Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 03:18:59 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Video game news and reaction
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Video game news and reaction  (Read 171965 times)
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #3690 on: July 11, 2014, 04:26:43 PM »

Everything that needs saying about Aliens: CM Jim Sterling will/has cover.*

Good point.

As for Battle Born...
A) I don't play MOBA titles. Ominous item and play complexity paired with a notoriously childish audience does nothing for my interest in the genre. Combining that with a FPS design, a perspective that greatly limits tactical awareness, sounds damn hard to do effectively. Bordlerlands had a lot to recommend it, but getting blow up by Suicide Psychos from behind wasn't high on that list -no that didn't constantly happen, but BL didn't have the phenomena of Creeps either.

That said there's nothing saying, least of all myself, that GB has to take everything from the MOBA checklist for their own title. LoL dumped the "last hit" mechanic DotA cherished, and nothing of value was lost.

Gearbox interview on the subject.  Short version, Titanfall really opened up the viability of creeps in an FPS environment, and Gearbox seems to be aware of the ways the viewpoint can open up what you can do.

B) the character designs (willowy bow elf, hulking spess mehrine, steampunk gent, Rob Liefeld Samurai, etc) look like they'll get Gearbox sued by whoever's Deviantart account they are stealing from. Evil Yeah, they're colorful and a nice aesthetic mix -so what? How much of a character's visual appeal is delivered from a first-person perspective?

Team Fortress 2 hats.  That is all I really need to say on the subject of FP character customization.

However, the big draw is more than just aesthetic.  Supposedly each character is aimed to have a playstyle that draws from certain FP games.  Thorn (the elf) is meant to be for Elder Scrolls type players, Oscar Mike (the assault rifle bro) for CoD shooter bros, and so on.  
I can sort of see this game being an easy sell for producers:
"An FPS MOBA that aims for EVERY player out there?  Cha-ching!"

C) I am intensely skeptical of anything Gearbox promises to deliver. They don't mess around with the Gears of War franchise, but Borderlands was hit and miss about the whole trailer/reality ratio. Then Aliens: CM happened.

Um, Gears of War was Epic there, buddy.

Stargate

Yeah, I guess I can see where you are coming from.  We'll just have to see what the new movie's going to be like.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:03:53 PM by RusVal » Logged

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: July 11, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »

Re: Gears of War.
Mea culpa. Dunno why I keep doing that. Did Randy Pitchford formerly work at Epic? Huh?

Titanfall: fair enough. Not a sphere I know much about, but more done well is always welcome.

TF2. Hats. True, though with an exaggerated effect imo. People obviously love them, but I'm not convinced that's they're not TF2's version of the Skinner Box phenomena. I question how many people are hat-fanatics who aren't getting a "must collect shinies" fix from another source. I also think part of it is how few other choices are native to the game. There's just a ton of fan mods for TF2, but jack-squat all that's not paid DLC besides hats.

Elder Scrolls gameplay is terrible. Terribad, even. What's that even mean? Crappy depth perception and curving projectiles? Is Thorn going to be the TF2 Bow Sniper + spells?

Stargate movie? Huh, cool. Mildly intrigued iz I.

“VELOCITAS, INCURSIO, VIS” -Latin for “Speed, Surprise, Violence of Action!”
(Thank you Grrl Power).
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: July 11, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »

TF2. Hats. True, though with an exaggerated effect imo. People obviously love them, but I'm not convinced that's they're not TF2's version of the Skinner Box phenomena. I question how many people are hat-fanatics who aren't getting a "must collect shinies" fix from another source. I also think part of it is how few other choices are native to the game. There's just a ton of fan mods for TF2, but jack-squat all that's not paid DLC besides hats.

There's also the visual science to consider.  If they are doing this right, each character will have a unique silhouette that allows you to identify them from a distance, and via visual identification react to the certain skillset you know they will have.

Elder Scrolls gameplay is terrible. Terribad, even. What's that even mean? Crappy depth perception and curving projectiles?

I dunno, I never played Elder Scrolls.  I'm probably thinking of something else, but the point is that every character will play vastly different from each other, and that each one will be a draw for fans of certain genres.

"Everybody has a character in the game.  If you love RPGs and love playing in a fantasy world, then grab these guys over here, they'd be fun.  If I'm a dude bro shooter guy, I got dude bro shooter guys.  I love fighting games, whatever.  There's a role for everybody to come in and enjoy the game."

For instance, Thorn can jump all over the place and blast singular arrows at people.  Montana, the big guy, lops around blasting people with his big gun, but can't fit into some places.  Oscar Mike plays like most modern military shooter guys, and so on.  Supposedly the next Game Informer update will cover nine of the planned 20 characters you can choose from, so we'll have some examples.

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: July 14, 2014, 12:46:03 AM »

how have i missed this?
warmachine tactics

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: July 14, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »

Meet Battleborn's characters

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

They will cover more later.

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: July 15, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »

By the way, Firefall's releasing July 29.  Frankly, I stopped playing when my anti-virus kept blocking the patcher from updating my game.  Although... you guys up to checking out the launch?

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: July 15, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »

By the way, Firefall's releasing July 29.  Frankly, I stopped playing when my anti-virus kept blocking the patcher from updating my game.  Although... you guys up to checking out the launch?

Sure, I haven't played it in a while so it'll be interesting (or frustrating) to see what they changed or borked.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: July 15, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »

Sure, I haven't played it in a while so it'll be interesting (or frustrating) to see what they changed or borked.
The most recent gameplay vid I could find.

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: July 16, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »

Re-uploaded Firefall last night (and had to jump through a few hoops, let me tell you), which is now available on Steam BTW, and I apparently need to update my hardware, since I can barely chug along on the lowest settings.  Tongue

Oh, and it's currently on it's launch code as of yesterday, and anyone that participated in the Beta are allowed into the Early Access of it.

A few tips:

1.) If you haven't played in a while, you will need to re-upload and update your equipment.  Go to the nearest Battleframe station, and cycle through all your frames.  They are using the classic XP leveling system for frames now, and all upgrades you previously purchased will be translated into levels.  I am a level 28 Arsenal right now booting back up.

2.) Also swing by the Battleframe garage.  All your gear will be translated into a new system.  Most of your old stuff will be junk that you will need to salvage, but you will get a fair amount of Crystite, SCIENCE!, and manufacturing recourses out of it.  The rest are either straight translation of weapons and abilities to the new leveling system (though the levels you will get are a bit wonky, since I apparently built a level 30 Minigun for a level 20 Dreadnaught frame), a translation of all your servos etc. into new modules that you can slot back onto your frame, and new modules that you can slot onto your weapons.

Aesthetics, reusable items (medipacks, pets, etc.), and thumpers are carried over no problem.

3.) You will need to go to a manufacturing station to check out the research trees, also.  Any research you did before will be reset, though you will be refunded SCIENCE! points which you can use to try to climb back up the various trees.  I'd suggest picking your favorite frame, and leveling up their abilities, main weapon, secondary weapon, and all color weapon and ability modules that your frame can take (which you can check at a Battleframe Garage).  You will need to start recollecting resources to actually build anything, though.

4.) If it's been a while since you last played, you will also probably have to do the beginner missions again, including the new story missions.  You get to meet Oilspill all over again.

5.) If you are high enough level on one of your frames, you will be able to check out the new zone next door, which has a rather old west vibe to it, as will as a forest area with mutated wildlife.  You will probably be finding me in the latter, gushing over the Dire Foxes as they try to chew my face off.  Grin

Hope to see you guys there.

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: July 17, 2014, 01:53:34 PM »

For those who play Hearthstone, Curse of Naxxramas releases July 22.  First wing will be free if you catch the launch event (which will last a month).  Details here.

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: July 18, 2014, 09:24:11 AM »

So you want to see the new Doom?  To bad!  You'll have to settle for the reaction.

Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: