Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 09:06:37 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  My hopes for Fantasy Craft...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My hopes for Fantasy Craft...  (Read 3181 times)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:18:33 PM »

Okay, so, my love for WOTC's D&D is almost to the level of Steve Job's love for Bill Gates.  Not because I see WOTC as the evil satan corp., but more D&D's system bores me.  Now, the boys here in Crafty Games have my hopes up for a fantasy RPG that I could actually enjoy.

Here are my hopes:  (And a discussion point to what people wish the various Fantasy RPGs out there are lacking / doing right.)

1.  Feats.  Dear lord, I love feats.  They let me customize characters far outside the cookie cutter.  Styles.  Tricks.  I'm prayin' for it all.
2.  A magical system that doesn't make the magic users worthless after two fights.  Now, I know Crafty Games has a magic system in place.. just saying... in most other games I've been exposed to... you use all your spells in a rapid burst and then your melee is awful.
3.  Skills that mean something.  Maybe even a skill set for sword play? 
4.  Martial Arts.  Samurai.  Ninja.  And the various mystical squinty guys who can put their fists through entire european blonde haired armies.  (I just summed up every Kung Fu Film ever.)
5.  Give gods a purpose.  Please.  I always hear Zues smiting people.. but.. really.. when was the last time Zues had a rule section?  Smiley
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 01:39:29 PM »

2.  A magical system that doesn't make the magic users worthless after two fights.  Now, I know Crafty Games has a magic system in place.. just saying... in most other games I've been exposed to... you use all your spells in a rapid burst and then your melee is awful.

I think this one will be easily fixed. Game time is not done in does, but in scenes, sessions, and missions. That change alone will have an impact on the traditional spell-caster. If spellbound is any indication, spell points are given by scene.

4.  Martial Arts.  Samurai.  Ninja.  And the various mystical squinty guys who can put their fists through entire european blonde haired armies.  (I just summed up every Kung Fu Film ever.)
Ooh. Don't forget to add Haruchai.  Cool
5.  Give gods a purpose.  Please.  I always hear Zues smiting people.. but.. really.. when was the last time Zues had a rule section?  Smiley
I'm touchy about this one. Knights of the Dinner Table has occasionally mocked the "let's stat out the gods" approach. One is B.A. with a look of shock on his face when he discovered that Hard 8 had statted out God. Another was Bob telling a war story to Dave about taking on God. "...And can you believe he had 4 attacks per round. Unfair."

If gods are gods, they are plot elements. Giving them game stats makes them something less than gods.

I'd actually be much happier if we could get clerics (sorry, priests) away from that pseudo-polytheistic mold of D&D. Something with more verisimilitude. (Ok, I've used my vocab word for the day.)

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Aragathor
Handler

The Black Mouse

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »

D&D 's dead, savvy?

1.  Feats.  Dear lord, I love feats.  They let me customize characters far outside the cookie cutter.  Styles.  Tricks.  I'm prayin' for it all.
It would be nice to see a few, but let's not fool ourselves, a lot of stuff is already here (PMP, WoF, SC 2.0).

3.  Martial Arts.  Samurai.  Ninja.  And the various mystical squinty guys who can put their fists through entire european blonde haired armies.  (I just summed up every Kung Fu Film ever.)
Let's turn the cat around. Swashbucklers who can outdo Jack Sparrow, Conquistadors who upon seeing a sea of enemies say "piece of cake". I want to see musketeers AND Richelieu-like characters, I want intrigue, swordplay and over the top heroes.

5.  Give gods a purpose.
Give people a choice. Some like to have polytheistic pantheons with gods interfering on a daily basis. Some like it more withdrawn, and some like to have divine intervention as the most unlikely thing at all.

6. Melee weapons that are different from each other. More realism, please.

Proud member of the Crafty Freelancer Posse®.

True nobility can not be inherited, it must be achieved.

