Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 04:58:03 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Origin Abilities and Costs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Origin Abilities and Costs  (Read 2312 times)
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2007, 05:15:04 AM »

While looking through the host of ideas in the Origin Creation Game thread, I was making a few of my own when I noticed something. Talents have a 4.5 cost ability that gives you DR 1/special characters. This scales so it is DR 6/special characters at Career Level 20. Under Specialties, there is a DR 1/-- ability for 4.5 points. This one scales such that you have DR 5/-- at Career Level 20.

While I only know of a Talent with the DR ability, if my players find a Specialty with another DR bonus, slap some armor on, use the Soldier's fortunes of war ability... is there somewhere where things aren't stacking? Or is this really just a character that is damn tough to take down?
Black Cheese
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »

Thankfully, yes, he's just really hard to take down. So long as all the conditions are met.

What you'll find is that high-level Spycraft characters can A) do ridiculous amounts of damage, and B) kill folks without inflicting damage at all. Against such a foe with excessive DR, using assorted tricks and tactics is often better than straight-up beat down.
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 07:18:19 AM »

Against such a foe with excessive DR, using assorted tricks and tactics is often better than straight-up beat down.

Or in the case of someone like Neo vs. programs, a good beat down tends to be more effective.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 07:33:38 AM »

I realized I was giving a VERY specific scenario, so I guess if you're going for putting the "Why won't you die?!?" in ubertank, that's the build to go for. I am just starting to get to actually play SC, so I have no idea how high-level things tend to actually play out.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 07:54:45 AM »

Against such a foe with excessive DR, using assorted tricks and tactics is often better than straight-up beat down.

Or in the case of someone like Neo vs. programs, a good beat down tends to be more effective.

I was thinking more of Niobi shoving the agent out the back of the cargo plane,

Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 01:27:58 PM »

So I've been going back over my Star Wars d20 stuff with the release of Saga Edition and noticed that one of my favorites seemed to be woefully misrepresented in their current incarnation.

Basically I wanted to make an Origin ability that allows an individual (could also be a group thing kinda like the swarm quality) to make Disable and Repair checks very quickly. My first draft for an ability was as follows:

• When rolling on Table 2.8: Project Investments (see page 102, FP) for a Disable or Repair check, you may decrease the result of 1 die by 1 (minimum 1). You can use this ability on an additional die at Career Levels 6, 12, and 18.

I realize the text might be kind of clunky, but I think it gets the idea of what I want the ability to do across. It could be toned down to Career Levels 7 and 14, but I'm not even sure if it needs toned down. Then again, I could be way off and this could be insanely good. I originally was thinking of using the ability to fill 3 or 4 points, but I'm thinking it might not be quite that good. Maybe I should add Modify and Sabotage checks?
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 06:20:05 PM »

Example of effect you're trying to model?

Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 10:14:09 PM »

The Jawas reputation to be able to disassemble bits of tech and cobble them back together in a ridiculously small amount of time. Was also considering something along the lines of a threat range bonus for the character for Build and Repair checks, but an equal error range increase for anyone using the equipment that was built or repaired.
Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 10:21:14 PM »

The Jawas reputation to be able to disassemble bits of tech and cobble them back together in a ridiculously small amount of time. Was also considering something along the lines of a threat range bonus for the character for Build and Repair checks, but an equal error range increase for anyone using the equipment that was built or repaired.
Random Off Topic funny gaming story.

DnD game, group of dwarven npcs, building doomsday devices randomly during combat, while the PCS hold off the bad guys, at the end of the battle, what ever cannon or what have you gets rapidly dis assembled, and then re assembled into something completly new during the next combat.  It was highly amusing.

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 11:00:09 PM »

[1.0] A number of times per mission equal to your starting action dice, you may make a <specific check> possessing the Gear tag as though you are using an appropriate kit one caliber higher than you possess (max cal III).

[1.5] While you are in a group of 5 or more that share your Talent and are within 15 ft. of each other, the project investment of any complex check the group undertakes is reduced by half. The error range of each check however is doubled.

Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 05:00:33 PM »

Alright, next up is sort of the opposite. A race introduced by Timothy Zahn I believe, called the Sluissi. Now these guys were always known for their mechanical work to be top-notch,  A-OK, best of the best sort of work. They were also known for taking their sweet, sweet time getting the work done.

• You may take 10 or take 20 on your Mechanics/Build, Mechanics/Modify, and Mechanics/Repair checks, ignoring the first effect of the Concentration tag (page 101, FP). However, you may only make these checks if you take 10 or take 20 on them.

What do you guys think?

Also, while I like Mister Andersen's (especially the first one), it didn't quite get what I wanted from the Jawas. The error range increase I was thinking shouldn't apply to the Jawas themselves, but whoever they manage to pass their wares onto. How about something along these lines...

• Any gear that your character successfully makes a Mechanics/Modify or Mechanics/Repair check on has it's error range increase by 1.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 05:14:11 PM by Foghorn » Logged
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 03:58:29 PM »

Alright, I was working on something else again and ran into something. If I use the augmented NPC quality for something like a climbing kit, does that work such that they can make skill checks as if they had a climbing kit, but don't actually have access to a backpack, 150 ft. of rope, wristwatch altimeter, etc.?
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 04:29:13 PM »

Alright, I was working on something else again and ran into something. If I use the augmented NPC quality for something like a climbing kit, does that work such that they can make skill checks as if they had a climbing kit, but don't actually have access to a backpack, 150 ft. of rope, wristwatch altimeter, etc.?

(.5) You may ignore the (GER) tag when making Athletics/Climbing checks.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 04:33:35 PM »

Alright, next up is sort of the opposite. A race introduced by Timothy Zahn I believe, called the Sluissi. Now these guys were always known for their mechanical work to be top-notch,  A-OK, best of the best sort of work. They were also known for taking their sweet, sweet time getting the work done.

• You may take 10 or take 20 on your Mechanics/Build, Mechanics/Modify, and Mechanics/Repair checks, ignoring the first effect of the Concentration tag (page 101, FP). However, you may only make these checks if you take 10 or take 20 on them.

What do you guys think?

Resturcture for clarity~

You must take 10 or take 20 when making Mechanics/Build, Mechanics/Modify, and Mechanics/Repair checks. You ignoring the the Concentration tag (page 101, FP) while doing so.

That's pretty close to a zero sum befnefit (significant drawback/modest benefit in a single package).

Also, while I like Mister Andersen's (especially the first one), it didn't quite get what I wanted from the Jawas. The error range increase I was thinking shouldn't apply to the Jawas themselves, but whoever they manage to pass their wares onto. How about something along these lines...

• Any gear that your character successfully makes a Mechanics/Modify or Mechanics/Repair check on has it's error range increase by 1.

That is pure penalty at the moment. Is that the intent? Otherwise you might toss them a bone lik cutting the check time in half (makes it a sort of variant on the Pointaman's Assistance I).

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 01:57:14 PM »

Thanks for the tightening of the text. The bold is one little tweak I made just because I know a certain player that if he ever gets his hands on it, will claim he can continue to work uninterrupted while getting shot at, not flat-footed, etc

• You must take 10 or take 20 when making Mechanics/Build, Mechanics/Modify, and Mechanics/Repair checks. You ignore the first effect of the Concentration tag (page 101, FP) while doing so.

That is pure penalty at the moment. Is that the intent? Otherwise you might toss them a bone lik cutting the check time in half (makes it a sort of variant on the Pointaman's Assistance I).

Actually, yes. I was looking for a penalty to help offset this ability.

• When rolling on Table 2.8: Project Investments (see page 102, FP) for a Disable or Repair check, you may decrease the result of 1 die by 1 (minimum 1). You can use this ability on an additional die at Career Levels 6, 12, and 18.

Like I mentioned earlier, I really don't think this ability turned out costing all that much. I was guessing around 2 points, so I was gonna use the other penalty to help soften the blow of this one a little, try to squeeze a little more fun into my Jawa (that kinda sounds naughty).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: