Author Topic: Tantalizing, Yet Unused, Story Threads  (Read 54 times)

RusVal

• Control
  • There are no ends. Only new beginnings.
    • View Profile
Tantalizing, Yet Unused, Story Threads
« on: September 25, 2016, 04:35:17 PM »
You've all probably come across something like this at some point at least once.  You're watching a show/movie, playing a game, reading a story, and something pops up.  For the purposes of the story itself, it is rather minor, or it is major, but despite holding potential, is never brought up ever again.  Either way, you can see something that would be awesome, something grand, if only the ones holding the purse weren't so blind to it.

And, y'know, sometimes you need somewhere to vent.  Maybe someone will see this, and do something about it, or it'll just stew in this little corner of the net.  But I say, to heck with it.

What little story threads have you come across in your trip through pop culture that you believe would make an awesome idea, but were never explored?

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Re: Tantalizing, Yet Unused, Story Threads
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »
The origins of the Skywalker family from literally any time prior to the prequels

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 08:51:48 PM »
The resurrection of Sophy Kane as Babytooth in the epilogue of Twisted Metal (2015).

David Jaffe has two constant professional problems: first, that he doesn't actually own the Twisted Metal license and so it's production is subject to Sony's whims, and second that anything he's making that isn't Twisted Metal isn't Twisted Metal.

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 09:07:48 PM »
That the Eldar of Craftworld Lugganth know that the Mother of the Eldar -the life goddess Isha- is still "alive" and where she is and that her rescue isn't the highest priority of every existent Eldar in Warhammer 40,000.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:18:42 PM by Valentina »

RusVal

• Control
  • There are no ends. Only new beginnings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:57:40 PM »
White Star from Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.  SHIELD agents who defected with Captain America to fight the Supers Registration Act, and called themselves White Star in respect to him.  While an excuse to have mooks to fight if you are playing Pro-Registration, with some tweaking they could fit into other continuities.  Like when SHIELD was dismantled in Winter Soldier, and someone in the US Military chain of command could realize that they've made some very dumb decisions in the past, so they decide to recruit some of the loyalist SHIELD agents to help build a Joint Task Force "worthy of Captain America".  This could be helped by all that SHIELD gear that the military seized, then did absolutely nothing with in the series proper.

I mean, sure, Captain America and Iron Man can be argued as living embodiments of the US military, but something like White Star could take a good long hard look at how the actual organization is portrayed in superhero movies.  It could even be used to compare actual military life to the rather... interesting direction of life in SHIELD.

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:05:23 PM »
The "stars are dying too soon" plot from Mass Effect 2, which was intended as foreshadowing for the motivation behind the actions of the reapers until the project changed leads..

Technically you can include pretty much every cancelled on a cliffhanger TV show.

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:08:31 PM »
I'm ok with the Mass Effect direction change. Going with "the AI Paradox" and making the Reapers a kind of predatory museum made enough sense to me to be interesting.

The eventual fate of Half Breed Priscilla in Dark Souls. Granted, Dark Souls has a million unanswered questions and leaves threads dangling with sadistic glee but Priscilla specifically still interests me.