Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2014, 03:46:56 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Customer Service
| | |-+  a bit dissapointed about the SP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: a bit dissapointed about the SP  (Read 9879 times)
Ezram
Handler

Ready, Steady, Go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 10:29:50 AM »

Agreed. Bright, vivid illustrations definitely help to reel prospective players in. That's partially why the Eberron Campaign Setting intrigued me.

Take comfort in knowing you never had a choice.
mouthymerc
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »

Sorry, guys, but the best games both play and look great. One need not compromise one for the other.

Unless, of course, that means pricing yourself completely out of the market.  Heaven forbid they actually try to keep themselves within a reasonable range.  This isn't some big company.  The first printing was a fluke.  The reality is that there was no way to do the same thing without pricing themselves out of the market.  Would have preferred they do that?

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
--George Orwell
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 10:48:35 AM »

From what I can tell from DriveThruRPG, Crafty's PDFs are in colour at least. Is this confirmed for all of their PDF releases?

All the physical books have a full colour .pdf.

All .pdf-only products come in both full colour and no-frills printer friendly versions.

I guess I could go the PDF route and then take the material to a local printer to have it spiral-bound in colour.

Isn't that going to be more expensive than the book (not even factoring in the cost of the .pdf to begin with)?

Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 11:16:32 AM »

Sorry, guys, but the best games both play and look great. One need not compromise one for the other.

Obviously, this is incorrect. As Pat has plainly stated, doing this again would have had an unrealistically high cost. There is a very plain economic need to compromise on for the other.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 11:20:42 AM »

From what I can tell from DriveThruRPG, Crafty's PDFs are in colour at least. Is this confirmed for all of their PDF releases?

As far as I know, none of the classic releases are color (but they weren't originally).

Spellbound Vol I also only has a monochrome cover and no interior art. Some of the other smaller releases have no interior art.

The World on Fire PDF is color, and it looks really snazzy in color. I printed out chapter 4 for my rules binder. (I wince to think how much of my ink went into printing those green tables, though.)

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Portal
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »

If the fantasy gamer market can support hobbies such as miniatures gaming which cost hundreds of dollars to play, we can support a 400-page hardcover book with very pro binding and full colour that costs $80 or so. Feel free to disagree with me if you wish, but I'd rather pay for the best.

Unless, of course, that means pricing yourself completely out of the market.  Heaven forbid they actually try to keep themselves within a reasonable range.  This isn't some big company.  The first printing was a fluke.

Black Industries is about to release a 400 page full-colour hardcover for the WH40K RPG "Dark Heresy" at $65 U.S. If they can do it, why can't Crafty?

BTW - Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge of Crafty's PDF releases. It looks like I will need to persue this route if I want colour versions of their books. With the Mongoose book binding problems still seeming unresolved, this might be the best route to take, regardless.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 01:22:32 PM by Portal » Logged
Toccata
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 01:35:14 PM »

True, miniatures games are expensive, but they tend to spread out the purchases over time, which you can't do with just one book.
Gamers spend an average of around $40 per month on gaming.  (I think I got that stat from Ken Hite's blog, don't remember exactly how timely it is)

And yes, things like Ptolus have done well, but I've never seen a copy of Ptolus in a FLGS.

Also Dark Heresy has the huge advantage of catering to the massive WH40K fan base.

Fnord.
mouthymerc
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »

If the fantasy gamer market can support hobbies such as miniatures gaming which cost hundreds of dollars to play, we can support a 400-page hardcover book with very pro binding and full colour that costs $80 or so. Feel free to disagree with me if you wish, but I'd rather pay for the best.

That's nice that you can afford it.  Unfortunately, it's not the same for many people out there.  There is a reason that many books are aimed at lower price margins.  Price it too high and you are going to put yourself beyond the means of your market.  If people do not buy your book, then you will not stay in business.  Seems pretty simple to me, but I'm just a layman.

And, as far as I can tell, if the only thing that changed was the colour, it is a small price to pay for the quality of the book.  With all the clarifications, errata and reorganizing that went into it, the second printing sounds great.  Complaining about lack of colour reminds me of the complaints about the artwork used in it when the first printing came out.  It seems rather small in comparison to what you get.

Black Industries is about to release a 400 page full-colour hardcover for the WH40K RPG "Dark Heresy" at $65 U.S. If they can do it, why can't Crafty?

So what?  Last time I checked, Black Industries and Crafty Games are two different entities.  Who is to say what resources that Black Industries have behind them?  Certainly not me.  I daresay that those resources are not the same, though.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
--George Orwell
Ezram
Handler

Ready, Steady, Go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 02:07:07 PM »

Uh oh, it's the black and white mafia...

Take comfort in knowing you never had a choice.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »

The best games play great period. Fancy artwork and spiffy layout are cool and all, but a good game is just as good written up using noting but plain test and ASCII tables.

Couldn't disagree more, and I've been RPGing since the '80s. Sure, bad games are obviously never saved by good graphics, but excellent designs are most definitely dragged down by bad aesthetics, especially for RPGs. Atmosphere is essential for the tabletop roleplaying game and graphics are among the leading contributors to that.

I have never seen a good game suffer for bad art. I honestly can't think of a single really good game that suffered from bad or even inconsistent art. Risk and Diplomacy have little or no art and aren't diminished it. A $10 drugstore chess set is just as engaging as a $1500 one. Risk and Diplomacy have no art to speak of and are timeless games. Blue Planet v2 is very art light. The original Traveler pamphlets are still excellent reads and are largely art free.

SP is probably a better book for being in black and white. It's lighter, sturdier, easier to read, and cheaper. If you insist on color buy the PDF and find somewhere you can steal several hours with a color laser printer. Copy shop printing, last I check, will run you something like $300.

As for the Dark Heresy book, it's $15 more expensive and 100 pages shorter then SP. And Ptolus is $120 and is a camapign seting. SP is a system book. It could be nothing but plain text, tables and diagrams and be just as effective as telling you whjat the rules and principles of the game are.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
meadicus
Operative

Frog King makes everything better

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 03:34:18 PM »

The most important quality I think for a game book is that it is well laid out and thus easy to read, monochrome helps here, especially with the new tables which are much easier to read than the old sea of green. Good art (of which colour can be a part) definitely makes a book more enjoyable to read, so is important.

But to be honest when it comes to the gaming table I know a session has gone well if I haven't had to get the book out. Not because I know the rules well (I never do as I have a terrible memory) but because the game is well designed to be intuitive. Spycraft does this well in my humble opinion, and the colour spectrum of the printed book makes no difference to this.

This sentence does not contain the property it claims to.

Web NPC builder: http://www.meadicus.plus.com/craftygames/npc-builder/
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/author/martinowen
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 03:44:19 PM »

I would call you the exception, rather than the rule Smiley It'd be great if we could count on that level of support from the community, but frankly, the RPG industry doesn't prove that through sales. If you look at the number people grousing about the average book cost going from $35 to $40 - a price game companies started using over 10 years ago - it doesn't scream viable to go double that.

Namely, because we're not selling a Warhammer 40k licensed RPG - the biggest wargame in the world - and a game that has been asked for since Rogue Trader hit the stands 18 years ago Smiley Spycraft is good, but not NEARLY that popular.

BTW - Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge of Crafty's PDF releases. It looks like I will need to persue this route if I want colour versions of their books. With the Mongoose book binding problems still seeming unresolved, this might be the best route to take, regardless.

Nez is the first person I have heard of having any binding problems. As for color versions, we have discussed the possibility of "prestige" color versions of certain products at some point for niche customers who want the Cadillac book, such as yourself. At this time, though, such plans are simply talk, and far FAR away from even being decided upon.

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
Portal
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 03:54:08 PM »

Cheers, Alex, for participating in this thread.

You can add me as a "second" person commenting about the book binding. While I'm not a customer and can't comment in great detail about a particular individual book, the copy I saw at my local shop looked pretty rough in the binding department to me. It appeared to be the same old glue problem that Mongoose's printer has built some "infamy" around. If Crafty isn't going to make any changes to the Mongoose printing system, I'll be buying your stuff in PDF format regardless. I just don't trust what I see on the shelf from Mongoose these days to last more than a few weeks of regular play without the binding falling apart.
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2008, 03:56:16 PM »

Crafty may have made an announcement back in October that the SP would be in B&W, but it hasn't been attached to the official product description on this Web site. I'm really glad now I didn't pre-order it.

I guess I could go the PDF route and then take the material to a local printer to have it spiral-bound in colour.

Full colour is economically impossible for Crafty to do for their print products at this time AFAIK. All the Pdf's created after 2.0 The Pdf's are full colour however, so they may be your best option if the issue is a deal-breaker for you.

eta: beaten to the punch by Alex as I was typing. Typical of this baord Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 03:58:43 PM by Forcegypsy » Logged

Cha togar m' fhearg gun džoladh.
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2008, 09:18:58 PM »

I am still hoping for a 'Deluxe Edition' in color - a pre-order or POD book for the really silly people true fans.

The Auld Grump, one of the really silly true fans....

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: