Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2015, 02:22:31 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  The Silver Screen: Movie News, Reviews & Reactions 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Silver Screen: Movie News, Reviews & Reactions 2015  (Read 6421 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 20, 2015, 06:18:41 AM »

That Awkward Moment When You Realize Heath Ledger’s Joker Was The Hero

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 20, 2015, 12:44:23 PM »

Not a moment I've had or will ever have, and he forgot that nurse getting shot in the face while his "hero" was visiting Dent in the hospital.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Azure Gothic
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2015, 12:42:12 AM »

It also conveniently ignores both the dual ferry bombs morality test, and the hostages disguised as goons who would have been killed by the police.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2015, 02:14:16 AM »

It also conveniently ignores both the dual ferry bombs morality test, and the hostages disguised as goons who would have been killed by the police.

Oh, and using the various mentally ill homeless men as improvised suicide bombers to facilitate his escape.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 21, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »

Yes, yes, its selective to the point of absurdity.

I think what was actually going on in the movie is more interesting anyway - his incessant need to prove other people are every bit as murderous as himself. And I really find it amusing when people latch on to his chat with Dent... His denigrating "schemers" as if that's some pure little window into his soul when that is HIS fundamental modus operandi. He spends the whole movie lying, especially in that scene.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2015, 11:25:19 AM »

I discovered something while watching Fury Road yesterday: Mad Max is Conan with cars.

An important concept to keep in mind when watching any of the Mad Max films is that each one is essentially a reboot. They're not in any meaningful sense sequels to one another any more than successive Conan stories were in any meaningful sense sequels to one another.

Howard wrote his tales "out of order", and I got the same sense from Fury Road that I get from Conan stories: this is "a tale of Max" rather than "the next in the saga". In fact, I find in general that Mad Max and Conan operate on many of the same premises, and both hold a subtle power, partly in the way they build their world. Howard never really stops to provide long expositions regarding which people come from where and how their societies operate. Neither does Miller. You get it from dialogue cues and fill the details in as you go. The Fast and Furious movies clearly want to ape the action of Mad Max, but they don't create the world that Mad Max does. That keeps F&F pretty solidly in the soulless spectacle camp for me. They're just not swinging the mythic themes and world of Mad Max.

And the cars aren't nearly as cool.

And I found the movie a hyperkinetic thrill ride that pasted me to the back wall of the theater and held me there for two straight hours or sensory-awesome. If you pay attention, you can even see where Tom Hardy does some looks and glances and moves that are clearly drawn from Mel Gibson's style, and while it would have been neat to see Gibson come back for one last ride here, I can dig Hardy's Max.

For Car Wars purposes, I can now reasonably state that my personal vision of the game is bookended by Miller's Fury Road on one side and the Wachowskis' Speed Racer on the other. Smiley

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Today at 03:04:05 AM »

Just got back from Tommorowland.

Ug. I'm going to buy it because I want to walk frame-by-frame through the scenery/cityscapes, but I'm perfectly ok with never hearing that dialogue ever again.

Its just DULL. Its about the most soulless 'message of hope' I've ever seen. Certainly not the first time a villain monologues and I am right there with them nodding my head - fury at a planet of idiots I get.

(click to show/hide)

Mad Max was amazing. Epic. It's Battle Opera that is unashamed of being REALLY LOUD. I absolutely recommend seeing it in the theater because the home experience will not be the same.

Tommorowland will shrink down to the small screen and you won't even blink.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: