Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 01:04:47 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Life, the World, and Everything. (Social Issues)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life, the World, and Everything. (Social Issues)  (Read 1795 times)
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

Do it to Julia.

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »

So how many locals are actually tapping those barrels isn't so important..?

Minimally so. Because of the Commonwealth's local-option laws, there are swaths where alcohol sales of any kind are illegal, so bars just can't exist there.

County-by-county prohibition's bad. I grew up in a dry county, and there was an unwritten rule that late on Friday and Saturday nights, you did not travel on one of the roads in the northwest part of the county without very good reason, because of the large number of people driving back from the nearest wet county, in various stages of intoxication.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

I'd tell an ebola joke here, BUT YOU WON'T GET IT.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2014, 11:40:35 PM »

Hmm, that's quite interesting.
Thanks for sharing, mate. Smiley I hadn't even guessed as such a granulated approach.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2014, 11:58:53 PM »

According to Wikipedia its even worse, some dry counties have wet precincts and vice versa.

Apparently pharmacies can sell wine and liquor, but not beer and grocery stores can sell beer but not wine and liquor. Plus there's apparently seventy different kinds of liquor license.

And I thought PA's liquor laws were screwy.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2014, 03:58:02 AM »

With apologies to an Texans who feel unrepresented by this story, Moses was a Founding Father says new Texan Textbook.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

Do it to Julia.

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2014, 06:08:35 AM »

According to Wikipedia its even worse, some dry counties have wet precincts and vice versa.

Apparently pharmacies can sell wine and liquor, but not beer and grocery stores can sell beer but not wine and liquor. Plus there's apparently seventy different kinds of liquor license.

It's weird, yeah. Beer in the coolers in the grocery departments, and a store-within-a-store that sells things I drink. The laws require a separate entrance.

Well, it's not mutually exclusive.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

I'd tell an ebola joke here, BUT YOU WON'T GET IT.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2014, 01:54:37 PM »

Well, it's not mutually exclusive.
They are screwy, and state operated liquor stores suck, but it could be vastly worse.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: