit the door. Now sit back down before someone does something regrettable."
Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »

Grin

Nice.

Gatac
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:06:13 PM »

Yes, highly excellent.  Cool
And the perfect chance to prod you about what the prospects for a final chapter of Ultimates fictions are. =D

“VELOCITAS, INCURSIO, VIS” -Latin for “Speed, Surprise, Violence of Action!”
(Thank you Grrl Power).
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 04:42:55 AM »

The Stats... they mean nothing  Huh?

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »

What ever happened to Equinox?

Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:27:27 AM »

Everyone's been busy with other things. I know I've still got like two stories in the Ultimatesverse to tell, plus a ton of ideas for the finale, but I just can't fit it into my schedule.

EDIT: If anyone cares, I can do a short writeup of what I had planned so you guys can get some closure on the storylines I had planned.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:32:15 AM by Gatac » Logged
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 01:00:19 AM »

Yeah, that'd be fun.

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 01:48:40 AM »

Everyone's been busy with other things. I know I've still got like two stories in the Ultimatesverse to tell, plus a ton of ideas for the finale, but I just can't fit it into my schedule.

EDIT: If anyone cares, I can do a short writeup of what I had planned so you guys can get some closure on the storylines I had planned.

*emerging from the fan bunker*
DEW EET NAO!
I never forgot! =D

(Thank you Grrl Power).
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 04:52:28 AM »

And Valentina, from Equinox: "She's 30% more versatile then the average walking apocalypse."
For Mjolner, from Val: "Soldier up girl, this is literally taking destiny by the handle."

edited for  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:59:02 PM by Valentina » Logged

(Thank you Grrl Power).
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 12:24:39 PM »

Okay, here goes. Please note that my plans are obviously fairly Mark-centric and also pretty "raze and salt"-ish - this was how I wanted to wrap up *everything* about him.

Wayward Son

Actually started way back when, then immediately abandoned after the first chapter, this was going to be kind of a side story to the events in Japan from Rising Son, centering around Valentina. The plot was mostly going to be Valentina being awesome and facing off against the rogue PAC leadership, power armor, local Shop assets (including some Avatars) and...dammit, can't find my Shadowforce Archer worldbook at the moment. The Archer agent who was supposed to infiltrate the PAC, pictured on the PAC splatbook cover, dual sai...argh, can't remember the name. Anyway, the gist of the matter is that Valentina eventually finds out that the agent has gone rogue *twice* - first defecting from being an Archer mole to being turned by the PAC, then upgrading to triple agent status by feeding intel to the Shop. She's been involved in the whole mess and she's the one who killed the rogue PAC control at the end of his fight with Mark. In the ensuing fight, Valentina has no choice but to kill her, but the experience leaves her deeply shaken and she gives herself up, leading to where Rowena finds her in the cell in Ultimates 2. Also, I had very vague plans to involve Raphael Marcos aka Az somewhere, revealing that he's the amnesiac result of the Shop "Archangel" cloning program, much like I've shown Mark's clone Michael and hinted that they've got a line of Rowena clones codenamed Gabriel.

Music planning: This was going to be pretty hard and heavy. Yoji Biomehanika - Samurai, Rob Zombie - Foxy Foxy (for Valentina), some Andy Hunter. Set the final scene of Valentina giving herself up and sitting down in her cell to Clint Mansell - Dead Reckoning.

One Shot

Starting as a "What if?" story, this revisits Two Guns, showing what would have happened if Mark had, at the last second, not pulled the trigger in the stand-off with Sharon. Sharon's love wins out over her sense of duty and she carries Mark out of the apartment to be treated by dollar, narrowly evading the police response. With her alive, the cops don't come down like a ton of bricks on Mark, giving him the opportunity to tip off Karen Ayers about Captain Whitton's side deals. With help from the Ingues family, the lovers stay hidden long enough for the shitstorm to focus on Whitton and take him down, leaving Mark and Sharon home free. Mark still confronts little Miss Ingues over her inviting her family's enemies to attack, but instead of walking away, he forgives her. Sharon quits the force and decides to become a private eye, while Mark similarly retires, buys himself a clean legal identity, and joins her. Happily ever after...

...and if you think all that sounds way too good to be true, Mark agrees with you. Things seem to bend around his actions to make everything alright, and he can't seem to lose at anything. Deeply cynical as he is, he starts pushing, driving Sharon away from him and alienating his friends in his obsession of finding the loose end he's sure is lurking somewhere. Sure enough, he finds it: he's trapped in his own mind, and talking to the mental representation of his jailer - as talking through the illusion of Sharon, for maximum knife-twisting - he finds out that this isn't the first time he's figured it out - they've gone through this illusion a dozen times, and every time Mark figures it out, and every time, when it's revealed, he ends up deciding to go start over. This time, however, he rejects the illusion and says he'd rather deal with the pain, and dares the figure to bring on an eternity of torture. However, the figure simply releases him, saying that it just wanted to give Mark a happy life.

In the real world, we find Mark's been out for five days - whoever psionically attacked Rowena towards the end of Just 'cause hit him, too, and hit him much harder than her, squashing Mark's long-touted record of being resistant to psionics. The search for a suspect is short - Hunter/Villain X has escaped his holding facility. Mark and Rowena, both burning for revenge against him, set off to bring him back in.

Music planning: More 80s! Specifically, Journey's Anyway You Want It. I had it in my mind when thinking about this for so long that the song now sounds completely sinister to me.

Hunter Hunted

Mark and Rowena go to LA, where Hunter's supposed to be hiding. In town, they meet with Dollar, who's since settled down and "runs" a crew, though the younger gangbangers are all fairly embarrassed by him. Dollar pulls them straight into a gang conflict that turns out to involve the Shop's local plans; Mark and Rowena get very worried that they can't seem to spit without hitting something the Shop has its fingers in. The rest is kind of vague still - I hadn't thought about it much - but at the end, Mark and Rowena find Hunter just in time to see him get killed for real - by the new Villain X. Oh snap!

Music planning: Lots of hip hop and rock. Reserved spots of Xzibit - LAX, DMX - Bring Your Whole Crew and White Zombie - The One.

The Big Freaking Finale

Okay, this one's even harder because I thought I'd be writing just parts of it with Equinox, since, you know, it's the finale. So my plans pretty much focussed on Mark and Rowena. Anyway, all-out three-way war between the remains of the Archer conspiracy, The Hand of Glory, and The Shop. The Ultimates lead a strike team to the Shop's bigass submarine, and we find out that the plans in the splatbook don't come close to the thing's scale - it's gargantuan, and the team quickly gets split up tackling various objectives while Hand soldiers also attack en masse. Even the Ultimates are hard-tasked to break through, but eventually Rowena, Equinox, and everyone important manages to get into the inner sanctum where Gray awaits, while Mark seemingly sacrifices himself by locking himself into a room with Villain X.

In short, Mark gets pwned pretty badly, and when he's a bleeding, disarmed mess on the floor, Villain X reveals that he's the next Michael Simmons clone, just with substantial upgrades - among them massive psionic power. Together with the armor and being able to read everything Mark's gonna try, he's as close to unbeatable as anything living can be. Credit to Mark for fighting him and not dying instantly, but he can't match that. Michael 2.0, however, reveals that unlike his predecessor, he doesn't hate Mark - indeed, he was the one who turned the psionic attack into trying to fulfill Mark's fantasies because he wants to *replace* Mark completely and send him off to a nice retirement of sorts. Mark admits that Michael may, indeed, be better than him - not just as a fighter, but as a person, too. Before Michael can realize what this means, Mark calls on the memory of shooting Sharon, over and over again, driving himself to tears but getting Michael in on the act - the guilt of carrying this around for 20 years is more than Michael can absorb quickly. Then Mark adds the coup de grace: he tells Michael that he's the kind of person who not only shot the only woman he ever loved, but after twenty years of guilt and shame, he'd use her memory as nothing more than a weapon. That adds a massive dose of self-loathing to the mix; Michael tears off the armor's helmet, no longer able to control himself. Mark, with his trademark bleeding-to-death glibness, tells Michael that he didn't strip *all* his weapons - and stomps his boot, flinging the old spring-loaded knife at Michael. Michael deflects it, but the second is enough time for Mark to roll, grab one of his pistols and shoot Michael in the head.

Mark painfully gets up and laughs quietly - that was his ultimate gamble, but he knows it won't keep Michael down, as he's already using his powers to regenerate. Thoroughly beat, Mark wanders over to the discarded helmet, picks it up, then says that he - for a change - read the briefing about the armor because he needed to know how to kill Villain X. He admits that he didn't find a way - the armor is flawless. Michael's seconds away from regenerating when Mark puts the helmet on. The security system scans his brainwaves, they of course don't match Michael's what with the latter's massive psionic enhancements. Mark takes the helmet off and remarks that they don't seem to think alike, but because he won't get another chance to, he adds another one-liner: You're better, but I'm meaner.

Cue asplosion!

The next part is kind of a massive spoiler taken from what Equinox told me of his plans, so beware:
(click to show/hide)
Rowena goes berserk thinking that Mark's dead, but the old hitman shows up looking like hell - but still alive - after Rowena fights and defeats Gray. (Presumably, the other Ultimates would be up against further threats, such as, I don't know, Eve? The Hand children? The Assassins? Didn't plan anything here.) There's no discussion about clemency or forgiveness - Rowena and Mark straight up shoot Gray until he's deader than disco.

In the aftermath, Mark has trouble deciding what to do. The fight's taken whatever spryness he might have left, so when we see him, he's rocking a cane like Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond and at about that level of physical ability. Rowena convinces him that he's way overdue for retirement, and Mark accepts it. He leaves Rowena in charge - she's afraid that he'll abandon her, but he says he just needs to take care of one thing and then he'll leave the past behind. Final scene: Mark finally makes it to Sharon's grave, kneels down and prays, but instead of his usual "Every day I sin and do not repent" prayer, he rocks the Lord's Prayer, finding it in himself to ask for forgiveness. When he gets up and turns around, he finds Karen Ayers there. He tells her that he's turning himself in for the murder of Sharon Collins, if that's what she wants. Ayers says that it's been 20 years - she's moved on, and she's not gonna do him any favors by making her arrest him. Instead, she semi-jokingly orders him to go turn himself in at the next police station, like a good criminal should. Mark says that if she lets him walk away now, she'll never catch him because he won't be back. Ayers, not without some bitterness, tells him she'll be glad if she never has to think about him again. Mark accepts that and bids his goodbye. We fade out on Sharon's grave - metaphorically speaking, she was dead before, but now she's buried.

FIN

Music planning: For the big action scenes, I was planning to basically steal action movie themes wherever possible. This was gonna be a rollercoaster of the biggest, most epic music I could find. Of particular note: the Northern Kings cover of A View To A Kill, and their cover of Brothers In Arms for the Mark-Michael fight. Final scene set to Deep Purple - Soldier of Fortune.

---

Welp, that reads a lot more maudlin and depressing than it was in my head. But hey, Mark's always been put through the wringer, why lay off him now? And like I said, I wanted to make sure that he this would be the final story I'd tell about him - as such, it had to give him the redemption he hadn't wanted before, and it had to add more pain to the pile before he'd finally stop walking the path of the hitman and seek to make things right.

So, yeah. I know this is by no means a replacement for actually writing all those stories, but I hope it's at least worth *something* to the people who were curious how it would end.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 04:17:53 AM »

Gotta get to work, too busy, but initial reaction is WOW. =D
Mark is like EPIC Action Guy Deconstruction. O.o
Holy crap on the spoiler, too. Didn't expect THAT!

(Thank you Grrl Power).
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »

Yeah, Mark's always been on a bad road. Most action heroes rise to the challenges forced upon them - Mark slogs through the consequences of his choices. Ironically, the certainty that this is his path - that which gives him his grit and will to survive - is all a sham; he's had endless opportunities to turn back from it, and he's spurned them all. He literally has to have the stupid beat out of him by the most powerful living being on the planet to finally get that it's all him doing it to himself.

Mark's a survivor. He'll come out alive on the other end of pretty much anything. But the big question is and has always been - are the things he does to keep it that way worth it? I think they're not. Which is what has - for me - always kept him interesting to write, despite the fact that he's scratching Batman levels of combat prowess.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 11:41:36 AM »

Well, Batman's been a pretty huge dickhead for goodness knowns how many years now, and everytime he sees the error of his ways, DC always seems to boot him off the wagon soon after

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 07:37:14 PM »

Re: Mark.
Your comments Gatac, inspire a musing of my own about my heroic namesake, and I think you've already pegged this if not stated it outright.

Valentina has to be sure. She's an exuberant destroyer, utterly fearless (after all, once you've had a partial skull reconstruction and months of nanosurgery from being clipped by an anti-material round that you didn't have the sense to die from you've got nothing to lose but your old haircut) but the most crucial, numero-uno-with-a-bullet-point, thing she relies on her allies for is to be pointed at the genuine Bad Guys.

She's a people person in many important, empathic ways, but she's also cognizant that intelligence gathering on a level beyond eavesdropping or operational material acquisition isn't in her skillset. She's a Soldier, Super or otherwise, and she relies on and trusts Equinox and Koschei to keep her on target.

I think the telling detail is her lack of Former Criminal experience. Even if someone's got a gun pointed her way she'll take an extra second to make sure she's damn sure the right aggressor's going to die. While not to the degree to time spent wreaking havoc, Tina's also a protector of others at her core, and she's got a poignant appreciation for the irreversible truths of death.

Valentina isn't completely lost without a minder, but she does slow down, becoming over-analytical and inclined towards taking chances instead of 'set Mjolnir to Maximum Smear -and let Room 36 try to match the dental records.'

Both this quality and it's companion behavior are treasured by her friends and allies because restraint fueled by a willingness to personal sacrifice is a damn rare trait in the shadows, but the cost is a dire need to know, to trust, and that's also one hell of a liability.
Of course if that trust were broken or abused, her wrath would be titanic in all kinds of senses, but I'm sure that's planned for.

So....am I right, Gatac? =]

Post script: also, as always many apologies for this greatly delayed contribution. I'd blame it on my last month and a half at work without a day off, but really I think I've got a endemic flake-streak across my soul.

(Thank you Grrl Power).
Pheonyx
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »

FYI: The girl on the cover of the PAC book is Dareka, PAC Physical Adept psion.

Also, I'd make Mjolnir a Unique if I were you.

Ashes to ashes,
Pheonyx

PS: You know Dante won't be happy with the spoiler, right?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:18:55 PM by Pheonyx » Logged

Official Spycraft Agent #001
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: