Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2015, 07:26:34 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Having a Ball
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Having a Ball  (Read 614 times)
lord Claincy Ffnord
Agent

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2013, 02:59:55 AM »

(apologies for the pun in the title)

One of the aspects of the game I have the most difficulty with is organizing the social aspects in-game and as most of my crews are part of noble houses this is kind of important. So I've recently set up a web forum that I will be using to run the social side through hidden forums for each crew (so they can't see eachothers stuff as they still don't know what houses the others are from) dealing with balls/other social functions to try to deal with this problem.

However thinking up details for social interactions etc to take place at these events is still tricky and I am guessing I am not the only narrator who sometimes has difficulty with this part so thought sharing minor & major plot and event ideas could be helpful =)

So, my ideas (these are all fairly general "types" of things rather than specific ideas):

-Noticing who prominent (and less prominent) nobles of different houses are dining/talking/dancing with. Can give hints to house alliances and enmities etc

-Witnessing a contest or duel between 2 nobles, what the outcome and political ramifications of the duel and outcome are. Allomancers (and others with more difficulty) could potentially interfere with the contest trying not to be noticed doing so of course.
Or, naturally a PC could be involved in such a contest. (Heh, which could get entertaining if a PC from one crew is involved and a PC from another crew is trying to effect it)

-A good opportunity to approach other houses for alliances or contracts.
    -Including the opportunity of setting up arranged marriages/whatever to secure alliances, oooor sabotaging such

-Demeaning and damaging the reputation of other houses and individuals through the spread of gossip/secrets (true or false). Like most of these ideas this can go both ways.

-Talking to noble informants in attendance

-Attempting to find out if people are allomancers/what type.

-Robbery is a valid option, either through infiltrating the manor/keep while everyone is distracted or through a con.

-Assassinating or kidnapping enemies on the way to or from a social event. Depending on how it is done can be used to spread fear/paranoia or cast suspicion on a number of parties, including the hosts, particularly with small scale events.

-A good opportunity to sell secrets or to reveal them publicly for great effect.

What do you guys think?
Herowannabe
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:03:05 PM »

Sounds great! just one idea: What if someone came up and asked one of the characters to dance (or if female, strongly implied that she wants the character to ask them to dance)? All sorts of ways you could go with that as a character is pulled into political intriguing and/or romance. Even better if you can arrange for two characters from different crews to dance... Wink

lord Claincy Ffnord
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:54:20 AM »

Trying to run a romance style part would be tricky given my lack of experience at including such, but I will probably end up trying anyway =)

Even better if you can arrange for two characters from different crews to dance... Wink

Oooh yes. Potentially very difficult to work but very worth it if it pans out =) I find having the crews interact and effect eachother without knowing highly entertaining.
Kadrok
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 05:49:52 AM »

Man! I so want to play in your multi-crew world, even with your brutal Feruchemy rules...

lord Claincy Ffnord
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 06:54:59 AM »

I spose, now that we have a website for the campaign, I *could* run a purely PBP crew, would have to be pretty slow given amount of free time I have, but if enough people were interested I could try it.
Kadrok
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 07:14:55 AM »

Cheesy

Leonerd
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:31:43 AM »

Well, my crew visited a ball recently, so here's the breakdown. We had two nobles (one fake, one noble but under a different name), their bodyguard and a terriswoman. They were new to the town, socially the nobles count as lower high class or however you put "does not work for a living, but no high inheritance and standing either".

- The noble man (the fake one) decided to look around for the most beautiful women and asked several of them to dance. He started of with some women really high up the social ladder, which made things a bit awkward when she thought he hit on her. And by she thought I mean me and everybody else at the table misunderstood him. He got some information about them, mainly on the subject of shoes and paintings.
- The noble woman chatted a bit with their informant and after several hints made him ask her for a dance. Ever since she attacked him with a knife, he's been a bit scared of her. He also did some introductions and hinted her towards several people. I should probably add, he has his own agenda.
- Noble man tried to take several women out for a stroll through the gardens, but ended up parking them with his partner.
- Noble woman also overheard some young women talking about the next plot point.
- Introductions to several important characters took place.

- Meanwhile, at the servant quarters, the bodyguard and the terriswoman chatted with some servants. They already knew the informant's servants, so they ended up playing arm wrestling with his guard. The bodyguard lost, the terriswoman won. They also played cards.
- At some point they got bored and decided to raid the pantry. No, I have no idea why. They stole a salami.
- Met an older nobleman who likes to hang out with the servants at parties. He invited the bodyguard to his men's choral society before being dragged away by his daughter in law.

The main problem was that the party was split in two and everybody wanted to do something. This led to unexpected results, namely the salami. But they got all the information I wanted to give, plus some less plot relevant stuff. Also, free food.
Gargoyle
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 09:14:33 PM »

We just played Shelldry, per your rules.
Oh, and there was some really random dancing with serving girls from my kid brother's corner of the world.
May be doing it again, more ideas would be helpful. I don't want the game to become a hack'n'slash, but want the kids to enjoy it, too.
Unfortunately, as with Elend Venture, balls are a necessary evil central to our master plan.
Gargoyle
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 05:29:51 PM »

How different are balls in AoL era?
I can imagine there would be more showing off new technology rather than just current wealth, but how would the changes in government and political ideology as well as less stratified society influence the occasions? Would they occur more or less often? Who all would be invited? Just nobility and politicians, or would notable merchants and craftsmen be invited? Without the obligatory Obligators around to seal deals, they wouldn't necessarily be as important for business ventures. Would they?
Let's face it. Obligators were cool.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: