Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2015, 03:59:13 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Avengers 2: Age of Ultron (Spoilers!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avengers 2: Age of Ultron (Spoilers!)  (Read 1123 times)
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2015, 06:09:15 AM »

Do you feel like events at the beached wreck were well in hand/understood when the scene cut to downtown?

This complaint I don't understand at all. We see Tony looking for news reports of the Hulk, and we see him flying toward the Hulk... what more do you want?

What happened to Ulysses? They went to a lot of trouble to establish this massive operation even Tony had to play nice and then... eh? I saw 1 stun arrow for closure. Not even a "we'll gettem next times, superfriends!"

Hawkeye noticed that they were pretty much all out of commission and needed to book it, so he got everyone back in the Quinjet ASAP. Despite his bravado he knew that if the Maximoff's came back for him he'd be SOL. After they get out, they've got bigger things to worry about than some arms dealer.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2015, 07:44:20 AM »

The Flash proves you wrong.

Only because he's the only hero (regularly) on the show. It was literally my first thought during the AoU final fight sequence: "Wow, this will get really old, really fast - seeing all these other heroes doing their thing but... not quite, because we have this speedster in the mix."

My second thought was that it was really, really pretty, and also pretty awesome. Once. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2015, 10:25:07 AM »

They could have least mitigated the Speedster narrative drain factor by not giving him the usual super-strength punchy powers and by making sure the only thing affected by his speed factor is himself -- interacting with anything other than themselves should cause physics to reassert themselves to a degree.

His combat style should be short jabby moves, because his opponents just don't shift fast enough for the sinuously long full extension follow through style movie makers love to use. He use super speed to move people oyut of the way, but that involves slowly down enough to ensure he pushes them with a survivable level of momentum rather than that reserved for super cars and bullets, while moving someone else along with him should take a major physical effort. Clotheshangering someone should break his arm.

But -- ignoring the issues of whether they should have been played by Romany/similarly ethnic actors, and such people volunteering for experimentation with an offshoot of Nazi Germany -- the thing that really infuriates me about the Maximoffs is that Whedon totally messed up which Gem should have been used to make them. Superspeed and the sort of conjurable TK we see in the film are absolutely the sort of thing that should have been sourced from the Tesseract.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2015, 10:31:57 AM »

Quicksilver should have been Space, but the Scarlet Witch has Reality written all over her powers.

Of course, there is the possibility that the Mind Gem didn't grant them their powers, it just turned on some already existing Kree wackiness and they're actually Inhumans.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2015, 10:45:57 AM »

Quicksilver should have been Space, but the Scarlet Witch has Reality written all over her powers.

Of course, there is the possibility that the Mind Gem didn't grant them their powers, it just turned on some already existing Kree wackiness and they're actually Inhumans.

And the other gems may already be locked down for other purposes in the larger MCU arc.

The thing to remember at all times with movie adaptations - and especially with a series this large and interconnected, with so many moving parts and creatives coming in and out of the franchise - is that these decisions are (more often than not) made for practical reasons that have nothing to do with the actual movie or its storyline. And no, movies of this scale are not driven by their storylines. Not ever. I've worked on films this big - only at the fringes but I've been ground zero and seen how these things come together - and a certain number of decisions are made by momentum, or are taken out of your hands due to schedule conflicts, or contract issues, or as sacrifices to get the thing made in the first place.

Honestly, I think it's a minor miracle we're getting the MCU at all, let alone that it's good.

Enjoy your burrito.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2015, 11:39:19 AM »

And the other gems may already be locked down for other purposes in the larger MCU arc.

The thing to remember at all times with movie adaptations - and especially with a series this large and interconnected, with so many moving parts and creatives coming in and out of the franchise - is that these decisions are (more often than not) made for practical reasons that have nothing to do with the actual movie or its storyline. And no, movies of this scale are not driven by their storylines. Not ever. I've worked on films this big - only at the fringes but I've been ground zero and seen how these things come together - and a certain number of decisions are made by momentum, or are taken out of your hands due to schedule conflicts, or contract issues, or as sacrifices to get the thing made in the first place.

Honestly, I think it's a minor miracle we're getting the MCU at all, let alone that it's good.

Enjoy your burrito.

Actually I'm of the opinion it's the Inhuman thing at play, or their powers came from the scepter, not the gem persay.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2015, 04:07:40 PM »

And? Quicksilver's super speed contributions come to maybe as much superspeed combat as Flash does in three or four episodes. Maybe less. Definately less if Reverse Flash is involved.

The long and short of it is that once again Joss Whedon, upon reaching the final act, feels that the audience isn't properly emotionally invested or convinced of the danger of the situation.

So he kills a puppy to shock the audience and show that anyone can die. As long as they're a man who isn't crucial to the plot anymore. Or have a pay or play contract for later movies.

Then Buffy Faith River Wanda goes and has a moment of awesome, kicks all the bad guy buts, and saves the day.

After his auteur wankfest lamenting that he brought Coulson back from the dead and basically saying that in his mind that Agents of SHIELD isn't part of the MCU because it disagrees with his vision and cheapens the amateurish emotional shock he reached for in the first Avengers movie, his teasing Hawkeye's death with the wife and kids and picture and Kirby-damned dog escaping only to switch it up at the last second (I swear I could see the shit eating, "Aren't I clever and you dumb grin?" on his face), followed by trolling the whole damn audience by ending the last scene one Kirby-damned word too soon just to show off how meta and hip he is I'm glad, no, I'm fscking ecstatic that he's done with the MCU.

Krensky. If I or my roommate ever see you in person, beer is on us. Cheers.

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2015, 05:43:05 PM »

Enjoy your burrito.

This was the basic hypothesis I came to in the case of the original non-ending to Mass Effect 3 and the fury it induced.

What makes more sense?

That Bioware -story-driven, character-indulgent, player-choice-emphasizing, visionary Bioware, decided that the solution their star-spanning epic was to just drop everything and go with a Sopranos Ending because "lol artistic vision"?

Or that someone at Electronic Arts -the publisher; the people who supply the development money- got on the phone and said, "yeah you're way over budget and it's gotta ship now?"

Edit: and on March 6th, well past the much more lucrative and anticipated Holiday Shopping Season.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:46:25 PM by Valentina » Logged

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »

Well, Wanda's powers do look awful similar to the Aether from The Dark World. And Pietro left behind a blue-white glow similar to the Tesseract energy...

I'm gonna go with a third option (other than gems or inhumans) and say that they were born with their powers (gasp! Mutants!), but they had mental blocks in place preventing them from using them. Clap Your Hands if You Believe in reverse. As soon as they had an "excuse" to have their powers manifest they started using them. Or whatever.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2015, 11:21:48 AM »

If you didn't recognise this guy from the helicarrier scenes and wondered why he got his own sort-of close up:

it's because he's the guy who stood up to Crossbones and refused to launch in The Winter Soldier:

Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2015, 09:33:42 PM »

Man, I noticed that right away. It helped that I'd seen Winter Soldier again less than a week earlier...

Azure Gothic
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2015, 12:51:33 AM »

If Captain America's shield is made of vibranium, what is Hawkeye's made of?

Quicksilver.

*ducks*
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2015, 06:23:31 AM »

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: