Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 10:51:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Fiction and Story Hour
| | |-+  Ultimates/Umbrella - CCG Faction
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ultimates/Umbrella - CCG Faction  (Read 5827 times)
Equinox
Recruit

Demagogue in Training

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »

Just noticed this musings on where Ultimates was going to go so I thought I'd drop by and give my 2 cents.

Ultimates: Training Daze - This was going to be a backgrounds deal to describe how Brandon becomes who he is. Essentially, he spends some time with all the big guns of the Ulti-verse learning their methods. Stats-wise, Jr. was going to be a Con Artist 10 with varying doses of Martial Artist, Soldier and Wheelman thrown in. His signature weapon was a revolver (most likley a Taurus 308) with some utility with knives/bows/thrown weapons. Basically, he was a special tricks kind of guy able to improvise his way through most situations, relying a lot on his massive Charisma.

Ultimates: Secrets - This was going to tell some of the background as to why Valentina went into self-exile. It opened with 'Nox going to Valentina telling her he had a mission and that one person on the team was a Shop mole, but he wasn't sure who it was. I've got notes at home on the team and I can flesh this story out more. The one character I remember was a (1st Editiion) Martial Artist/Triggerman from the Russian Confederacy named Talon, whose signature weapon was Talon ammo (his secret: he is the child of one of the original Agememnon virus recipients and is basically a version of Wolverine in his comic book black ops days). The basic premise was that the Fist of Chango were trying to set up a buy for Chems from PERIL, and Valentina and her team were set to disrupt the buy. My favorite scene I had envisioned for this story comes when Fist tanks are bearing down upon a lone Valentine, Mjolnir in hand. It would have gone something like this:

"Mjolnir, being an artifact of near-infinite arcane power and bonded to a mystically empowered avatar, had a rather strained relationship with the laws of physics. In essence, Physics told Mjolnir what it could and could not do, and Mjolnir told Physics to stuff-it. Such was the case as the tanks came barreling down the road toward Valentina. Biceps flexed with barely-restrained and she hauled the axe-hammer backwards before letting it fly. It sailed in a straight line and crossed two-hundred yards before colliding with the lead tank. At this point, Momentum suggested that Mjolnir should fall to the ground, reminding the hammer that it has already achieved the impossible feat of getting hurled at its target in the first place. Mjolnir flipped Momentum the bird.

The tank slammed to an instant and catastrophic stop. 60 miles per hour to zero in .3 seconds. The driver and passengers, literally, didn't know what hit them. They didn't stand a chance."

In Valentina's case, her secret is that she was beginning to tune into her more destructive impulses and was concerned she was losing control. Equinox's gambit was that by putting her in a situation where she had to guard friends/allies from an unknown enemy, her protective instinct would override the other impulses.

more to come...

Umbrella * Fixer * Unique

React Charisma X: After an action targets Equinox: Wound the acting agent. Redirect the action to another agent. The TN is the acting agent's Craft.

"You were made the moment we hit the door. Now sit back down before someone does something regrettable."
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 06:11:03 PM »

Holy crap. 'Nox. Way to come in from the cold! Smiley

Equinox
Recruit

Demagogue in Training

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »

Okay, so more on Ultimates: Secrets.

The story opens with 'Nox approaching Valentina, letting her know he was about to send her into a rough situation, and to be careful of her comrades becase at least one of them is a Shop infiltrator. Valentina suggests that she's losing control but 'Nox assures her that he trusts her ability to not go nova and start the apocalypse. He explains that this is a multi-chamber task force designed to disrupt relations between PERIL and the Fist of Chango, but that the Shop will likely try to move in to steal some technology. Their task is to disrupt the buy and keep PERIL and the Fist from developing a relationship.

The scene shifts to the standard intro scene, aboard a cargo aircraft where the agents are flying into Russia. After some banter, there's an explosion at the front of the plane. Everyone scrambles to the cockpit to discover that the pilot and copilot have been killed by an internal explosion and the plane is going down. Quickly taking charge, Valentina orders Toymaster and Iron Man to attempt a safe landing while sending everyone else to the vehicles (a Battle Bus and one of those big Vans from the European Commonwealth book that can hold a suite) to prepare for a crash.

Iron Man and Toymaster realize that there is no way they can get down without breaking the plane into tiny pieces, so they open the back and the rest of the crew drive the vehicles out to safety. Valentina manages to get Toymaster and Iron Man out on her own and in one piece.

On the ground, the agents realize that (1) the enemies know they're coming and (2) there's a mole. However, they're committed to the mission. Spoilsport sets a rule that no one can go off by themselves and that they must operate in teams of 3 at all times. They manage to get to a city and sort out their equipment. Realizing that they'll need more gear, they attempt to pursue the black market. The Shop makes an appearance, attempting to spoil the buy but the agents manage to get their much-needed gear after an intense firefight.

They then make it to the meet site later than expected and figure out that their original plan is no longer workable. After surveilling the area and their targets, they ocme up with a new plan: they're going to make it look like a double-cross so that PERIL thinks the FIST is trying to steal the items and the FIST thinks PERIL is trying to get the money. The team divides into 3 teams:

The Infiltration team, composed of Talon, Snake Eyes and Blade sneak into the PERIL storage facility to blow up the supplies and samples. During the infiltration, Talon manages to set most of the explosives, until Snake Eyes stabs him in the back with her spear, inflicting a lethal wound to his chest. Blade and Snake Eyes get into an epic fight, pitching blade against dagger in a darkened facility. Talon's healing factor kicks in and he revives and enters the battle. Blade instructs him to finish the mission and so begins a running spear/knife/pistol fight while Talon attempts to finish the sabotage. Snake Eyes eventually scores a lethal hit on Blade, whereby Talon pops his claws and demonstrates while the Talon chem and Punching Supremacy make for a rather deadly combination. He then triggers the explosion, bringing the house down. Literally.

The Assault team, composed of Valentina, Iron Man and Spoilsport. They track down the waiting Shop forces and bait them into a running firefight, bringing them into the this of the meet. Predictably, PERIL and the Fist assume the other brought the intruders, and so a 4-way fight ensues between the Shop, PERIL (and the Russian Army), the Fist of Chango, and the Conspiracy trio. THe Conspiracy operatives seem vastly outnumbers until the Confederacy manages to rally the populace and some of the local militia to back them up. Spoilsport is severely wounded in the firefight, and Valentina goes ballistic, turning into a one-(wo)man wrecking ball. She only stops when, in her fury and bloodlust, her attentions turn to Iron Man and she manages to stay her blow.

The command and control team, composed of Toymaster, Oracle, and Siren. They provide overwatch and guidance, but Siren goes on the air and convinces the local militia to join in. They have an internal fight in which Toymaster is exposed as a Shop mole and killed.

In the conclusion, 'Nox congratulates the agents on a job well done, and due to something Oracle says or does, Valentina realizes that Oracle is a shop mole. Valentina introduces her to Mjolnir, leaving Oracle a red stain on 'Nox's carpet. 'Nox invites Valentina to leave the Conspiracy with him as he sees things going to the crapper soon. Valentina declines. It is shortly after this that the conspiracy falls apart.

