Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2014, 07:27:03 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Economics question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Economics question  (Read 4395 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2007, 01:55:47 PM »

So in "typical" fantasy worlds the dwarves are miners, engineers and crafters of solid tools.  Elves tend to be more magical but are known for fine quality jewelry and fine light weapons. 

Where do the elves get the metal? 
Did they always trade with the dwarves for ore or ignots of metal? 
Where did they get their metal when they were at war with the dwarves?

I was unable to come up with satisfactory answers, I think y'all can help.

BRGDS,
-Stew

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 02:17:53 PM »

Maybe the elves conjured it by condensing magical essence into incredibly hard, but light-weight, bands similar to metal which were woven into armor.

or, maybe the dwarves mine both adamantite and mithril, but no self-respecting dwarf would use mithril as armor.  Only the weakest would need to lighten the armor like that, and it didn't offer as much protection as adamantite, anyways.

The elves on the other hand love the stuff, and buy most of it from the dwarves.  In exchange, the elves provide magical enchantments superior to anything the dwarves could manage.

The dwarves and elves still really don't like each other (much the same way I really hate pushy salespeople), but economics would be a factor in any decision either side made in going to war.

However, if they did go to war, I bet the elves have a war surplus in mithril to help hold them out through the war and the dwarves have more than one customer when it comes to manufactured goods.

Also, it would be an excellent oppurtunity for smugglers when 2 sides economically dependent on each other went to war.

Hmm, that sparked a new idea for a game.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
nfactor13
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 02:32:11 PM »

Similar thoughts, and I would suggest that there must be a lot of intermediary groups that they could trade with.  I'm reminded of Friedman's pencil speech where he makes the point that the thousands of people involved most likely come from regions of the world that are at war with one another, but economics brings them together for peaceful purposes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6vjrzUplWU
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 03:05:50 PM »

I'm sure Dwarves don't have exclusivity on mining... Humans, do it in the real world, I don't see why they couldn't in a fantasy world, there's also many other races out there that could mine just as easily.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 03:42:03 PM »

Dwarves may not be the only miners, but comparing human operated mining operations to dwarven mining operations is like comparing GIANT Company Software to Microsoft.  The humans won't have anywhere near the quantities and selections the dwarves have.  Sure, there may be some rogue elements in society that will buy from the former rather than the latter, but in the end the dwarves rule that market.

Edit: Also, the dwarves close-knit clan-based, almost mafia-like, society prevents them from competing against each other as much as the humans (or other races) compete against each other.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 03:45:03 PM by Bill Whitmore » Logged

nfactor13
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 07:06:17 PM »

Yes, but I think the point is that the dwarves can still provide their product to the market, which can then deliver it to the elves, even though they won't trade directly with elves.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »

True, but maybe they threaten to impose sanctions against those they catch selling to the ones they are at war with, in this case the elves.

For instance, when the dwarves find out that the humans are still selling dwarven steel to the elves, the dwarves cut-off all trade with the humans and open up trade with the drow, who also war against the elves and to a lesser extent the humans.  While there may be some internal dissent in working with the drow, no one speaks openly against the clan (except maybe a PC dwarf), or it could be the last straw and Viva La Dwarf Resistance!  (Yes, they are french Dwarves.)

(I am mostly talking out of my arse here, but it is good fun anyways.)

nfactor13
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 07:40:22 PM »

It would probably depend on whether the dwarves needed to sell their goods to finance the war.  A self-imposed blockade might not work that well if they have nothing to trade for food and other things that they're not as good at making themselves.
Gentry