Author Topic: Question: Stances  (Read 577 times)

FacelessFox

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Question: Stances
« on: July 01, 2016, 08:43:40 PM »
I swear to god I read that a player can begin combat in a stance, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere in the book. Am I crazy or is this thing legit?

Thanks for the help in advance, I've already spent quiet a lengthy time looking for it myself and searching the forum.

Takeru

• Operative
  • Mayor Janus of Whitestone
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Stances
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 10:14:04 PM »
There's no specific RULE but some stances don't limit your movement and, in theory, characters can remain in that stance for as long as they do not enter any of the conditions that break the use of stances.

Other stances do limit your movement and thus you cannot be in them when combat starts automatically, unless you entered them before the fight and haven't moved in ways that break the stance.
It's flawed and unsupported, but there's a diamond in that rough.

FacelessFox

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 11:17:57 PM »
Huh. So I was crazy. Thanks for the clarification!

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 11:25:48 PM »
Note that all stances are obvious, so people will notice you are walking around looking for a fight.
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky

Takeru

• Operative
  • Mayor Janus of Whitestone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 11:34:17 PM »
The way my various groups handle it is that stances are something you tend to do when you've drawn your weapon and are in a situation where you're expecting a fight. If the swords out, you bet I'm in martial spirit stance. Otherwise I'm just chilling around town and not in my stance yet.
It's flawed and unsupported, but there's a diamond in that rough.

TKDB

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 10:45:36 AM »
The way my various groups handle it is that stances are something you tend to do when you've drawn your weapon and are in a situation where you're expecting a fight. If the swords out, you bet I'm in martial spirit stance. Otherwise I'm just chilling around town and not in my stance yet.

This is the way it's been handled in games I've been in as well.

TheVastator

• Handler
  • Everything is better with pirates!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »
same here. When the group's gladiator expects troubles, he walks around warily with his short swords drawn (stance). Otherwise he's just without the martial spirit :)