Author Topic: Mistborn General Purpose Newbie-Friendly Q&A Thread  (Read 22386 times)

lord Claincy Ffnord

• Agent
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn General Purpose Newbie-Friendly Q&A Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2015, 08:42:32 AM »
How does the Steel Ministry support itself?  It has been a little while since I read the books, but I don't remember any taxes.  I remember only a few ways the Ministry gets money
1. The nobility pays Obligators to witness things, but that seemed to go to the individual Obligator and didn't seem to be that much money.
2. The plantation nobility also leased the Skaa, but that doesn't seem to be enough to support a government.  Especially with all the "special" projects done by the Lord Ruler.
3. Atium. Again doesn't seem to make enough money for an entire government

Thanks in advance!
From what I recall the steelministry (heh, combined the two words without thinking :P), or perhaps each canton of the steel ministry acts a lot like a great house in and of itself with it's own contracts, holdings and deals. I think competition inside and between cantons is very active and fierce. I can't remember where I read this stuff though so take it with a grain of salt.

Tellingdwar

• Jr. Agent
  • The Littlest Keeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2015, 09:26:17 AM »
Nobility doesn't just pay to witness small things at parties. No contract or social agreement is considered binding or "official" unless witnessed by an Obligator. Big trade agreements, contracts, and the like would require both sides to make a payment to the Steel Ministry, probably as a percentage of the value of goods or services exchanged.

Also the government is the ONLY source of manual labor (Skaa) and the ONLY source of Atium. A monopoly on either would bring in a big chunk of money indeed.

ramblurr

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2015, 10:24:01 AM »
In the Allow of Law setting, is there radio?

The book mentions the telegraph, but nothing about radio.

Considering the "wireless" telegraph was invented in the 1890s, its conceivable it exists on Scadrial during this era.. no?

Kurkistan_

• Agent
  • Catquisitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2015, 03:11:20 PM »
There's some dispute over the existence of even the telegraph.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:14:43 PM by Kurkistan_ »

lostone

• Crafty n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2015, 06:31:49 PM »
hi all quick question.  in the advancement section it say u can increse your ratineing in one mental. could as misting or a ferring select a metal they dont have and gain a 1 rating in it.

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2015, 09:40:09 PM »
RAW, no, unless they're snapping inplay as a mistborn or twinborn

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »
I asked this in another thread, and was hoping for an official answer here: what happens to a Compounder's metalminds, ingested or 'spiked', when their allomantic reserves are burnt up by a Leecher?

Kurkistan_

• Agent
  • Catquisitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2015, 11:12:29 AM »
I asked this in another thread, and was hoping for an official answer here: what happens to a Compounder's metalminds, ingested or 'spiked', when their allomantic reserves are burnt up by a Leecher?

They get burned off, though it's harder than burning off non-Invested metal, so takes a few seconds. Also the chromium burns off pretty fast while the Leecher is doing his work, so it's possible that he would run out before burning out all of the target's metal.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:19:28 AM by Kurkistan_ »

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2015, 11:44:38 AM »
Ah, sweet. Thanks.

Looking at that suggests the need for a stunt that would allow the Leecher to be particularly effective at burning out Compounders over a single beat whereas a normal one would need two to get similar results.

The mention of piercings has got me thinking about the viability of ferrings having a tattooed metal mind. My guess is that mechanically it would be equivalent to the metal laced clothing prop (25 charges), but does it seem something that would be a viable idea in-universe? While certain ink-minds would be risky around certain types of allomancers, it strikes me as a really useful stealth/emergency tool, especially for compounders willing to go through the process of being reinked once they've burned through the reserve.

Kurkistan_

• Agent
  • Catquisitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »
There's a fair amount of discussion (started up by Kadrok) on tattoos as metalminds on 17s. Various concerns were raised, not least of which is the relatively small amount of material that goes into any given tattoo.

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2015, 12:02:29 PM »
Interesting discussion, but I think rule of cool could reasonably trump mere science in a game about magic powers.   :P

lostone

• Crafty n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2015, 01:15:56 AM »
what happens when a koloss blood takes a non iron spike?

Egeslean05

• Crafty n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »
Hello all! I've just recently finished the Mistborn trilogy and found the RPG. As I was reading the book and got to Hemalurgy and the costs and drawbacks for the spikes I became a bit unsure of something. I've tried searching Google, here, and on a couple other sites, but I couldn't find the answer.

When a spike is inserted into a person they loose a point (or more) of a certain stat, since Spirit seems most common I'll go with that. This a permanent reduction (as long as they have the spike), so lets say a character starting with a Spirit of 10, gains 3 Pewter spikes, they will then actually have a Spirit of 7.

Does this mean they could never increase their spirit to make up the difference, or could they in fact gain three more spirit and return to 10 Spirit while still retaining the spikes?

Herowannabe

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2015, 12:28:44 AM »
what happens when a koloss blood takes a non iron spike?

Excellent question! One which I think only the great Brandon Sanderson is capable of answering though. My guess is that they would be affected by spikes in the same way that a regular human would, but I could be mistaken.

Hello all! I've just recently finished the Mistborn trilogy and found the RPG. As I was reading the book and got to Hemalurgy and the costs and drawbacks for the spikes I became a bit unsure of something. I've tried searching Google, here, and on a couple other sites, but I couldn't find the answer.

When a spike is inserted into a person they loose a point (or more) of a certain stat, since Spirit seems most common I'll go with that. This a permanent reduction (as long as they have the spike), so lets say a character starting with a Spirit of 10, gains 3 Pewter spikes, they will then actually have a Spirit of 7.

Does this mean they could never increase their spirit to make up the difference, or could they in fact gain three more spirit and return to 10 Spirit while still retaining the spikes?

Welcome to the amazing world of Mistborn!  ;D I believe the intent is that they would not be able to make up the difference- so in your example the character would be capped at 7 Spirit max, unless he decided to remove some spikes, at which point his lost points of Spirit would be restored. The idea is to implement some actual penalties to the player's characters for dabbling in hemallurgy. However, the rules can be flexed and/or broken as much as you wish, as long as your group agrees with the decision.  >:D

Egeslean05

• Crafty n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2015, 06:49:07 AM »
Welcome to the amazing world of Mistborn!  ;D I believe the intent is that they would not be able to make up the difference- so in your example the character would be capped at 7 Spirit max, unless he decided to remove some spikes, at which point his lost points of Spirit would be restored. The idea is to implement some actual penalties to the player's characters for dabbling in hemallurgy. However, the rules can be flexed and/or broken as much as you wish, as long as your group agrees with the decision.  >:D

Thanks for the answer, I thought that would probably be the case. It does get me wondering about the Spirit loss and Ruin. As I understand it from the books, the more spikes a person has the greater Ruin's influence over then is, until with enough spikes he it's able to control them.

How is Ruin's influence handed in the RPG? At what point (number of spikes) can Ruin control a character? Or is it only when a character reaches Spirit 2 (or 0, I can't remember which) while having spikes that they become NPC's under Ruin's control?