Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 31, 2014, 01:25:57 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Harsh Beating and Grueling Combatant Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harsh Beating and Grueling Combatant Question  (Read 958 times)
Korik1
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »

Quick question that is imminently important: Does Harsh Beating (+4 to fort save DC from inflicted Subdual damage) apply to the Grueling Combatant trait (opponents that miss the PC take 2 subdual damage)?

Tonight's GM is saying no, the player who is introducing the new PC says yes. What does the forum say?

Everyone is normal, UnTiL yOu GeT tO kNoW tHeM.
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »

By RAW, yes. And by intent, I would say yes also.  Grueling Combatant represent the character cuffing and elbowing the opponent when they miss clumsily.  Harsh Beating means the character does that REALLY HARD.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:55:28 PM »

I concur with Jim. The language seems pretty clear.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:03:33 PM »

Why wouldn't it?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 08:06:18 AM »

Why wouldn't it?
Someone might assume that Grueling Combatant represents an opponent who makes the attacker work so hard that they hurt themselves by over-exertion.
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »

Why wouldn't it?
Someone might assume that Grueling Combatant represents an opponent who makes the attacker work so hard that they hurt themselves by over-exertion.

That was my assumption. Remember in AD&D the attack round was 1 minute long and characters made multiple attacks in that time but only one that really matter, which you rolled on. I have always assumed that Grueling Combatant work like that. The character makes a flurry of attacks that don't land but his opponent must put out an exhausting effort to block them.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 05:14:26 PM »

By RAW, yes. And by intent, I would say yes also.  Grueling Combatant represent the character cuffing and elbowing the opponent when they miss clumsily.  Harsh Beating means the character does that REALLY HARD.

Jim has the right of it. Watch out!

Gentry