Author Topic: Street vs. Weatherman Underground  (Read 4470 times)

TheAuldGrump

• Control
  • Because The Cat Told Me To...
    • View Profile
Street vs. Weatherman Underground
« on: June 22, 2007, 02:49:18 AM »
I will be honest here - I have little or no interest in running a street campaign. Oddly though, I had a dream last night where I was apparently running a game based around the Weatherman Underground using 10,000 Bullets as one of the sources. Weirdly enough, the dream me seemed to know a lot more about the movements of the Sixties than I do, I may need to check and see just how far off I was. Who knows, I may remember more from my childhood than I think.

What next, Patty Hearst?  ???

Weird, weird dream.

The Auld Grump
I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.

TheAuldGrump

• Control
    • View Profile
Re: Street vs. Weatherman Underground
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 11:48:17 PM »
Hmmm, the 1970s supplement for 10K Bullets might actually work for this.

The Auld Grump

OverNinja

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 04:42:16 AM »
SLA would be interesting. I've seen the document of the LA shootout a couple of times.
"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 11:38:41 AM »

The Auld Grump

I can make a point to include non-criminal underground organizations in the 70's supplement. However, the product will focus on the critical time of mid-70's-mid-80's...a turning point for Empire City.
"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

TheAuldGrump

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 04:19:56 PM »

The Auld Grump

I can make a point to include non-criminal underground organizations in the 70's supplement. However, the product will focus on the critical time of mid-70's-mid-80's...a turning point for Empire City.
Oh, there was crime aplenty in the fringes of Weatherman Underground, the Black Panthers, et ali. - just because you are robbing a bank in order to fund a revolution does not make it any less of a bank robbery. (Thus the Patty Hearst comment.)

The Provos might well come under that heading as well. Criminal 'gang' working towards an end, rather than the crime and the wealth that it brings being the end itself.

The Auld Grump, for that matter the Molly Maguires might fit....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 04:22:19 PM by TheAuldGrump »

Agent 333

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 06:18:47 PM »
Also, didn't the Weathermen blow a few buildings up or something? Or is that more 'terrorism' than 'crime'?

I'm a bit too young to know and they tend to avoid the 70s in History class for some reason, so most of what I know of the 70s comes from Rock & Roll Music.
When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.

TheAuldGrump

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 07:13:37 PM »
Also, didn't the Weathermen blow a few buildings up or something? Or is that more 'terrorism' than 'crime'?

I'm a bit too young to know and they tend to avoid the 70s in History class for some reason, so most of what I know of the 70s comes from Rock & Roll Music.
Like a lot of terrorist organizations the fringes of the Weathermen committed crimes aside from terrorism. Some background info on the Weatherman Underground on Wikipedia. Like a great many radical organizations most of the members paid lip service to the cause, but did not run around blowing up buildings. The ones that did helped defeat their own cause, public reaction turning against them. Ironically, many of the charges against members of the Underground ended up being dropped because of illegal methods used by J. Edgar Hoover's FBI. Some things just keep coming 'round it seems. :(

For the most part the WUO avoided inflicting human casualties, focusing on financial damage. The major exception was an accident in Greenwich Village, where several members of the WUO were killed. One of the later bomb sites was Haymarket Square in Chicago - site of a previous bombing in 1866. This actually ties in with my current 1888 game, the history of the unions makes for some very grim reading. 

I have not yet seen the movie 'The Weatherman Underground', but am tempted by 'Across the Universe'.

The Auld Grump