Author Topic: Movie Reviews, Reactions, and Rumors 2016.  (Read 27292 times)

Desertpuma

• Control
  • Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
Re: Movie Reviews, Reactions, and Rumors 2016.
« Reply #450 on: February 14, 2017, 05:13:05 PM »
Understood Andy

LSpy Mastermind

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • We have all the time in the world.
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #451 on: February 16, 2017, 12:35:47 AM »
  Even Harry Potter figured out after 7 books/8 movies it was time to give whiny teen angst a rest :). Maybe have a movie about an ADULT.

The Bond movies weren't made worse by curbing the rampant misogyny by making Bond's boss a woman who was frankly scarier than he was.

We'll have Jedi-ness up the wazoo by the end of the year. I think it's ok if the some of the Star Wars movies grow up a little.

What Scott said.
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Newsletter: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+Crafty-Games/
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.

ludomastro

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 17, 2017, 06:10:23 PM »
Eh, some folks like peanut butter and chocolate and because of that Reese's makes a mint every year.  But substitute in almond butter and carob for the "adults" and I doubt they sell nearly as many.  There's nothing wrong with some junk food or "junk" movies.

While I am well aware that real life (tm) is full of gray and grey morality, I personally felt that Rogue One lost out by omitting the black and white morality of the original trilogy.  By drowning us in the moral morass of anti-hero-ness (is that even a word?), I didn't feel as much of a connection to the cast.  Not to mention that the direction seemed to be, "Be interesting but don't let the audience love you.  We don't want them to feel sad when you all die."  I mean, really?  Make me HATE the empire.  Make me want to tear it down with my bare hands.  Make me understand WHY the morally gray, depressing reality needs to be in my fantasy film AT ALL.  Do, that, and I can forgive a lot.

And let's not get me started on the plot holes (Hey, Hollywood, rewriting a film WHILE filming it is a bad idea.) or the lack of motivation in spots. 

Nonetheless, it wasn't all horrible.  The Corvette scene was AWESOME.  As were the small scale fighter battles.

RusVal

• Control
  • There are no ends. Only new beginnings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 21, 2017, 07:16:07 PM »
The LEGO NINJAGO Movie

Whelp, this is a thing now.  We're probably going to get a different LEGO movie every year now, until people get SICK AND TIRED of them.

... I hope they do Alien Conquest.  It's, like, the one set I'm still kicking myself over missing.  Though considering that it only lasted one year, I somehow doubt it. :(

Mister.Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #455 on: March 07, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »
So, finally got around to seeing the new Ghostbusters.  Good movie in basically every way.  I wanted to whine about filmed in Boston but taking place in NYC, but they made that work.  (Seriously.  Set one in Boston, that place is lousy with ghosts.)  All the haters were completely wrong.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

ludomastro

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 07, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »
@MilitiaJim

I tried to watch it for about 30 minutes before I gave up.  I ... did not enjoy it.  I'm glad you did.  And, that's all I'm going to say.

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #457 on: March 07, 2017, 06:58:49 PM »
Dude, I rather want to know more.  I thought they did a darn good job.  Being better than Ghostbusters 2 isn't the highest bar to step over, and topping Ghostbusters 1 is nigh impossible, but I thought this production was solid or better from stem to stern.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Wolverine

• Control
  • I want to smoke a fairy
    • View Profile
    • Geek-Life Balance (my personal blog)
« Reply #458 on: March 07, 2017, 11:28:07 PM »
I wanted to whine about filmed in Boston but taking place in NYC, but they made that work.

TV has been selling other cities as NYC for so long, I don't even notice any more. Hell, even The Avengers was filmed in Pennsylvania. The only NYC-shot show I can think of is Gotham.

All that aside, I'm with you 100% on Ghostbusters. The movie was fun, the cast were funny, the plot was serviceable, and the effects were decent. Was it what The Academy would consider one of the best movies of the year? No, but it wasn't meant to be. I saw it in a packed theatre where people laughed, cheered, and gasped in unison. That's the sort of movie-going experience I like to have.

I look forward to watching this with my niece once she's a little older.
"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent

ludomastro

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 08, 2017, 11:27:01 PM »
Dude, I rather want to know more.  I thought they did a darn good job.  Being better than Ghostbusters 2 isn't the highest bar to step over, and topping Ghostbusters 1 is nigh impossible, but I thought this production was solid or better from stem to stern.

Very well.  I was flying to ... somewhere on business, and watching it on a tiny screen, so that may weigh into this.  A co-worker in my office really enjoyed it but she's too young to have seen the original.  (And she hadn't; she wanted to watch the original after watching the remake.)  She encouraged me to give it a chance but I resisted.  Mostly because I'm tired of Hollywood animating the dead corpses of previously successful franchises and making them shake and shamble while holding a "Please donate.  Anything will help." sign.

However, I figured that killing time watching it on the plane was reasonable.  I watched until all the characters were introduced and could figure (based on the plot of the original and the trailers) more or less where it was going.  Not in the specifics mind you, just the generalities.  I was not impressed with the characters, nor did I laugh even once in that 30 minutes.  I didn't even grin.  And, I'm normally the guy who gets stared at for laughing during a movie on a plane.  I seriously remember asking myself not once or twice but multiple times, "Was that a joke?  If so, was it supposed to be funny?"  (Case in point, the crack about the circus figuring out how to kill elephants - or something like that.)

I realized that I was getting no enjoyment out of it whatsoever and turned it off.  Then, I watched something forgettable in the action genre and was much happier with my choice despite now having no idea what I it was I watched.

Crafty_Pat

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • We have all the time in the world.
    • View Profile
    • Crafty Games
« Reply #460 on: March 11, 2017, 08:56:53 PM »
So, finally got around to seeing the new Ghostbusters.  Good movie in basically every way.  I wanted to whine about filmed in Boston but taking place in NYC, but they made that work.  (Seriously.  Set one in Boston, that place is lousy with ghosts.)  All the haters were completely wrong.

QFT
Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Newsletter: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+Crafty-Games/
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.