Author Topic: Andersen's Little Garden Centre of Horrors  (Read 4876 times)

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Andersen's Little Garden Centre of Horrors
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:05:15 AM »
Species

Alraune
The Alraune are said to be an alchemical creation taken on a life of its own, born from soil fertilised by the seed of the dead and fed by their blood. There may well be truth to that tale given how often members of the species are found near battlefields and graveyards, though it may simply be their botanical nature responding to a rich supply of food, which lends them a sinsiter reputation. In their natural state they look like green-hued copies of other species, a trait they can learn to repress in order to pass unnoticed amongst the particular species they resemble, though their brilliant green blood remains an instant giveaway. As a result of their ability to mimic other species, they are frequently referred to by the epithet of 'Pod People', (as in the saying "Two peas in a pod").
   Common Personality Traits: Passionate, secretive, reverent of nature
   Common Physical Traits: Green
   Example Names: Briar, Ivy, Thorn
   Splinter Race Feats: Corpse Plant, New Leaf
   Type: Medium humanoid plant (1x1, Reach 1). Your maximum wounds are equal your Constitution score.
•  Attributes: No modifiers
•  Base Speed: 30 ft
•  Damage Vulnerability (Fire): Each fire die inflicts a minimum of half its highest face value in damage and you are sickened for 1/2 damage rounds.
•  Lean Season: You require only one-quarter the normal amount of food for a character your size to survive.
•  Mimicry: Choose 1 other non-plant Species. When disguising yourself as this species you are always considered to have a disguise kit, and you ignore Species, Sex, and Size penalties. Further, you are considered to be a member of that species for all prerequisites, requirements, and targeting.
•  Natural Camouflage: Choose forest/jungle or swamp. You gain a +5 gear bonus with Blend checks while in that terrain.
•  Reviled: The starting Disposition of anyone aware of your species who does not share your native culture decreases by 10.

Species Feats

Assassin Vine
     You really know how to reach out and touch someone.
     Prerequisites: Plant type.
     Benefit: You are considered to be armed with 2 bullwhips at all times, which may be neither thrown nor disarmed. When concealed they are each treated as Fine in size, and readying one or both takes a full round action. You do not need to hold these weapons in your hands to use them, but while they are readied errors rolled with any other attack may be activated for one less action die than normal. If broken, they regenerate at the rate of one per day. You may purchase upgrades for this weapon for triple the normal price, but you must upgrade both at the same time and in the same manner (for a total of 6× the normal cost). Finally, this feat does not convey proficiency.
     Special: This weapons granted by feat may benefit from the Enhanced Natural Attack feat.

Corpse Flower
The phrase "You are what you eat" is literally true for you.
     Prerequisites: Plant type
     Benefit: You gain the devour quality (see Fantasy Craft, pages 233), and the starting Disposition of anyone aware you possess this feat who does not share your native culture decreases by 10. Once per session you may spend 24 hrs of continuous downtime -- during which you are considered helpless -- to take on the exact appearance and species/talent of a being you have just devoured. You may reassign your origin skills, attribute points, and Career Level-based attribute increases as if creating a new character, but you must have the same final Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. If you have ranks in a skill that is no longer a class or origin skill for you, those ranks are suppressed. If you have feats (particularly species feats) you no longer qualify for those feats are suppressed. You retain your Plant type and any form of damage vulnerability or achilles heel you normally posses but lose access to the rest of your original Species until you spend another 24 hrs of downtime to regain it.
     Special: Each time you benefit from your Corpse Flower feat, with the GM' permission you may surrender a starting action die to gain a temporary species feat corresponding to one belonging to the original character. Any such feat gained in this fashion does not count towards the number of species feats you have and is lost the next time you change form (but may be re-selected for the new host).
     Tips: Changing a character’s Species/Talent can set off a cascade of alterations to the final character. Allow the player time to prepare a new character sheet. In the event of any irreconcilable changes, any abilities, options, or benefits that cannot be resolved are suppressed until the character returns to a host body that can support those features.

Living Cornucopia (via Morgenstern)
     Your bounty is unending.
     Benefit: At the beginning of each scene and downtime you are considered to have 50s x your starting action dice in materials appropriate to the creation of any elixir. This material cannot be preserved for use beyond the current scene or downtime, but can be used by both yourself and other characters in the creation of elixirs.

New Leaf
     [...]
     Olive Branch: You are more adept at interacting with people than most of your kind. If you have more levels in either Courtier or Sage than any other base class, you gain the next level's class abilities for that class. If you do not (or if you reach level 20 in either class), you instead gain Repartee Basics as a temporary feat. You gain no other benefits from the next level such as skill points, vitality, base attack bonus, saves, etc. You may not combine abilities of this type to gain class abilities 2 or more levels above your current level.

Grafted
You are a chimera, branching the divide between rootwalkers and the races of flesh by appearing as one of them.
     Prerequisites: Rootwalker, level 1 only
     Benefit: You loose lumbering and thick hide, and your Achilles Heel (Fire) is replaced by Damage Vulnerability (Fire) — each fire die inflicts a minimum of half its highest face value in damage and you are sickened for 1/2 damage rounds. When gaining this feat you must choose a second non-plant species: you are considered to be a member of that species in addition to your own for all prerequisites, requirements, and targeting. Additionally, you gain a bonus language and study related to the chosen species. Finally, you may reduce any attribute by 2 to purchase any Level-1 only feat available to your chosen species.
     Special: You may reduce any attribute by 2 to purchase any Level-1 only feat available to Rootwalkers.

Rootstock
*Points and shrieks*
     Prerequisites: Grafted
     Benefit: You are always considered to have a disguise kit. When you make Disguise checks, you ignore Species and Size penalties, and your default appearance, size, and footprint becomes that of your chosen species when disguising yourself as one of them. Additionally, each time you gain a new level you may spend 24 hours of continuous downtime to replace your chosen species -- and dependant splinter feats -- with a new one.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:32:56 AM by Mister Andersen »

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
Re: New option for New Leaf feat.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 02:53:40 AM »
So, thoughts?

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:51:44 AM »
   Olive Branch: You are a chimera, intended to cross the divide between rootwalkers and the races of flesh as ambassador or spy. You loose lumbering and thick hide, and your Achilles Heel (Fire) is replaced by Damage Vulnerability (Fire) — each fire die inflicts a minimum of half its highest face value in damage and you are sickened for 1/2 damage rounds. Additionally when gaining this feat you must choose a second species: you are considered to be a member of that species in addition to your own for all prerequisites, requirements, and targeting, Further, you are always considered to have a disguise kit, may ignore Species and Size penalties with Disguise checks, and your general appearance, size, and footprint becomes that of the chosen species when disguising yourself as one of them. Finally, you may reduce any attribute by 2 to purchase any Level-1 only feat available to your chosen species.

I think its vastly too complicated as an option for a multi-branched feat like New Leaf. Also, given that you've gone to all the trouble of making it line up with any splinter race of the sprecies being mimiced, you might as well allow it to work with any sub-type of rootwalker by making it a stand alone feat. Make a simpler New Leaf: olive branch package that has the social adeptness that would work well with this but also function independently, then do a feat that packages up the emmisarry aspects. That feat could have in its benefit text the -2/take a feat from target race AND the Special: -2 take a feat text so it can grab anything from the Rootwalker side of the family. Its a good concept but it needs its own block rather than trying to unbrella it under New Leaf.
At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
Making some Cyberpunk and Sci-fi :)

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:36:08 AM »
New Leaf
   [...]
   Olive Branch: If you have more levels in either Courtier or Sage than any other base class, you gain the next level's class abilities for that class. If you do not (or if you reach level 20 in either class), you instead gain Repartee Basics as a temporary feat. You gain no other benefits from the next level such as skill points, vitality, base attack bonus, saves, etc. You may not combine abilities of this type to gain class abilities 2 or more levels above your current level.Once per session, you may improve the disposition of any single non-adversary NPC by 5.

Grafted
You are a chimera, branching the divide between rootwalkers and the races of flesh by appearing as one of them.
   Prerequisites: Rootwalker, level 1 only
   Benefit: You loose lumbering and thick hide, and your Achilles Heel (Fire) is replaced by Damage Vulnerability (Fire) — each fire die inflicts a minimum of half its highest face value in damage and you are sickened for 1/2 damage rounds. When gaining this feat you must choose a second non-plant species: you are considered to be a member of that species in addition to your own for all prerequisites, requirements, and targeting. Additionally, you gain a bonus language and study related to the chosen species. Finally, you may reduce any attribute by 2 to purchase any Level-1 only feat available to your chosen species.
   Special: You may reduce any attribute by 2 to purchase any Level-1 only feat available to Rootwalkers.

Rootstock
*Points and shrieks*
   Prerequisites: Grafted
   Benefit: You are always considered to have a disguise kit. When you make Disguise checks, you ignore Species and Size penalties, and your default appearance, size, and footprint becomes that of your chosen species when disguising yourself as one of them. Additionally, each time you gain a new level you may spend 24 hours of continuous downtime to replace your chosen species -- and dependant splinter feats -- with a new one.

ludomastro

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 07:40:24 PM »
I like the new versions quite a bit.  The original was just too much.  However, the name Olive Branch no longer seems to fit with the abilities presented.  It evokes diplomacy or, at the least, ambassador-ness, but the text seems to offer neither. 

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:36:17 AM »
However, the name Olive Branch no longer seems to fit with the abilities presented.  It evokes diplomacy or, at the least, ambassador-ness, but the text seems to offer neither. 

Any suggestions one way or the other? To me, a diplomat is most likely to be either a courtier or a sage, both classes which also offset the fact that, well, you're this huge walking tree,

ludomastro

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 02:59:41 PM »
However, the name Olive Branch no longer seems to fit with the abilities presented.  It evokes diplomacy or, at the least, ambassador-ness, but the text seems to offer neither. 

Any suggestions one way or the other? To me, a diplomat is most likely to be either a courtier or a sage, both classes which also offset the fact that, well, you're this huge walking tree,

No argument that the giant walking tree-diplomat is most likely going to be a sage or courtier; however, the feat evokes the ideal of diplomacy but doesn't grant anything that I would particularly call diplomat material.  If it granted language and/or cultural proficiencies for the chosen species then it would feel more diplomat-ish to me.

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
The New Leaf add-on has nothing to do with specific species.

ludomastro

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 05:23:27 PM »
The New Leaf add-on has nothing to do with specific species.

Indeed.  And that is why it doesn't feel like a diplomat to me.  It seems improbable that anyone would send an ambassador to Country X unless said individual spoke the language and understood at least the rudiments of the culture.  Hence my statement.  Perhaps it would have been more clear had I said, "... chosen species where he/she will act as an ambassador."

Or are you using the term "ambassador" in a more generic sense of representative?

Big_Jim

• Control
  • An integral part of any plan for world domination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »
He doesn't use the word ambassador in the revised version at all. You a version behind, ludomastro.

ludomastro

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »
*sigh*

Looks like I need to switch to long form explanations.

When I read the name Olive Branch, my first thought is diplomacy/peace which seems to be borne out by Mr. A's comments.  However, the text of the new version of Olive Branch has NOTHING to do with diplomacy/peace save that a diplomat might be inclined to be either a Sage or a Courtier.  If the goal is to provide an alternate deviation for the New Leaf feat, then that's fine.  If the goal is to try to match the name with the effect then I don't care for the name.

The ability is fine, the name simply doesn't work for me.  That's all I was trying to get across.  Perhaps the name of a more mellow tree?  Learned Elder of the Forrest is not in keeping with standard naming convention for Rootwalkers but better captures the mechanics from my point of view.

At the end of the day, it's merely my opinion and I'll not lose any sleep if Mr. A decides to keep the name.  Hopefully, he won't lose any sleep over my comments either.  (And, I doubt he will.)

EDIT: Additional clarification added.

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 06:15:40 PM »
So thinking about the various plant monsters and alien races I've seen over the years got me thinking of this bit from the new series Dr who ep The End of The World, and thus:

Assassin Vine
   You really know how to reach out and touch someone.
   Prerequisites: Plant type.
   Benefit: You are considered to be armed with 2 bullwhips at all times, which may be neither thrown nor disarmed. When concealed they are each treated as Fine in size, and readying one or both takes a full round action. You do not need to hold these weapons in your hands to use them, but while they are readied errors rolled with any other attack may be activated for one less action die than normal. If broken, they regenerate at the rate of one per day. You may purchase upgrades for this weapon for triple the normal price, but you must upgrade both at the same time and in the same manner (for a total of 6× the normal cost). Finally, this feat does not convey proficiency.
   Special: This weapons granted by feat may benefit from the Enhanced Natural Attack feat.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:18:01 PM by Mister Andersen »

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
Re: Andersen's Garden Centre
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »
Species

Alraune
The Alraune are said to be an alchemical creation taken on a life of its own, born from soil fertilised by the seed of the dead and fed by their blood. There may well be truth to that tale given how often members of the species are found near battlefields and graveyards, though it may simply be their botanical nature responding to a rich supply of food, which lends them a sinsiter reputation. In their natural state they look like green-hued copies of other species, a trait they can learn to repress in order to pass unnoticed amongst the particular species they resemble, though their brilliant green blood remains an instant giveaway. As a result of their ability to mimic other species, they are frequently referred to by the epithet of 'Pod People', (as in the saying "Two peas in a pod").
   Common Personality Traits: Passionate, secretive, reverent of nature
   Common Physical Traits: Green
   Example Names: Briar, Holland, Ivy, Tefe, Thorn, Vorgornus Koth, Woodrue
   Splinter Race Feats: Corpse Plant
   Type: Medium humanoid fae plant (1x1, Reach 1). Your maximum wounds are equal your Constitution score. [4.0]
•  Attributes: No modifiers [0.0]
•  Base Speed: 30 ft [0.0]
•  Damage Vulnerability (Fire): Each fire die inflicts a minimum of half its highest face value in damage and you are sickened for 1/2 damage rounds. [-0.5]
•  Favoured Specialties: If your specialty is Adept, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Mystic, Ranger, Scholar, or Swindler, your Appearance bonus increases by 1. [0.5]
•  Mimicry: Choose 1 other non-plant Species. When disguising yourself as this species you are always considered to have a disguise kit, and you ignore Species and Size penalties. Further, you are considered to be a member of that species for all prerequisites, requirements, and targeting. [3.0]
•  Natural Camouflage: Choose forest/jungle or swamp. You gain a +5 gear bonus with Blend checks while in that terrain. [1.0]
•  Reviled: The starting Disposition of anyone aware of your species who does not share your native culture decreases by 10. [-1.0]

Species Feats

Corpse Plant
The phrase "You are what you eat" is literally true for you.
   Benefit: You gain the devour quality (see Fantasy Craft, pages 233). Further, the starting Disposition of anyone aware you possess this feat decreases by a further 5. Once per session you may spend 24 hrs of continuous downtime to take on the exact appearance and species or talent of a being you have just devoured provided they correspond to your mimicry ability. You may reassign your origin skills, attribute points, and Career Level-based attribute increases as if creating a new character, but you must have the same final Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. If you have ranks in a skill that is no longer a class or origin skill for you, those ranks are suppressed. If you have feats (particularly species feats) you no longer qualify for those feats are suppressed. You retain your Plant type.
   Tips: Changing a character’s Species/Talent can set off a cascade of alterations to the final character. Allow the player time to prepare a new character sheet. In the event of any irreconcilable changes, any abilities, options, or benefits that cannot be resolved are suppressed until the character returns to a host body that can support those features.

Exotic Bloom
You have a taste for exotic clothes… and bodies.
   Prerequisites: Corpse Plant
   Benefit: Each time you benefit from your Corpse Flower feat, you gain a temporary Species feat of your choice, ignoring "Level 1 only" limitations. This feat does not count towards the number of species feats you have and is lost the next time you  (but may be re-selected for the new host).
   Tips: If you will be selecting a "Level 1 only" feat, the devoured person must already have the feat you wish to benefit from.

(Feats based off Scott's revised Goa'uld feats)

The Green
The botanical inhabitants of the world are connected in ways that exist beyond flesh.
   Prerequisites: Plant type, Wisdom 15+
   Benefit: You may send and receive telepathic messages with anyone who shares the plant type in a radius equal to your Career Level x 5 miles. Additionally, you cannot become blinded, deafened, flanked or flat-footed unless all others of your type who can see and hear you already suffer the condition.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:30:19 AM by Mister Andersen »

spinningdice

• Control
  • The power of the Dice compels you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 02:51:33 AM »
The Alruane species I've got no problem with.

Corpse Plant worries me because shuffling around so many stats has great potential for abuse. It looks like the change is intended to be permanent (or until re-devouring). since there's no way to change back afterwards. It's workable, since if you change too much you're losing out, since dead character options specifically don't allow you to reuse the resources invested in them (i.e. skill points). I presume taking on a new species would lose the original species?

I'd add a limit that none of your base attributes may be raised to higher than the being just devoured (i.e. before talent/level mods) or the attributes previous value - but that's more thematic than truly limiting, also forces you to hunt out specific targets, rather than just eating a serving girl to become strong.

Also, I'm assuming it's intentional that you'll never be able to change species once selected (making humans a valuable choice as you can change talent), it would perhaps be too much to force you take the talent the target had, especially as most npcs don't have them.

The other two feats I have no issue with, Exotic Bloom is limited since there are few species feats that aren't level 1 only, or have other specific prerequsites
The Green, is limited by having more plant creatures around (though I'm guessing you'd take a plant based PL if you were investing a feat in this. I may add a note saying that this doesn't interact with non-creature plants (although even if it did, I'd be tempted to rule that as immobile things they'd already count as blinded, deafened & flat-footed, and lacking an intelligence score don't have anything to communicate, except perhaps base needs).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:57:46 AM by spinningdice »

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 04:21:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm not quite happy with Corpse Plant myself as it was derived from a feat intended to allow you to cheat the need of a goa'uld to have 2 species that it can easily move between. There does need to be language to allow reversion to the base Alraune species -- it's intended that you're suppressing the mimicry and natural camoflauge abilities while benefiting from Corpse Flower. I think I may stick that language in Mimicry, because ideally I'd like rootwalkers and other plant species to also benefit from the feat chain.

The physical attributes are intended in both this feat and the original to be highly variable as a result of changing physicality, where as the mental ones -- the ones the define 'you' -- stay unchanged regardless of any boosts or penalties to them based on the new talent.

I'm not getting how immobility counts as insensibility. Maybe change it to grant blindsight in forest/jungle, swamp and plains terrain?