Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 11:36:56 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Customer Service
| | |-+  a bit dissapointed about the SP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: a bit dissapointed about the SP  (Read 9360 times)
Ezram
Handler

Ready, Steady, Go

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 02:28:57 PM »

I've brought this issue up before on my own - no armor and horse required Wink.

Take comfort in knowing you never had a choice.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2008, 02:31:03 PM »

Wow, when is that coming out?

I said the theoretical deluxe version.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »

White Knighting?  Tap two white mana for a 1/1 with First Strike?!  (I could be definately wrong about that.. but I think that's what White Knight was in MTG...)

2/2, protection from black (first strike was right). Wink

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Ezram
Handler

Ready, Steady, Go

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2008, 02:35:42 PM »

Well, yeah. Theoretically, when would it come out?  Grin

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2008, 02:41:18 PM »

Well, yeah. Theoretically, when would it come out?  Grin

Whenever the Crafty guys thing it might be profitable or at least break even and worth the hassle. They said it was something they were possibly considering. Pestering about it will not make it come faster and it will only annoy them which may lead them to say the heck with it and stop contemplating such a version.

If you want a definitive answer, the fifth of Never always works. That way you'll be pleasantly surprised if it does happen.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Ezram
Handler

Ready, Steady, Go

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2008, 02:45:33 PM »

Psion, is that white knighting? ^

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2008, 02:52:51 PM »

And look, you've just forced yourself to spend $15-40 on a new keyboard all due to your disbelief!  Undecided

That's where I was clever. I made that previous post at work, so it wasn't my keyboard which was damaged. Anyway, it was a virtual tea-spitting, so I'll leave this here and move on.

$80 US is about $100 NZ, and shipping and import duties could easily amount to the $40 US to bring the cost to $150 NZ.

Actually, the gaming stores here just take the US price and double it (sometimes adding a little more on top), but you're on the right track. It would be easier just to purchase the books online and have them shipped out, but I believe in supporting locals.

If Crafty were to bring out a theoretical limited run, full colour version which cost US$80 I wouldn't mind so much - as long as you could pick up the black and white version at the normal price. It's the old 'Special Features' thing with DVDs and CDs. People who want that bit extra are often willing to pay a bit more for it, but there are always those out there who want the basic 'meat and potatoes' version at the cheaper price.

EDIT: I'm honestly not White Knighting here, myself. Sure, I'm a Crafty Super Fan, but that is not coming into play here. Besides, I'm much more of a Hurloon Minotaurerer...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 02:56:47 PM by Wolverine » Logged

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Ezram
Handler

Ready, Steady, Go

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2008, 02:57:53 PM »

Kind of like DVDs, huh?

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2008, 04:53:44 PM »

OK, Ezram, enough. You appear to be acting contrarian for the sake of 'keeping it real,' but all it's doing is looking like thread-baiting. Please recognize that everyone has the right to like whatever version they want, and that their preference for b/w is just as valid as your preference for color. 

Ezram
Handler

Ready, Steady, Go

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »

Not when it appears to be a form of brainwashing, it isn't.

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2008, 05:53:40 PM »

Not when it appears to be a form of brainwashing, it isn't.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear, so I will try it this way: no one is forced to believe anything. No one is being fed "magic kool aid" or being strapped to a chair or being held hostage and forcefully indoctrinated into liking a black and white book. They just do. If you come to the Crafty forums to ask a question about Crafty products from Crafty fans, don't be surprised when those fans are generally positive about what Crafty's doing. That's not brainwashing, that's opinion. To be surprised by this fact is like going to the RNC then being surprised that most attendees are socially conservative.

You don't agree with them, they don't agree with you. You both have that right, but neither one of you is going to change the other's mind. So there it ends. No need to try to pick fights. 

You ARE being contrary. Please stop it.

Ezram
Handler

Ready, Steady, Go

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »

Repeated many times, but the difference is, they didn't do anything other than omit the coloring due to the nature of the printing.

It comes around and when he mentions the second path, one has to wonder if he's realized what happened.

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2008, 06:20:31 PM »

Repeated many times, but the difference is, they didn't do anything other than omit the coloring due to the nature of the printing.

Here's something to actually discuss, then. Smiley We did not just take the color files and print in b/w - we actually made substantial adjustments to that book - twice Wink. The tables, especially Chapter 4, are the easiest example - if you don't have the PDF, you won't know that the tables are still color in that file, while they're in alternating "accountant style" lines. Likewise, all images and tables were color adjusted for b/w to make sure they actually printed in a greyscale range. The darkness of "ghosted" images, that some complained make a number of pages in first printing, were reduced considerably to make teh book more readable. Artifacts along the outside edge were reduced and elminated to make a cleaner book.

Granted, we did not re-contract all the art or template - it would have cost us far more than we had to spend - but we did go out of our way to make the book as b/w friendly as we could in the process. The changes are subtle, but the work was (agonizingly) done over last spring and summer by Pat. I totally understand how they could be missed, but the work was put in.

It comes around and when he mentions the second path, one has to wonder if he's realized what happened.

We're all adults here. Give him the benefit of the doubt and move on. Pressing the point is going to continue to throw this thread off track.

NezMaster
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2008, 06:55:06 PM »

Just want to throw my two cents again as being someone who prefers the black and white printing. It's less distracting, less cartoony, and easier to read (especially the tables.) If I bought the pdf, I'd probably turn the color off when I was reading it.

90% of all statistics are wrong.
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »

Aside from which, it sounds like Portal has pretty much concluded that PDF is the solution for him; I don't see any need for white knighting.

I do.

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: