Well, my crew visited a ball recently, so here's the breakdown. We had two nobles (one fake, one noble but under a different name), their bodyguard and a terriswoman. They were new to the town, socially the nobles count as lower high class or however you put "does not work for a living, but no high inheritance and standing either".
- The noble man (the fake one) decided to look around for the most beautiful women and asked several of them to dance. He started of with some women really high up the social ladder, which made things a bit awkward when she thought he hit on her. And by she thought I mean me and everybody else at the table misunderstood him. He got some information about them, mainly on the subject of shoes and paintings.
- The noble woman chatted a bit with their informant and after several hints made him ask her for a dance. Ever since she attacked him with a knife, he's been a bit scared of her. He also did some introductions and hinted her towards several people. I should probably add, he has his own agenda.
- Noble man tried to take several women out for a stroll through the gardens, but ended up parking them with his partner.
- Noble woman also overheard some young women talking about the next plot point.
- Introductions to several important characters took place.
- Meanwhile, at the servant quarters, the bodyguard and the terriswoman chatted with some servants. They already knew the informant's servants, so they ended up playing arm wrestling with his guard. The bodyguard lost, the terriswoman won. They also played cards.
- At some point they got bored and decided to raid the pantry. No, I have no idea why. They stole a salami.
- Met an older nobleman who likes to hang out with the servants at parties. He invited the bodyguard to his men's choral society before being dragged away by his daughter in law.
The main problem was that the party was split in two and everybody wanted to do something. This led to unexpected results, namely the salami. But they got all the information I wanted to give, plus some less plot relevant stuff. Also, free food.