Author Topic: So what would be the security  (Read 9808 times)

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
Re: So what would be the security
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 08:33:42 AM »
Is it wrong to want to spend a few weeks working retail just to get fired for mouthing off to idiots?
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »
Is it wrong to want to spend a few weeks working retail just to get fired for mouthing off to idiots?

As hard as it is to get a job doing anything, the answer is, sadly, yes.

On that note, read'em and weep:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/terrifying-reality-long-term-unemployment-154818305.html

MilitiaJim

• Control
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 01:54:13 PM »
It is expected fallout from Keynesian economic policy.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »
Regrettably, "I told you so" does nothing to ameliorate the suck.

Sletchman

• Control
  • Gentleman Scholar.
    • View Profile
    • The SletchWeb
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »

I wonder if there's a difference between Australia and US?  I've worked a heap of retail (easy part time gig for a student), but I've almost never had a complete asshole like the one Krensky mentioned (maybe once or twice ever - and to nowhere near that degree of "what a fucknuckle").  There's some stupid questions, but that's just because the customer doesn't know anything - you can't expect everyone to be a Computers / Vidya / Whatever you see expert (especially if it's a hobby type store).

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 12:23:39 AM »
It is expected fallout from Keynesian Chicago School economic policy.

Fixed that for you.

Well, the Chicago School and the certain parts of the GOP doing everything the can to burn the economy to the ground for profit and power for the past 50 years.

There hasn't been anything Keynesian about US economic policy since Ike.
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky

Desertpuma

• Control
  • Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 02:43:30 AM »
There is also the philosophy in Congress on spending: "Why not? The Fed will just make more." It is a bigger issue. I'm a firm believer in this: "Congress spending reckless is just a tax on the American people." - Ron Paul

LSpy Mastermind

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 04:00:02 AM »

I wonder if there's a difference between Australia and US?  I've worked a heap of retail (easy part time gig for a student), but I've almost never had a complete asshole like the one Krensky mentioned (maybe once or twice ever - and to nowhere near that degree of "what a fucknuckle").  There's some stupid questions, but that's just because the customer doesn't know anything - you can't expect everyone to be a Computers / Vidya / Whatever you see expert (especially if it's a hobby type store).

Hmm.
In Ozzz-tralia, is the phrase "the customer is always right" ever uttered without irony?

Sletchman

• Control
  • Gentleman Scholar.
    • View Profile
    • The SletchWeb
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 04:26:18 AM »

Hmm.
In Ozzz-tralia, is the phrase "the customer is always right" ever uttered without irony?

I've never actually heard someone say that in real life.  So... no?

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 01:30:33 PM »
Clearly not being from the "real world", our expectations are different.

Like, you know, paying people in the retail and service industries a wage they can actually live on.

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 02:14:16 PM »

Like, you know, paying people in the retail and service industries a wage they can actually live on.
I've never actually heard someone say that in real life.  So... no?

Welcome to American Retail!

Not to be too smarmy/snarky. I like everyone here. But that's basically the opposite of it. Enshrined customer expectations and starvation pay.
To be fair these days few people are like that in my experience, probably because more of them are having to work whatever they can get. Desperation is the enemy of presumed prestige.
I have some theories that don't really go with the gentleman's political neutrality of these bulletin boards, but one of the safer ones is the Battered Child Compensation Syndrome Theory of Finance -"starving, stressing, and despairing uplifted me from poverty, so I'm doing X population a favor by inspiring them to better themselves!"
Goes hand in hand with the kid who's dad took a belt to him.

Desertpuma

• Control
  • Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »
I'm a firm believer that everyone should work retail during Christmas at least once so they can understand what it means to work in chaos. Having done 2 tours of Christmas retail when I worked at Best Buy in the mid-90s in Scottsdale, I developed a serious viewpoint about customers demanding to be right.

The phrase "The Customer is Always Right" came from a made to order clothing department store named Selfridge's in the early 1900s. Now, some consumers think it is their right to demand anything under that auspice. The truth is they are only right about 30% of the time.

LSpy Mastermind

Valentina

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »
If there's two things I could get behind as mandatory U.S. Citizen experiences, they'd be 2 years in the military, and 1 year working some drastically crappy retail or service economy job.
I don't care much if suffering builds character; I think the real value is in cultivating empathy.

Would really be Freedom though, would it? ;)

Sletchman

• Control
  • Gentleman Scholar.
    • View Profile
    • The SletchWeb
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 05:39:19 AM »

Was that directed at me?  If so, it's kinda confusing man, since I can't figure out how you connected "I've never seen assholery like that" with "gee whiz I make a lot of cash", or anything remotely wage related.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:48:50 AM by Sletchman »

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 08:09:52 AM »
Nah dude, I'd literally just been watching a clip of the Jon Stewart Show where there was some fruit cake declared Australia wasn't part of the real world and Australians weren't human because we had effective gun control.

"I guess if we're going to go to Planet X and say it' not the United States, it's some other people, different everything... I dunno, yeah. But in the real world, with human beings, it's not going to work."