Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2015, 01:39:24 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Arbitrary RPG rant
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arbitrary RPG rant  (Read 144 times)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2015, 02:02:47 PM »

If you're going to use what seems to be somewhat important numerical guide lines for things, and said things are kind of important to the game, do NOT leave out the flippin' rules to create your own.  FFG's Star Wars.  Starships?  You know.. the crux behind pilot's stories and the tales that they tell?  Or the infamous bounty hunter and her ship that is hunting you down?  Yea.  Use the books.. ..or guess.  Because we don't have formal rules in a very number happy system.  *grumps and flings notebook across table*  Oh, I'm finally back home again!  *catches up on all things crafty*
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 02:58:00 AM »

But then they wouldn't be able to sell you the dedicated Make-Your-Own-Starship book.

That, or their license with Disney limits how customisable they can make things.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 02:48:12 PM »

Or that FFG doesn't think about those things and so they don't actually have a system behind their numbers.

I mean, it's not like you're playing Mekton or something.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 11:16:56 AM »

But then they wouldn't be able to sell you the dedicated Make-Your-Own-Starship book.

That, or their license with Disney limits how customisable they can make things.

If it's a Disney thing, shame on Disney.  (Especially for the number of ships in the core book.  A little better as they put out more books, but still...)

Or that FFG doesn't think about those things and so they don't actually have a system behind their numbers.

I mean, it's not like you're playing Mekton or something.

Yea.. but then you get to play the "Is the player ship OP?  We'll find out when the dice drop!" game.  I don't like that game.  Or.. vice versa.. "Oh.  I DID blow you to pieces in two shots.  Huh.  Bad guy was a little too high.  Wish I had creation rules."
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 04:13:12 PM »

Yea.. but then you get to play the "Is the player ship OP?  We'll find out when the dice drop!" game.  I don't like that game.  Or.. vice versa.. "Oh.  I DID blow you to pieces in two shots.  Huh.  Bad guy was a little too high.  Wish I had creation rules."

OhgodIknowthat"fun." Lips Sealed

"I don't know, how would you really know how X would perform..?"

"Manuals? Peer reviews? Tech specs? Experience with similar displacement craft? Familiarity with the production team's other works/design family? Ability to carefully work out it's performance arc without risking everything on a "gee if I can't pull out of this dive I'm gonna die" moment?! Does the term Expertise mean anything!?"

Sure if it's a prototype than we're really throwing the dice, but otherwise you really can tell quite about a book by it's cover -if only because the cover will tell you something about who that story's expected to sell to, and by extension what that audience hopes to encounter.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: