Author Topic: Bronze Allomancy vs Compounding?  (Read 826 times)

Shpjokk

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Bronze Allomancy vs Compounding?
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:54:51 AM »
Hey Crafty folks!

Wondering a little here; An idea for a campaign popped up in my mind, then a question to follow it up came; Are Bronze Allomancers capable of detecting Compounders?

My own answer to this was yes, as Bronze is specified to detect the use of Allomancy, and Compounders use Allomancy to burn the Feruchemical attributes. How it would work with detecting the metal I'm not sure, but I have this feeling that it works like this:

Allomancer -> Tap into Power (Which has a unique signature) -> Apply Power to Metal -> Metal is burned for effect -> Boom, stuff

I then assume that Bronze detects the usage of the power itself, not the burning of the metal (which might sound strange as it can mean the same thing, but in this case "use" is tapping into the power and "burning" is tapping into the metal).

Thoughts, people?

Kadrok

• Handler
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Allomancy vs Compounding?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 07:24:35 PM »
I would assume they could sense someone burning their metalminds, since you're essentially using Allomancy to power Feruchemy... but I don't know for sure. There's bound to be a WoB out there somewhere...
Interesting discussion, but I think rule of cool could reasonably trump mere science in a game about magic powers.   :P

pkitty

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:04:16 PM »
Wondering a little here; An idea for a campaign popped up in my mind, then a question to follow it up came; Are Bronze Allomancers capable of detecting Compounders?

I'm no expert on the game, but I would say absolutely. Compounding is, by definition, a use of both allomancy and feruchemy; there's a reason why it's dependent upon both ratings.

SirJerric

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:19 PM »
Until Word of Brandon says otherwise, I am assuming that burning a metalmind is detectable, but the signature would not be identified other than "an unfamiliar pattern". I imagine that the specific metalminds are uniquely identifiable, but until the Seeker has a chance to train on multiple examples, they wouldn't know how to read the signal.

If you want to give a general push-pull/toward-away reference like in Final Empire, I'd either match the direction for the specific metal, or consider using standing-wave or bidirectional to emphasize the oddness.
- SirJerric -
Wishes he was a Zinc Ferring.

Shpjokk

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
Thanks for the responses peope! Always nice to hear what other people think  :P