Author Topic: Computer Gaming 2017  (Read 5522 times)

RusVal

• Control
  • There are no ends. Only new beginnings.
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Gaming 2017
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2017, 08:18:10 PM »
Let's talk about something other than XCOM, eh?  ;)  The Tokyo Game Show has come and gone, and we have some interesting news:

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain - Earth Defense Force without the sense of humor.  And with Exo-suits.
Left Alive - From the fragments of the Xenogears X and Metal Gear teams, comes a "action survival" mecha-war game.  Looks awesome.
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Not A Hero Gameplay - The free DLC that was supposed to be out in spring is now arriving in time for Christmas.  Expect more action, punching things, an assault shotgun rifle, and for it to still be 100% free (for those with the game).

There's other stuff, too, but these are the ones that interested me.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2017, 03:48:31 PM »
So I was a bit bored, and decided to check out a video about "Top 10 Nintendo Sequels we NEED".  An okay list, though I am in agreement about the number 1 pick: Advance Wars.  I mean, natch, some of us are excited about Tiny Metal because of the connection.  As I'm watching, it brings up an article talking about why Nintendo hasn't pulled the trigger, as it were, and to my surprise the main reason seems to be "it's harder to create relationships between characters compared to Fire Emblem".

...Wait, what?!  THAT's the main hangup?!

:o

I am literally at a lose for words about how this is a problem.  I mean, ok, I shouldn't put down how someone might struggle with certain aspects of creating a setting, but from my angle, I see a number of examples of how this shouldn't be a problem:

XCOM - Surprise surprise, moving past my obvious love of the game, XCOM is a prime example about how you don't need many set characters to create meaningful relationships and stories.  Even more so with WOTC adding the Bonding system, which essentially has caused people to call it "Fire Emblem with guns", as silly as that may be.  How could that be the case with a game about mass warfare?  Well...

Squad leaders - It's almost an excessively easy solution.  Basically, we have the Commanding Officers, now we just need to add character to the rest of the command chain.  Each unit will have a leader, and each of those leaders answer to a leader, and that leader answers to the Commanding Officer.  It would also be a terrific evolution of the two different CO systems from the original and the gritty reboot.  The CO provides army wide benefits just like the original, while Lieutenants are assigned to units to provide additional benefits on top of it.  And each of the basic units have a Sergeant who put a face to that mob you keep throwing into the grinder.

StarCraft- And if that's all to complicated, just do what Blizzard does.  Make each unit a character in it's own right.  How many of us who've played these games can remember how Marines were gruff Aliens references, Siege Tanks were shouting their indoor voices, or how Thors sounded like The Aaaaarnald.  Tiny Metal is taking a somewhat similar approach with their game, with each unit having their own voiceovers depending on their type.  Cute Humvees ("Hai!" :D) and gruff Future Tanks ("EXPLOSION!!"), oh my!

Then again, I'm just some random Joe who plays to many games and posts about them on a forum, so what do I know?

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2017, 01:45:06 AM »
Oh hello, speaking of Tiny Metal!

Tiny Metal Opening Cinematic

Comin' to Switch, PS4, and Steam.  Not XBOX though, because to heck with those guys.  Glad to see it actually happening.

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »
That does look cute.

Recent discussions (rugby team chat) have me wondering if Soul Caliber will make it to the Switch.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »
Blizzcon's around the corner.  Rumblings are it's going to be an off year.  Y'know the ones, every other year's just a bunch of minor expected updates to current games in the library.  Sure, they are reasonably interesting updates, but not, like, a major expansion announcement or something.  Heck, there isn't even going to be any Diablo news at all, if rumors are true.

If there's any surprises, I expect it will have something to do with the job listings for a "first person action game" that was a few months back.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2017, 11:56:26 PM »
Something that might bring inspiration to the RPG scene:  Ghost Recon Wildlands is getting the PvP Ghost War update tomorrow as of this post.  And since this is the age of class-based shooters, naturally they have added that here.  Here's the current roster as of right now:

Pointman, Scout, Sniper - Suppression immune Rifleman, SMG with tracking drone, cover piercing sniper
Tank, Enforcer, Artillery - High HP LMG, Advanced Suppression LMG, Drone SMG that calls mortar strikes
Medic, Ranger, Tech - XCOM Medic (OMG! :o), Sniper with SMG, Jammer SMG
Assassin, Diversionist, Sentinel - Sneaky SMG, SMG with squeaky toys, sniper with tracker

I just love (::)) how only two classes have rifles, while six have SMGs.  What is this, Rainbow Six?

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2017, 07:08:55 AM »
I just love (::)) how only two classes have rifles, while six have SMGs.  What is this, Rainbow Six?
That makes sense in an urban area, sorta.  Out in the woods, that's pretty stupid.  Well, probably.  How far are most of the shots?  A 200m effective range does cover @75% of infantry combat since 1940.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2017, 03:32:40 PM »
That makes sense in an urban area, sorta.  Out in the woods, that's pretty stupid.  Well, probably.  How far are most of the shots?  A 200m effective range does cover @75% of infantry combat since 1940.

Keeping in mind that video game combat ranges is much shorter than in real life, and using the scale of Arcade (CoD, Gears of War) to Milsim (Arma), then Wildlands is closer to the Milsim side of things.  There's still fairly short range cover-popping, but there's also much more "shoot at human shaped blur in the distance".

For comparison:

Rainbow Six
Wildlands
(using the same YouTube poster as a "base")

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2017, 03:59:54 PM »
  Huh. going over the classes now. Definitely seems like there's some meat to be gnawed off those bones.

Thanks for the heads up :).

Ok, its actually pretty interesting how much primary weapon weighs into overall class value, because some of those unique class abilities look marginal on a good day. The differences between the Sniper and Sentinel are also surprisingly subtle/sliced real thin.

From a tabletop perspective, these class are awesome as templates for NPCs. PCs will tend to break out of such tightly scripted molds pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:54:44 PM by Morgenstern »
At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
Making some Cyberpunk and Sci-fi :)

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2017, 02:32:03 PM »
Forged Battalion, brought to you by the same former Command & Conquer guys who have been fighting for years to keep the RTS going, from Universe at War (three-way alien invasion from the viewpoint of the aliens) to End of Nations (failed MMORTS spiritual successor to C&C) to Grey Goo (Ultra Sci-Fi with a completely drone based human faction).  This time you can completely customize your military.  I don't see how this could possibly go wrong.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2017, 07:31:03 AM »
So that Left Alive game I mentioned from the Tokyo Game Show?  Well, I just barely learned that it takes place in the Front Mission universe.  Basically, you get to feel what it's like to be a foot soldier in a real robot mecha universe.  And that the three characters you play as are on the cover splash.

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
  Really!?!

Because that approaches automatic take all my monies!
At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
Making some Cyberpunk and Sci-fi :)

Bill Whitmore

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2017, 01:12:49 PM »
I love the phrase "real robot mecha universe".
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

RusVal

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2017, 03:48:19 PM »
I love the phrase "real robot mecha universe".

Oh, sorry, using a bit of slang there.  In mecha media, there's two primary variants: "Super Robot", the superhero version where a single highly powerful mecha saves the day, and "Real Robot", the military science fiction version where giant robots are just another part of the military arsenal.  Front Mission's one of the older franchises of the Real Robot side.  It's sort of how I found out about Left Alive's connection, as I was surfing TVTropes to see if there was any news about different mecha games.