"Endure and thrive."
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 01:56:41 PM »

1. I agree, but as an expansion to Spycraft I don't see that being a problem.
2. We've already pretty much seen the magic system, basics-wise and it seems to work okay.
3. Skills are also already well covered, they can hardly undo it, as to swordplay skills - most fancy manouvres do come under skills...
4. I tend to prefer my fantasy as a bit more classic - so martial arts aren't a requirement - that said SC & WoF cover this pretty well anyway.
5. I'm not sure quite what you're looking at here, I don't want to see gods statted out as characters for the most part (though an Exalted-like setting would require it). But I would like to see God/s have a greater function over the Priest class at least.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 02:29:07 PM »

Let me rephase "giving gods a purpose".

Less "Stat Blocks" and more like.. "Karma."

Curses and Blessings dependent on how well liked or how well disliked you are by a certain religion.  Like.. if you blow up a certain church, you get X effect for X scenes or.. something. 
spinningdice
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 06:22:50 PM »

Gods (or perhaps priestly orders) as Allegiencies would be good. Give them bonus Rep for things in-line with their order (I mean like big things) and the exposure rules would work nicely for religious taboos etc. Then let them spend their Rep on miracles...
tenebrae
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 06:45:27 PM »

Perhaps a mechanic that allows you to burn Reputation to gain additional action dice, for minor miracles.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 12:14:04 PM »

Given what we came up with at the Crafty retreat, I suspect you'll be quite pleased with Reputation options in Fantasy Craft.  Grin

As to gods, well... You'll probably have a better idea how we're dealing with them come Christmas.

Good stuff. Keep it comin'!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 04:32:30 PM »

Eberron has done the best re: D&D and the 'gods' so far IMO. As for me, I already see the tools lying around, I'm not worried that the Crafty team will put them to good use.

Re: ninja's, bleh. I want to see them be interesting in a way that doesn't make a sword and board fighter look like an idiot. I'd like to see mechanics that make a cool concept playable and fun, not suboptimal.

This is already sold sight unseen, but then Crafty hasn't disappointed me yet.

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh.
spinningdice
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 04:51:57 PM »

Pretty much all Crafty products are a sale for me, bar Bag Full of Guns & the 1.0 pdfs.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »

Ninja's are covered in World on Fire. They are more of dark gods of infiltration and assassination that mowing down unending waves of mooks. The way they are designed is while playing a ninja if your combats last more than 2 rounds, you've probably done something wrong. But during that first round... damn. They are pretty much a pure bundle of glorious stelth/infiltration, quick-kill, and situational awareness class abilities.

If you want  to do a 'movie' ninja who slaughters hordes, mono-class a Martial Artist (found in both WoF and FantasyCraft) and keep your Sneak maxed and pick up a couple supporting skill feats. The poor black ninjasbetween you and the damsel in distress won't stand a chance.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 05:04:44 PM »

Okay, so, my love for WOTC's D&D is almost to the level of Steve Job's love for Bill Gates.  Not because I see WOTC as the evil satan corp., but more D&D's system bores me.  Now, the boys here in Crafty Games have my hopes up for a fantasy RPG that I could actually enjoy.

I think we are onthe right track to revive interest for a lot of people. The combinatio of toolkit and multiple working example settings seems pretty strong.

Here are my hopes:  (And a discussion point to what people wish the various Fantasy RPGs out there are lacking / doing right.)

Thy wish be granted. We expect to use some of the concepts in Practice Makes Perfect to introduce a spread of minor abilities that can be selected by any class interchangably. Plus a spread of feats to cover the more obvious possibilites of fantasy play.

Granted. Spellbound provided a working solution for that dilema by making spell resource management much more of a per scene proposition. And we also have some abilites that only kick in once you are out of spell points, meaning that throwing your entire mass of magical fury down range may actually make you stronger when using your non-magical abilities afterwards.

3.  Skills that mean something.  Maybe even a skill set for sword play?

No worries there. Core Spycraft combat offers a lot of ways to use skills rather than just make attack checks and we'll be reinfircing that in a number of clever ways. Also, once you have the ability to keep items from mission to mission. the option of making your own stuff becomes more useful.

Yup. Martial Artist is in there and Lancer is my preffered samurai-makin' base class option. There won't be any East > West bias, but the will be Player Character Cool >> Stock NPC cool in many, many ways. With an Eastern culture based setting in the mix, you'll get a number of options and tools with eastern flair. And I'm a L5R fan of old, so I'm sure a few useful bits inspired by that will show up here or in the book Smiley.

We've already got a few ideas about that...

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Ferretz
Agent

The ferrets are restless!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 05:20:51 PM »

Just want to pitch in some of my hopes for Fantasy Craft here. Smiley

-Strong, supported stettings: From the previews, I really like Sunchaser. How much information will there be for the included settings? Will we see supporting pdfs? Maps?

-Please no über-NPCs: Let the PCs be the main heroes of the setting. No Drizzts and Elminsters, please.

-Crafting?: No, not some World of Warcraft mass-fabrication of magical axes. But one of the scenes in Return of the King that gets me every time is the reforging of Narsil into Anduril, Flame of the West. Let there be some rules for the crafting of weapons and gear that will really mean something to the characters. The D&D setting Midnight had some really good takes on magical items, although these could not be crafted. These "Covenant Items" grew in power as the characters did, making them very personal.

-Battle Rules: Rules for large scale battle scenes that won't devolve into some tabletop wargame. 

Cheers,

Eirik

"So far the shock of finding a disembodied, screaming head in a box, causes a greater response." -Result of Brainiac science experiment.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 05:52:58 PM »

Crafty's been somewhat quiet about that.

There will likely be high power special and full stated NPCs in some of the worlds serving threat, contact, leadership and iconic roles. There are in World on Fire. There will likely also be highly powerful statless NPCs as well. (Like Santa.) The players do not need to be the main heroes of the world. They should however be the main heroes of the story. These means deus ex machina should be reserved for when the GM has screwed up by underestimating what he's throwing the players up against and there's about to be a TPK. Drizzit and Elminster have been misused by GMs, authors, and TSR/WotC since they first appeared. I doubt the setting authors will make the same mistakes.

Magic items in FC and Spellbound are essentially gadgets under a different name. They're made and modified with a Science(Magecraft) check following the same rules as a Science(Super-Science) check. Magic items can grow using standard rules since as a character goes up in level he has more Wealth to spend on Possessions. how this relates to the cash and carry gear system, we'll have to see when the Big Score or FC comes out.

There will be a mass combat Dramatic Conflict. There's been some commentary that it will work for large battles between armies and for combats involving small highly capable groups vs large hordes of opponents.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 01:34:13 PM »

-Strong, supported stettings: From the previews, I really like Sunchaser. How much information will there be for the included settings? Will we see supporting pdfs? Maps?

Level of detail in settings and whether any will see supporting PDFs remains to be seen (and will have a lot to do with response to them, honestly). Maps will be included where useful and/or necessary.

-Please no über-NPCs: Let the PCs be the main heroes of the setting. No Drizzts and Elminsters, please.

Some settings may include some feature NPCs, though we're not sure which yet. It'll depend entirely on the needs of each setting. Characters by default take different roles in different settings - some at the lower end of the stat scale, some not so much, and those decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis. Rest assured, though, that all the settings will showcase the characters as the focus of the action. Even in World on Fire, which is designed to spin a little out of the characters' control, teams take pivotal roles.

-Crafting?: No, not some World of Warcraft mass-fabrication of magical axes. But one of the scenes in Return of the King that gets me every time is the reforging of Narsil into Anduril, Flame of the West. Let there be some rules for the crafting of weapons and gear that will really mean something to the characters. The D&D setting Midnight had some really good takes on magical items, although these could not be crafted. These "Covenant Items" grew in power as the characters did, making them very personal.

There will be crafting rules as described. We're also working on more personal crafting options, but we're not ready to talk about them yet.

-Battle Rules: Rules for large scale battle scenes that won't devolve into some tabletop wargame.

You'll be well covered on this front. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »