Author Topic: XCOM (Reactions, stories, let's play setups, etc...)  (Read 31576 times)

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM (Reactions, stories, let's play setups, etc...)
« Reply #375 on: May 26, 2016, 01:24:23 AM »
On the other hand, imagine the situation from the point of view of the enemy archons you encounter. "Is... is that guy wearing our king's skull as a helmet? Nope nope nope nope" etc. as they run away in a panic. :D
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #376 on: May 26, 2016, 10:50:54 AM »
It is kinda dorky, but medium armor is really nice with that extra gear slot.  I'm not yet sold on two jumps per mission versus the cooldown on the grapnel.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

RusVal

• Control
  • There are no ends. Only new beginnings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 26, 2016, 12:36:31 PM »
It is kinda dorky, but medium armor is really nice with that extra gear slot.  I'm not yet sold on two jumps per mission versus the cooldown on the grapnel.

Then again, it's literally a better Warden armor with the ability to jump anywhere for free.  So there's that.

On the other hand, imagine the situation from the point of view of the enemy archons you encounter. "Is... is that guy wearing our king's skull as a helmet? Nope nope nope nope" etc. as they run away in a panic. :D

True, it's just that it pokes up so high into the air, that I have the urge to mod a giant neon arrow pointing down onto the top of it.  Fortunately, the rest of the armor looks enough like regular armor that I can just give the soldier a normal powered face shield helmet (3 & 4) and it would still fit.

Actually, it's pretty funny.  I've been play-acting this playthrough's Commander as someone who's been trying to instill some military decorum into this ragtag guerrilla group.  You'll notice in some of those earlier screenshots that everyone's colored the same, and everyone has a helmet.  As the game's gone on, though, he's gotten looser and looser about it.  First there was Antonio Juarez, who the Commander took one look at, and said "Y'know, just wear a helmet and try to stay color coordinated with the squad."  As the Ruler Armor designs started cropping up, though, he's essentially getting to the point where he's just throwing he arms up into the air in increasing intervals.  First it was good 'ol Betty Barbarosa in her bright pink dotted armor, soon to be bright pink dotted Viper armor, and now it's a new medic who insists on wearing bright white with bright red stripes (to signify she's a medic).  There's even a crazy Russian who's refusing to wear a helmet, instead trying to maintain a "Cowboy get-up".

Of course, the real reason is because the color combination that I chose (34 main and 42 secondary, if I remember correctly) looks great as a normal camo scheme (particularly digital) but is terrible as Dotted camo.  Not to mention that I have some... "similar" looking ladies recruited, and I'd like to keep my soldiers' characters distinct.  I'm sure there's a "Only Six Faces" joke here, mainly because there are only six face choices per race (and half of them look kind of... :P ), but I digress.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 26, 2016, 03:53:56 PM »
By the way, we should be grateful that Firaxis got to release XCOM.  It really did look like that this franchise was dead for a while.

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #379 on: May 26, 2016, 04:45:27 PM »
I miss bringing along an entire platoon like I did in Apocalypse.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 26, 2016, 10:50:43 PM »
I miss bringing along an entire platoon like I did in Apocalypse.

Actually, I tried watching a Let's Play of Apocalypse once.  For some reason, the combination of colors, aesthetic, and music actually made me feel slightly sick.  Not in a "this game is crap" kind of way, but in a "I don't think I could watch/play this for extended periods of time".  :(

That said, I am really sad that both attempts at creating a shooter out of XCOM failed so spectacularly.  The idea is sound, not the least of which because Firaxis's take has some strong Tactical Third Person Shooter elements.  I truly believe that if they took the main gameplay elements from the Bureau, but instead used the mission generation and progression of XCOM 2, then we might have had a good game.  But instead, we now have a fanbase that is now heavily fortified against anything that deviates from the turn-based roots of the original.

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 26, 2016, 11:05:51 PM »
Eh, I wouldn't say Bureau failed spectacularly (at what it tried to do, dunno how it did saleswise). It's a decent enough Mass Effect 2 clone that didn't really benefit from having the XCOM name attached to it.

Also, it might not be platoon-numbers, but there are mods for XCOM that ups the squad size considerably, along with other major gameplay changes. Just look at Beaglerush's recently-started playthrough of the Guerilla War mod on twich.
- Aesop

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #382 on: May 29, 2016, 06:23:57 AM »
...  For some reason, the combination of colors, aesthetic, and music actually made me feel slightly sick.  Not in a "this game is crap" kind of way, but in a "I don't think I could watch/play this for extended periods of time".  :(
That is a drag.  Apocalypse is arguably my favorite, and I liked the aesthetic, if not all the colors.

Guerrilla War looks kinda interesting.  I'm currently downloading the dev tools so I can play around a little bit.  I also found this pack of classes called "Unconventional Warfare" which looks like it's got some neat class remixes.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 29, 2016, 11:15:47 AM »
My main issue with mod classes is that they might not necessarily be balanced.  Not to say that the modders won't have a good judge of the balance, but Firaxis is always tweaking what classes they already have, and mods is always on a case-by-case basis.

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 29, 2016, 09:42:59 PM »
Well, there is always the mod pack that basically adds the classes from Long War, they've had (in theory, at least) years of tweaking as well.
- Aesop