Author Topic: Alloy is out!  (Read 4027 times)

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
    • View Profile
Re: Alloy is out!
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
According to page 178, you'd need both a Skimmer rating of 15 AND a Lurcher rating of 15... 15 in Allomancy to generate the charges and 15 in Feruchemy to spend them. In other words, to Ironrend a traincar, you'd need to be impossibly powerful, with at least the strength of two Lurcher/Skimmers. I can think of one way to accomplish that, but the art is long lost...

Even the lost art of Hemalurgy can't boost Feruchemy above a rank of 10. (It's different from Allomancy in that it doesn't combine with existing talent. MAG Pg. 289)

Looks like a whoopsie. I think I'll reduce the "Charges to Rend" column by a third in my games...

Edit: And ninja'd!

Gah. As you might have guessed, Compounding changed a lot from its first iteration (very much for the better), and as you might have guessed, the limitations on spending were one of the key pieces to making it all work. Consequently, it looks like there are 2 artifacts of the earlier draft that made it into the compounding stunts:

Highest level of Earthshaker: To correct, lower the current 70 to 60, the current 100 to 80, and the current 130 to 100
Highest leve of Ironrend: To correct, lower the current 60 to 50, the current 100 to 70, and the current 150 to 100.

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

Outis

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 11:33:16 AM »
Aww... but I liked my idea of expecting the players to find means of being extraordinary. I guess we can still just invent even bigger things to rip apart.

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 12:11:05 PM »
Aww... but I liked my idea of expecting the players to find means of being extraordinary. I guess we can still just invent even bigger things to rip apart.

Feel free to leave it broken if you want... :P
"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

cometaryorbit

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 03:46:55 PM »
Haven't  really had a chance to go over it with a fine-tooth comb, but I'm loving it so far. I have exactly one nit-pick and it's essentially irrelevant: Wax can only push bullets up to 250 mph, roughly 112 m/s. That's less than the lowest muzzle velocity I can find; low end for black powder muskets is 120 m/s according to Wikipedia, weapons technologically inferior to his. Still, sacrificing a little verisimilitude for cool magic effects in a game isn't exactly a deal breaker for anyone I know.  ;)

Wow... then why are coinshots so deadly? Unless a Final Empire copper coin is much bigger than an US penny (2.5 grams), I don't think 250 mph would have much chance of killing a normal person. IIRC black powder muskets used big bullets (or balls I guess), much larger caliber than modern guns.

Kinetic energy 1/2 * m *  v^2 = 1/2 * .0025 kg * 112(^2) m/s = about 15 joules if I'm not miscalculating. IIRC bullets are at least a thousand. Maybe if the coin hits narrow edge on....

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »
Haven't  really had a chance to go over it with a fine-tooth comb, but I'm loving it so far. I have exactly one nit-pick and it's essentially irrelevant: Wax can only push bullets up to 250 mph, roughly 112 m/s. That's less than the lowest muzzle velocity I can find; low end for black powder muskets is 120 m/s according to Wikipedia, weapons technologically inferior to his. Still, sacrificing a little verisimilitude for cool magic effects in a game isn't exactly a deal breaker for anyone I know.  ;)

Wow... then why are coinshots so deadly? Unless a Final Empire copper coin is much bigger than an US penny (2.5 grams), I don't think 250 mph would have much chance of killing a normal person. IIRC black powder muskets used big bullets (or balls I guess), much larger caliber than modern guns.

Kinetic energy 1/2 * m *  v^2 = 1/2 * .0025 kg * 112(^2) m/s = about 15 joules if I'm not miscalculating. IIRC bullets are at least a thousand. Maybe if the coin hits narrow edge on....

Better to not think about it. It's a throwaway fluff line.

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

Outis

• Jr. Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2014, 06:12:55 AM »
Wow... then why are coinshots so deadly? Unless a Final Empire copper coin is much bigger than an US penny (2.5 grams), I don't think 250 mph would have much chance of killing a normal person.

Neither bullets nor coins kill by transferring energy to the victim; they kill by penetrating your flesh and cutting your internal organs. It takes less than a pound of force to cut human skin. The relative accuracy (compared to early bullets) of a coinshot is what makes it so deadly.

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
Wow... then why are coinshots so deadly? Unless a Final Empire copper coin is much bigger than an US penny (2.5 grams), I don't think 250 mph would have much chance of killing a normal person.

Neither bullets nor coins kill by transferring energy to the victim; they kill by penetrating your flesh and cutting your internal organs. It takes less than a pound of force to cut human skin. The relative accuracy (compared to early bullets) of a coinshot is what makes it so deadly.

This is why one of my favorite RPGs the skill for combat is "Pushing sharp things through soft things that scream and bleed." :)

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

Hawlthorne

• Crafty n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
I have found a minor thing where information is lacking.
Several of the ammunition types change how much damage is absorbed by armor and/or powers, halving or doubling the figure. As does the Bulletpush stunt(a Steel Allomancy Shot Stunt). How are the ammo types intended to  interact with the stunt?

Fedifensor

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2014, 05:48:24 PM »
It's too late for me to order before GenCon, so I'd like to pick up the book there.  Will I be able to purchase the physical book + PDF package at your GenCon booth?

Crafty_Alex

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »
It's too late for me to order before GenCon, so I'd like to pick up the book there.  Will I be able to purchase the physical book + PDF package at your GenCon booth?

Yep! We run the same deal through our booth. Plus, no shipping :)

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games

pkitty

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »
Highest level of Earthshaker: To correct, lower the current 70 to 60, the current 100 to 80, and the current 130 to 100
Highest leve of Ironrend: To correct, lower the current 60 to 50, the current 100 to 70, and the current 150 to 100.

Okay, that makes more sense. Thanks!