Author Topic: Koloss Twinborn  (Read 2706 times)

Kadrok

• Handler
    • View Profile
Koloss Twinborn
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:16:59 PM »
I wanted a clarification, because the table on page 104 allows Koloss-blooded with Allomancy/Feruchemy to become Twinborn:
(Humans or koloss-blooded with Allomancy or Feruchemy only)
Whereas page 107 lists it as human only. Does the game allow Koloss-blooded to become Twinborn?
Interesting discussion, but I think rule of cool could reasonably trump mere science in a game about magic powers.   :P

Illithar

• Agent
    • View Profile
Re: Koloss Twinborn
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 02:16:28 PM »
I wanted a clarification, because the table on page 104 allows Koloss-blooded with Allomancy/Feruchemy to become Twinborn:
Whereas page 107 lists it as human only. Does the game allow Koloss-blooded to become Twinborn?

I would say yes they can. I don't remember it ever being explicitly stated in the novels if Koloss-blooded can or cannot be Twinborn. While rare, Koloss-blooded can be Mistings or Ferrings, so I don't see why one of them couldn't have both abilities because the heritage is obviously there. You would be an exceedingly rare individual, possibly unique even, given the rarity of Allomancy or Feruchemy in Koloss-blooded. It does look like it could only happen during play though, and not at character creation. I may just be an accidental typo/omission.

That's just my 2 cents though, not sure of the official answer.
I enjoy four things: Giant Robots, Giant Monsters, Zombies, and Steampunk. But, just because something contains one or a combination of those doesn't mean I will like it.

Woorloog

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:35:22 PM »
The rules don't allow creating a koloss-blooded Twinborn at start, presumably because they would be so incredibly powerful
The strong options are Twinborn and koloss-blooded Ferring or Misting.
I would assume page 107 is the intended one given that creating them in the first place isn't supposed to happen apparently.

However, i'd say do as you want.

The novels make no mention of koloss-blooded Twinborn, but given that koloss-blooded Mistings and Ferrings are supposed to be rare, and since Twinborn are so rare, i reckon koloss-blooded Twinborn don't exists in practice even if they are possible in theory.

Kadrok

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »
Well, in the absence of any word from Crafty, I'm going with Koloss being able to "snap" into Twinborn, on the proviso that people aren't doing it all the time whenever they want (since such a thing would be ridiculously rare).

I'm actually of the school of thought that if you're thinking of snapping or [whatever the verb is for discovering you're a Ferring], and the adventure hasn't started yet (so a premeditated snapping/become-a-Ferring) you should let the Narrator know so he can decide whether that's appropriate for the adventure. This is especially the case for things like becoming a Twinborn, especially a compounder. I want the narrator to be completely on board with my Koloss Blooded Bronze Ferring snapping into a Bronze-Compounding Koloss-Blooded, or whatever.
Interesting discussion, but I think rule of cool could reasonably trump mere science in a game about magic powers.   :P

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »

There are no known koloss-blooded Twinborn (their genetics are decidedly different from humans). I went back and forth on that, but landed on the side of balance to stop the madness of 3 Powers on a single character. Thus, the intent is for only humans to become Twinborn.

For future reference, when there's a conflict between text and table, the general rule we use is defer to the text.
"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

Outis

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 05:25:09 PM »
Wow. Did not see that coming. Thank you for clarifying, Alex!

Kadrok

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »
There are no known koloss-blooded Twinborn (their genetics are decidedly different from humans)... Thus, the intent is for only humans to become Twinborn.
Fair enough.
I went back and forth on that, but landed on the side of balance to stop the madness of 3 Powers on a single character.
Come in, the madness is fine! ;)
For future reference, when there's a conflict between text and table, the general rule we use is defer to the text.
Good to know. Thankyou for your response!

EDIT: Hey Illithar! I did that RPG test thing in your sig. It wouldn't let me see my result unless I put it into a sig. Turns out I'm the wizard, for which I have no complaints... :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:54:03 PM by Kadrok »

Kurkistan_

• Agent
  • Catquisitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:16:02 PM »
Ooh! What am I!?

*Takes test*

Kadrok

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 10:11:03 PM »
Haha! I'm getting a Jastes-Laurent vibe from our outcomes Kurk!

Kurkistan_

• Agent
  • Catquisitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:12:39 AM »
Yeah, a bit.

Fenrirman

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 06:49:01 PM »
So I can't have a Nicrosil-compunding Koloss-Blooded Hero spiked into inquisitorhood? Bummer  :-[

Outis

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 06:53:50 PM »
So I can't have a Nicrosil-compunding Koloss-Blooded Hero spiked into inquisitorhood? Bummer  :-[

All it takes is two hemalurgic spikes for literally anyone to be a Nicrosil compounder. That is an interesting question, though... can you be two different hemalurgic creations at once? Can you be a Koloss, and an inquisitor?

cometaryorbit

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 08:33:57 PM »
So I can't have a Nicrosil-compunding Koloss-Blooded Hero spiked into inquisitorhood? Bummer  :-[

All it takes is two hemalurgic spikes for literally anyone to be a Nicrosil compounder. That is an interesting question, though... can you be two different hemalurgic creations at once? Can you be a Koloss, and an inquisitor?

I imagine a Koloss-Inquisitor would either just die or be a completely nonfunctional insane/mindless raving murdering monster.
Of course, FE-era Koloss are basically raving murdering monsters already, so..

EDIT: It'd probably be more useful to give the Inquisitor double Allomantic Pewter and Feruchemical Pewter Compounding, then they'd be strong enough to juggle elder Koloss.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:36:20 PM by cometaryorbit »

Kadrok

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 10:51:02 PM »

I was more interested in the potential for Kandra Inquisitors... they'd be absolutely terrifying, especially as they could internalize their spikes and pass as anyone. All the paranoia of rebel Kandra (able to kill anyone) combined with the power of an Inquisitor. Is your reliable Smoker still your reliable Smoker, or was he replaced by the Kandraquisitor while you were away on a Mission, and is going to kill you when you're alone and your back is turned?

Now that I think of it... I have a story idea... kehehehehehe... imagine a 'Dying Light' style game (so hidden character sheets, and you only know what your character knows) where the players are a team of Mistings and Hazekillers assigned to protect a certain VIP, from general threats... only there's a Kandraquisitor gradually picking the team and players off...

It'd probably be more of a "survive the longest" than a "stop the enemy" kind of game...

cometaryorbit

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »
I was more interested in the potential for Kandra Inquisitors...

Kandra Allomancy is theoretically possible if someone knew enough about Hemalurgy, though that's unlikely.

Zas
Could you make a Kandra an Allomancer?

Brandon Sanderson
With the right sequence of sorts of things, you could impart those powers to them theoretically. Its not likely to happen, but you could do it. You could build a spike that would let them Push or Pull. But youd give the powers separately, probably.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27kandra%27

EDIT: fixed quote tags, punctuation