Author Topic: Pewterarm Koloss Blooded  (Read 1106 times)

Illithar

• Agent
    • View Profile
Pewterarm Koloss Blooded
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:42:58 PM »
I was looking at the Koloss-blooded stunts in Alloy of Law and noticed that some of them are very similar to some of the benefits and/or stunts for Pewter. I am curious how some of these would stack? Specifically Powerful Legs and Rapid Healing.

Powerful Legs provides the same boosts to speed as burning pewter does, with the exception of the bonus Steps during a Beat. How would the 'overland' speed be affected if a Koloss-blooded with this stunt were burning pewter? What if he also had the Extreme Speed pewter stunt as well, which gives greater 'overland' speed as well as the bonus Steps per beat.?

Rapid Healing is the same as burning pewter, it doubles your healing rate. Is this doubling the double, so x4 healing? or maybe just x3, increasing the multiplier by 1?
I enjoy four things: Giant Robots, Giant Monsters, Zombies, and Steampunk. But, just because something contains one or a combination of those doesn't mean I will like it.

Shpjokk

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Pewterarm Koloss Blooded
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 03:40:56 PM »
Hm. Good questions. I ain't an expert but I'll see if I can answer:

Let's start with the health regeneration/healing part: I believe that because the rulebook specifies "from 1 to 2" in the rules - both at Rapid Healing and the Pewter rulings, they mean that your regular healing of 1 is doubled. Further increasing this using the second healing factor would increase the number from 2 to 3. I personally think that if they hadn't specified "from 1 to 2" then it would've most likely been 4 and not 3.

Next one is the movement: Think of it like this; Without any of those stunts, you can normally:

- Take 1 step and do something or:
- Take 2 steps and do nothing.

What both of these (individually) do (as you know) is increase the values to this:
- Take 2 steps and do something or:
- Take 3 steps and do nothing.

In both cases the increases are 1/1. As such, my conclusion is that the boost is a 2/2 increase using both stunts; As in, you would be able to (with both stunts):

- Take 3 steps and do something or:
- Take 4 steps and do nothing.

Also, the person burning Pewter wouldn't really affect the in-combat movement at all. It'd probably only be in effect if you were Pewter-Dragging, and I doubt that such combat events happen often.  ;)

pkitty

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 12:25:39 PM »
We've assumed that they do stack (because a Pewterarm Koloss is called out in the book as being a terrifying combination), but always additively, just like for time bubbles. So "you move twice as fast" + "you move three times as fast" = "you move five times as fast".

Herowannabe

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 11:11:35 PM »
This (or well, something very similar, but dealing with allomantic stunts) was actually discussed a few months ago in this thread, and Crafty Alex chimed in. Here is what he said:

2. In a similar vein, if a Mistborn has the 'Steelrunning' stunt for Steel, the 'Ironslide' stunt for Iron, and the 'Extreme Speed' stunt for Pewter (which each allow the Allomancer to take 2 free steps without penalty), can the Mistborn move 6 steps for free in one beat? Again my intuition tells me yes, given that pushing off one's environment should only add to the speed already gained by pewter, and Ironslide isn't that dissimilar... certainly not dissimilar in a way that would detract from the other speed increases...

On this one, I would say no for 2 reasons: 1) both Extreme Speed and Steel Running use the exact same text later in ("allows you to move as fast as a galloping race horse (about 40 mph)") which indicates they both have upper limits - it makes no sense they would stack, and 2) game balance - a Steelmind using Feruchemist must spend 50 charges of physical speed to move 6 Steps in a turn, which is a vastly higher cost than the theoretical Mistborn who could do the same every turn with a single vial.

My intent was not that they would stack, and it certainly shows in Extreme Speed and Steel Running they are not supposed to compound. In theory, Ironslide might allow stacking (since there's no limit, and a Push plus a Pull could in theory let you move even faster), but I wouldn't allow them at my table, just for personal game balance preference, nor would I knock anyone who did the same.

Now, I haven't looked closely at the Koloss blooded stunts, but I imagine that they would work the same way. Ie: They do not "stack" with allomantic or other stunts, but rather, they are different routes to the same end. Now that being said, Koloss stunts do have an advantage over Allomantic and Feruchemic stunts/abilities, in that they don't rely on any metals or external sources. Nobody can ever take "being Koloss blooded" away from you.

Also, as a side note, people tend to underestimate the "move two steps without penalty" stunts. They are quite powerful as is, without being boosted to "move three (or more) steps." If you doubt me, try it out sometime. Take two evenly matched characters- but one with a movement stunt- and pit them against each other- arena style, and watch as the movement character dances in and out of range and rarely, if ever, let's the other character even take a swing.

Kadrok

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 06:08:07 PM »
Also, as a side note, people tend to underestimate the "move two steps without penalty" stunts. They are quite powerful as is, without being boosted to "move three (or more) steps." If you doubt me, try it out sometime. Take two evenly matched characters- but one with a movement stunt- and pit them against each other- arena style, and watch as the movement character dances in and out of range and rarely, if ever, let's the other character even take a swing.
Coinshot vs. Full Shardbearer (Coinshot had Steelrunning, Shardbearer didn't have the Shardbearer equivalent). Stand off because the Shardbearer wasn't quick enough to hit the Coinshot, and the Shardbearer was pretty much immune to coins. Although I still think the Coinshot would have won the slow and boring weights battle...
Interesting discussion, but I think rule of cool could reasonably trump mere science in a game about magic powers.   :P