Looked at my notes again, and here was the lineup:

• "Snake Eyes", a Lethal from the African Alliance. Her secret: she is a former Valkyrie (Fixer 5/Valkyrie 6/Raptor 9 with Ultimate Duelist) and actually a Fist of Chango mole.
  • "Iron Man", a Snake Division agent from the Collective. A Wheelman 5/Street Knight 7/Dreadnought 8 who pretty well rocks an Iron Tiger but also has Wild Talent (Catalyst) - basically an anti-Shop walking tank. His secret: he's a black marketeer.
  • "Spoilsport", a 3rd Divsion Commonwealth (Consortium) Faceman 1/Spin Doctor 4/Counter-Terrorist 7/Fringewalker 8 with Anti-Psi Training, Feedback, Spoil and Curdle. Also team leader. Her secret: she has been tasked by Equinox to find and kill the mole.
  • "Talon" a Night Strikes Division agent from the Russian Confederacy. Martial Artist 5/Triggerman 7/Saboteur 8 with Explosives Supremacy, Mine Mastery, the two-weapon fighting chain and punching supremacy. His secret, as mentioned before, is that he has the Agememnon Virus and a special Chem
  • "Toymaster", a Rooks Division agent from the Foundation. He's a Pointman 4/WHeelman 1/Forward 8/Sentry 7 with Bugging Supremacy, Electronic Warfare Supremacy, Poison Supremacy and a bunch of remote control toys. Don't remember his secret.
  • "Blade" A Shadespeaker Guardian agent. Turns out he is an Explorer 5/Assassin 7/Shadespeaker 8. Former Assassin who was recruited into the Guardians because of his Shadespeaking abilities, and who did not realize what becoming an assassin meant. He's actually a good guy.
  • "Oracle" a Broken Seal division Room 39 agent. She's a Sleuth 5/Oracle 8/Detective 7. Basically an intelligence gathering expert, whether HUMINT or SIGINT.
  • "Siren" a Gemeinshaft (Fade) High Roller 5/Technocrat 10/Accuser 5 with the Jet Setter, Famous and Superstar feats. Her job is to provide cover and deniability for the team.

And, of course, Valentina as the Company rep.

Basically, I wanted to give Valentina her time to shine, and show her as more than just a badass warrior chick (although there's plenty of that) but also as a tactical expert, charismatic leader and big sister. Also, I wanted to kill some good guys, which the format of Ultimates does not lend itself to doing so. Lastly, I wanted to play up the paranoia.

For instance, the Curse of the Word would appear, leading one to believe the Assassins were involved (when they were not) and making the reveal of Blade as a former Assassin that much more rewarding, especially when Snake Eyes is revealed as a Fist infiltrator. Also, Oracle's eventual revelation as a Shop mole would have been fun when contrasted with the death of Toymaster (who, in my mind, was a friend and collaborator with Phoenyx, but also a rival- and had been recommended to 'Nox by Phoenyx).

React Charisma X: After an action targets Equinox: Wound the acting agent. Redirect the action to another agent. The TN is the acting agent's Craft.

"You were made the moment we hit the door. Now sit back down before someone does something regrettable."
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 12:22:22 AM »

I think the adjective I am reaching for is "beaming."
As in "a beaming smile is upon my face, and it's so broad my cheeks ache."

Thanks for this, Equinox.
You have made me a much happier being, intentionally or otherwise.  Grin

Much, much love.

And in the tradition of Gatac, a song which, though perhaps cliche`, is good for flavoring scenes of outrage triggered incendiary-fury anatomy-pulverizing destruction.
Static-X, Push It.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vObp0vBDOY

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Equinox
Recruit

Demagogue in Training

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »

Heh. You're welcome, but you may be a bit happier when I dig out and post the outline for  the finale.

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »

Don't mind me, just re-reading.  Grin

Ahh, good times. Tis heartening to contribute something other people like.

Edit: unusually motivated, I wrote my own take on the start of the tank confrontation scene. Feedback wanted please.  Lips Sealed

When she drew the hammer, Mjolnir started to itch. Mjolnir ALWAYS itched.

Valentina could feel little filament shocks questing and and digging and twisting where her skin touched the god-hammer. Just as distracting was the THUMPTHUMPTHUMP-THUMPTHUMPTHUMP-THUMPTHUMPTHUMP of her primary and backup hearts pounding searing blood into her swelling muscles with furious abandon.

She ground her teeth, snarling internally at the weapon that, in fact, It Was NOT Big Red Button Time. Raw soldier's discipline aside, there was too much do after this and she couldn't afford the physiological backlash engaging the Avatar's signature adrenal supercharge created.

And that was how their relationship worked: pure lust. She used it, it used her -no kissing. Just thinking about the artifact made her pulse pick up. Pulling it from it's back sheath made the world grow brighter as her pupils dialated and her muscles twitched with both the effort of readying the obstinate god-weapon but far more with the rush of hot blood energy that genetically growled about a day that didn't end with something big burning To The. FUCKING. GROUND was a day spent disgracing the TRUTH that was the call of Ragnarok.

Valentina forced herself to breathe, and stepped into view of the tanks -three Shop MBTs travelling in basic arrowhead formation.

Val would gladly kill every Shop agent, shatter their holdings, burn their remains and call in a particle beam saturation on the bloody ashes, but the Shop surely did make a sleek, imposing tank her inner gearhead would've thrilled to take for a rampage around the 29 Palms Armor Training campus.

Well, even Hitler loved his dog.

So much had come and gone since first finding Thor's lost weapon, but one thing that Valentina had learned for damn sure was this: when throwing Mjolnir, throw with your knees AND your back.

Proper modern hatchet or hammer throwing techinique was hold the weapon overhead like you were going to perform a basic Kendo strike, and release at about your own throat level.

Mjolnir didn't give a shit for any of that.
You threw IT with your soul.

Valentina dipped her hips as she built power, swinging the weapon down past her right knee, conscious of how the itching had become a hungry pulling that wanted to melt her entire arm to the artifact's handle. At the bottom of the arc Mjolnir became the anchor of some jealous god, yanking at her grip like she'd grabbed a planet by it's root and was attempting the monumentally ludicrous feat of hurling the very thing she clung to for footing.

She bent forward as she kept the swing going, feeling the laces of her boots fray and burst, feeling the stays of her armor stretch and pop, feeling the veins in her nose blut open and douse her upper lip in burning metal and her wristwatch explode and creation itself screaming THIS CAN'T HAPPEN, THIS ISN'T POSSIBLE YOU MUST STOP in a million shrieking-air voices at Mjolnir's upward sweep as the god-hammer burst into volcanic light.

At the top of swing was snow's own tranquility, a single solemn voice, a vast bell's peal, that spoke in an impulse as deep and as clear as the eternal blue sky: release me, I strike true.

From inside the lead tank the operation to acquire, check, and shoot was the work of a dozen seconds. Valentina's appreciation of it's aesthetics would've readily extended to the masterfully designed and surprisingly roomy crew space, to the reliable, minute-of-angle accurate targeting system, and especially to the lavish climate control system capable of keep a ripe banana fresh for days.

She would have also very respected how completely DEAD anything, or anyone, who it got even a sliver of target to direct a massive rocket at was 98% likely to be.

From her perspective Valentina had hurled an (unwieldy, exhausting, addictive) artifact weapon.

From the angle of the tank's commander a comet had very rudely and impossibly imposed itself on his field of fire.

Falling prone from overbalancing, Valentina only got a glimpse of Mjolnir's impact. Still she was pretty sure she saw a trio of eyeballs rocket in obscene gaiety ("we're free, we're free" chorused some twisted internal voice) up out of the simultaneously melting and imploding vehicle's top hatch.

One down, two to go.

Soundtrack to the hammer throw:
Lords of Acid, LSD = Truth.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve4vd5FSIrU
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:12:10 AM by Valentina » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 02:37:59 AM »

Feedback = Glee

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Equinox
Recruit

Demagogue in Training

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 11:31:02 PM »

Yes, Valentina. Much like that.

I liked seeing her in action. She was FUN.

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 09:59:23 PM »

Saw this at Cracked.com, and I had to share.
According to the article it's a Lightning Rocket being launched, but we all know that's how The Cloak explains a Mjolnir strike.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: