Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2014, 03:06:00 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Iron Kingdoms, Crafty Style :)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iron Kingdoms, Crafty Style :)  (Read 2148 times)
Ferretz
Agent

The ferrets are restless!

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2007, 07:14:43 AM »

I'm a big fan of the Iron Kingdoms rpg from Privateer Press, and with the release of Fantasy Craft coming up (and it can't come too soon in my opinion), I think that this setting would be perfect with these rules. Smiley
So I have some questions about Fantasy Craft:

Ok, first, how are Fantasy Crafts going to handle monsters? Will there be a system similar to the NPC system in Spycraft? Or will a monster have a certain set of statistics which doesn't change. I feel that one of the important things in fantasy rpgs is for the heroes to advance until they will be able to take on a enemies they couldn't hope to defeat at lower levels. With the scaleable system in Spycraft, the enemies scale with the heroes, so they will always be difficult or easy. How will this be handled in Fantasy Craft?
I really like the rules for designing NPCs in Spycraft, but I'm not sure if the scaling of the NPCs are suitable for most fantasy? Any thoughts? (That was the one thing I didn't like about the computer game Oblivion Tongue )

Second, will there be Expert and Master Classes in Fantasy Crafts?

I really want to try using the Spycraft rules for Iron Kingdoms. Smiley

Eirik

"So far the shock of finding a disembodied, screaming head in a box, causes a greater response." -Result of Brainiac science experiment.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 02:26:05 PM »

Ok, first, how are Fantasy Crafts going to handle monsters? Will there be a system similar to the NPC system in Spycraft? Or will a monster have a certain set of statistics which doesn't change. I feel that one of the important things in fantasy rpgs is for the heroes to advance until they will be able to take on a enemies they couldn't hope to defeat at lower levels. With the scaleable system in Spycraft, the enemies scale with the heroes, so they will always be difficult or easy. How will this be handled in Fantasy Craft?
I really like the rules for designing NPCs in Spycraft, but I'm not sure if the scaling of the NPCs are suitable for most fantasy? Any thoughts? (That was the one thing I didn't like about the computer game Oblivion Tongue )

The current NPC system will be in place for FC as well, though we're including options for folks who want less (and more!) fluctuation among NPC stats.

Second, will there be Expert and Master Classes in Fantasy Crafts?

Expert classes, yes. Master classes, no - at least, not in the core book.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Ferretz
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 05:28:05 PM »

If I wanted to convert a monster from D&D to Spycraft, using the NPC rules, how would I go about doing it? Is it as easy as taking the Challenge Rating of the monster and set it as the Threat Level in Spycraft (or Fantasy Craft) when making the stats? Challenge Rating works by scaling the monster with the average level of the PCs right. Same goes for Threat Level, if I'm not missing something. So are Threat Level and Challenge Rating roughly interchangeable?

E.

"So far the shock of finding a disembodied, screaming head in a box, causes a greater response." -Result of Brainiac science experiment.
meadicus
Operative

Frog King makes everything better

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 06:28:09 PM »

If I wanted to convert a monster from D&D to Spycraft, using the NPC rules, how would I go about doing it? Is it as easy as taking the Challenge Rating of the monster and set it as the Threat Level in Spycraft (or Fantasy Craft) when making the stats? Challenge Rating works by scaling the monster with the average level of the PCs right. Same goes for Threat Level, if I'm not missing something. So are Threat Level and Challenge Rating roughly interchangeable?

That's not quite how it works. When you stat a bad guy/monster with the spycraft NPC rules the 'hardness' of said NPC is measured only by the XP total value of it. At this point most of the NPCs abilities are purely roman numerals, useless in play.

The Treat Level of any mission is based on the PCs, it is the total of their levels divided by 5. This is then used to convert the NPC roman numerals for base attack/defense/saves etc into actual numbers which will be then balanced against the party.

The end result is an NPC which can be thrown against a party of any level. I very much like this because it completely abstracts out level.

As for converting standard monsters, I believe somewhere there has been an implication that FantasyCraft will include guidance on this front.

EDIT:
Found what I was thinking of, from the FantasyCraft product page "Create or convert your own monsters and spells!"
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 06:30:37 PM by meadicus » Logged

This sentence does not contain the property it claims to.

Web NPC builder: http://www.meadicus.plus.com/craftygames/npc-builder/
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/author/martinowen
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 08:22:38 PM »

One more reason to get Fantasy Craft Smiley.

Not that our group would need any.
We decided a while back (and after seeing the 4E Elf, the decicion is even firmer) to move to Fantasy Craft.

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Ferretz
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 05:34:47 AM »

Indeed. I'm very curious about Fantasy Craft, and from what I've seen so far with 4th edition D&D, I'm not very impressed.
But it depends on what Privateer Press (makers of Iron Kingdoms) are going to do. They're on a "wait and see" stance. Rumour says that the rules for D&D 3.5 wasn't really such a good fit for that setting from the beginning, and I believe that 4e will make it even more unsuitable.
I think Crafty Games and Privateer Press should get together. Crafty supplies the rules, Privateer Press supplies the setting, and we have my dream rpg. Smiley

E.

spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 09:22:03 AM »

As a note I did start to do some Iron Kingdoms stuff an age ago - though I put it on hold mostly once I heard of Origin of the Species (i.e. wait for the fantasy one), I suppose it's even more on hold now that there's FC coming out.

http://fullmetalspycraft.pbwiki.com/ if you're interested...
Ferretz
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »

Thanks, I'll take a look at it Smiley

E.

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 01:40:40 PM »

I think Crafty Games and Privateer Press should get together. Crafty supplies the rules, Privateer Press supplies the setting, and we have my dream rpg. Smiley

Well, we're always open to partnerships through the Powered by Spycraft program. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Ferretz
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 01:54:50 PM »

A match made in heaven, in my opinion. Smiley

I e-mailed Privateer Press about the status of Iron Kingdoms rpg, and they said that they're on a "wait and see  stance". Basically, they're waiting to get to read the new rules from Wizards of the Coast. But I just feel that the Spycraft rules would be much better, from what I've seen of the 4th edition D&D rules so far. Privateer Press currently have a great setting, but they're basically at the mercy of Wizards of the Coast if they stick to D&D. 

The NPC design rules, expert and master classes, gear, combat.. Perfect match, I would say Smiley

E.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: