Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 11:26:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft vs. Spycraft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft vs. Spycraft  (Read 1814 times)
SnowDog
Agent

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2008, 03:22:42 AM »

Am I right in thinking that in Fantasy Craft armor will have Damage Reduction instead of armor adding to DC of the character (like in D&D)?

What about the power level in Fantasy Craft? Are the first level characters of equivalent power as in Spycraft? I asked in another thread about the power level of first level characters in Spycraft and now I have an approximate feel for that.

Thanks again!

"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:25:08 AM »

Fantasy Craft uses the Spycraft rules with select modifications, so yes to both questions.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
SnowDog
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 03:34:12 AM »

Sounds very promising. So far the best d20 fantasy adaptation that I have seen was Mongoose's Conan RPG but I am getting a feeling that this will be even better than that. Thanks for the answer!

"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 03:50:21 AM »

The thing I found most appealing about Conan was the simple "you lose half your treasure at the beginning of the next mission" mechanic that they used as an incentive for people to keep adventuring

SnowDog
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 05:03:11 AM »

True and gear was totally expendable. It sort of cured the problem of hoarding all the treasure. It really helped to enforce the feeling of the world (easy come easy go).

- Full Metal GM
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 01:27:19 PM »

Big Score features rules like this, as will Fantasy Craft, though they'll be more useful in certain settings than others. Thus we'll be controlling them with campaign qualities. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
SnowDog
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 02:22:29 PM »

Sounds cool. I take it that in at least some settings your gear is chosen at the start of an adventure like in Spycraft and AFAIK returned at the end of adventure. If you happen to help yourself to weapons and cash of your fallen enemies, that's another story Smiley Is that right?

Anyway Damage Reduction and the way to change classes (and abolishment of alignments) were the most brilliant things in Conan RPG. That money thing was just a bonus Smiley

- Full Metal GM
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 02:24:54 PM »

Sounds cool. I take it that in at least some settings your gear is chosen at the start of an adventure like in Spycraft and AFAIK returned at the end of adventure. If you happen to help yourself to weapons and cash of your fallen enemies, that's another story Smiley Is that right?

Most if not all settings will use the Cash n' Carry system, which allows retention of gear and coin from adventure to adventure.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

SnowDog
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 02:31:12 PM »

OK. I suppose it will feel a bit more familiar for me and my players than picking equipment for adventures and then "missing" them after the adventure. On the other hand although all the settings seem interesting, I will probably aim for Cloak & Dagger where equipment accuisition (sp?) seems like an understandable way to handle it (in addition to getting personal wealth from your targets etc. Smiley

- Full Metal GM
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 02:41:08 PM »

OK. I suppose it will feel a bit more familiar for me and my players than picking equipment for adventures and then "missing" them after the adventure. On the other hand although all the settings seem interesting, I will probably aim for Cloak & Dagger where equipment accuisition (sp?) seems like an understandable way to handle it (in addition to getting personal wealth from your targets etc. Smiley

It'll depend on your play and campaign styles. It's certainly an option.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

SnowDog
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »

Thanks for the answers. I really have to pimp Spycraft and Fantasy Craft to my FLGS (when I get my own copy first) since they may not be aware of the upcoming Fantasy Craft that will be superior to upcoming D&D 4  Grin

- Full Metal GM
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: