Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 04, 2015, 11:08:07 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Best Bond?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Bond?  (Read 171 times)
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 01:34:28 PM »

I couldn't stand Brosnan's take on the character; give me Dalton over him any day. Craig however has become my definitive version over Connery -- Connery simply played himself which was good enough until Craig came along and like Dalton actually acted.

I blame the writers more than Brosnan for that. Doesn't matter what caliber of actor you have if the script is flawed and the Director gives bad direction.

And don't get me wrong, Connery has never actually acted a day in  his life, but that doesn't make his performances un-enjoyable.

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 11:54:53 PM »

I think Connery has acted quite a bit actually.

The thing is most of Connery's natural traits like his gait, mannerisms, gestures, etc is what created the initial and most enduring version of Bond. He defined him visually. The way he portrayed him was realistic for what an intelligent spy would do given the circumstances with the gadgets being of opportunistic use most of the time.

I think Lazenby and Brosnan were a good portrayals of Bond. Lazenby accidentally thumbed his nose at the role afterwards and was cut out of the franchise while Brosnan was hampered by some scripts and directors bordering on the cartoonishness of Moore's run as Bond. Craig has done a great job of bringing it back to the source material in his performance. The ultimate version of Bond in my humble opinion is actually a blend of Connery and Craig.

Living Spycraft Masterm
Azure Gothic
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 07:25:59 PM »

GoldenEye was an explosive return to form after the somewhat lacklustre end of Moore's tenure, but Brosnan himself didn't really bring anything new to the role, being Connery-ensue at best. He and the franchise benefitted enourmously from the frisson created by playing opposite Judy Dench as M.

Given its using an expy of Rupert Murdoch as a supervillain, and as a result invoking Wag The Dog which came out earlier the same year, Tomorrow Never Dies holds a certain fond spot in my heart. It solidifies Brosnan's take on the character as being unexciting competence, so still far ahead of Moore's affected near-parody. Like its immediate predacessor, this film compensates for the slick autopilot of his performance by continuing to delve into Bond's past relationships which in this case is a pseudo-former "Bondgirl".

Building on the previous films, The World Is Not Enough is to me the best of Brosnan's run, and had they cast someone about 10 years older as Christmas would have been about as flawless a film as the franchise has ever produced. Exploring M's past and by extension contrasting her relationship with Elektra to that with Bond was a stroke of genius that arguably set the tone for one of the greatest strengths of Daniel Craig's tenure. The villains and supporting characters were perfect.

(tbc...)
Manic Man
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 09:25:33 PM »

First off, many thanks to Militia Jim for starting this topic after my attempted hijacking of the Silver Screen thread.

I couldn't stand Brosnan's take on the character; give me Dalton over him any day.

I agree with Mister Andersen on this one, I much prefer Dalton over others, though I also have to agree with many others who noted that the writers bear more blame for the successes, failures, and portrayals.  I don't think Sir Roger was a bad choice for a Bond, but you have to be OK with a bit more camp.  I prefer less camp so I prefer other Bond films over the Moore era.  I thought Dalton had a bit of a grim, fatalistic edge to him, similar to Craig, so I really dug him.  Brosnan would have been fantastic if he'd started as Bond the first time he wanted to do so (after Remington Steel, but alas before his contract had terminated), but I think his light had faded a bit by the time he did get to start, and the writing in his period was not solid (Die Another Day anyone?).  Very good moments at times during Brosnan's four, but always leaving me wanting a little better.

For me, it's Lazenby, Connery, Craig, Dalton, Moore, and Brosnan.

Azure Gothic
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Today at 05:08:15 AM »

(Die Another Day anyone?)

Very much so.

Die Another Day was the first Bond movie to come out following September 11, and they did perhaps the worst thing they could have done: they engaged with it. M's little "The world has moved on" diatribe, intended no doubt by the writers as a challenge for the movie to accept, created the clear implication that had Bond not been on ice in that North Korean prison, the disaster might have been prevented just like all the other super villain plots he's put a stop to over the years. On top of that was the decision to have the lead baddie whitewash himself into a British billionaire tech mogul via wacky super science before attempting to wipeout South Korea with a giant solar laser; it's a jarring experience trying to meld those tent pole theatrics with to any sort of real world grounding. The ultimately futile attempt to establish Jinx as a viable spin-off character somehow managed to avoid being another millstone, but this was a mess of a film. And yet it managed to be one of the most successful of the entire franchise.

Quite clearly, the world hadn't moved on that far.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Today at 08:43:12 AM »

When the best action sequence of Die Another Day is the sword fight in the club midway through the film, then something is wrong. Toby Stephens did a solid job playing the British villain. The rest of it except for the image of Halle Berry was pretty bad. Her Character could have been played by someone more athletic in the role and not just trying to cash in on her Academy Award win. ...

Although I will say the SC2.0 LSpy mod Fire Into Ice was a directly inspired by it. My friends and I had a good time playing it at Origins, even if a buddy capped the Mastermind with threat and it got activated to crit so he was killed with one shot. As Pat may remember: "Ya want Texas oil pipe fittin's with that?!" (Sorry, my friend's cover was a Texan oil billionaire despite him being Russian. Although it was damn funny for us to sudden move to the "mop up the mooks" stage so quickly.)

Living Spycraft Masterm
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: