Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 12:02:13 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  How to handle cheating...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to handle cheating...  (Read 985 times)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 11:20:04 PM »

Another possibility is Bad Karma Dice - at this point three of them.

At any point in the game the Control can take one of those dice out of the pool, and tell the player 'You Fail'. If he cheats again, all the dice come back, even the ones already used.

And if caught then the roll he was fudging automatically fails, without the GM having to use any of the BKD.

The Auld Grump, modified from Seventh Sea.

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 12:44:55 AM »

I'm gonna go against the grain and say to do absolutely nothing in game.  Ever.  Worst case scenario, this encourages more fudged dice rolls, but with just more care that he's not caught.  It also has the potential to foster a real "us vs the GM" environment (even if it's just one player who feels that way), which is something you clearly don't want.

Always handle out of game things (mechanics, character balance, attitude) entirely out of game.

Check that it wasn't accidental - we've all been guilty of making mistakes, especially when we were new players (and especially with a new system - if he hasn't played FC before).  When 2.0 was new I spent an entire session thinking Surge of Speed was at will because I built my character quickly (and somehow missed half the text).  I've also made math errors, or mistaken things as applying when they shouldn't - we all fuck up from time to time.  Could have been just an innocent mistake that he made because he's unfamiliar with the game / group.  Punishing someone for "Ok... I need to make this, so what are all my modifiers to the roll? "X + Y + Z + oh yeah X" as a legitimate mistake is pretty unfair.  Which from your posts, you certainly don't seem to be.  It's easy to be a little nervous and accidental add something twice.  I've done it before (usually from sleep deprivation, rather then nerves or whatnot), and I'm sure even those calling for him to be penalised have too.

If it was intentional, and to save the scene - make sure he knows that Action Dice exist for the express purposes of doing that (again - especially if he's new(ish) to FC/SC).  Show him the Cheat Death rules so he doesn't get worried about losing a character.

Do all of that alone with him, before a game starts / after it's finished.  Otherwise it's the whole table vs him, which is extremely uncool.  Just emphasise that it's not a big deal - especially if it was innocent - just to take a bit of care, and not worry about the outcome, since the game has plenty of rules in place to fudge things legitimately.  But no penalties - they'll just alienate the kid, which is clearly something you don't want.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 04:14:53 AM »

What Sletch said.

Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 12:51:22 PM »

I concur with Sletch.

Don't anything in game, as that would honestly just come off as "We don't want you here." Especially if he's the only one being penalized. This needs to be an OOC discussion. Though, I'm not sure if having his GF or the Brother do it for you will be good or bad. There's pros and cons for both. But, having an honest discussion and asking "why" is usually the best. It could be his numbers are screwed up, or it could be him thinking failing is bad and screws everyone else up. Or he could be one of those players that absolutely has to win, in which case you might need to be the mean guy. But you won't know until you actually ask him.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »

LOL.  So.. I went a little bit off the path.. and I literally just printed out this thread.  I left play alone.. (although I did ramp up the next encounter, just a smidge for GC smiting) and honestly, it went really well.  He laughed, turned bright read and was like.. "Yeah.. I just didn't want to be the F-ing new guy!" or "Oh man.. Who invited him!?"  All in all.. it turned into a good laugh.. followed by disgusting groans when their first encounter was the poo-slime armor murderer.  As always, thanks to Crafty Community. 
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 11:26:41 PM »

Yay!  Being an adult wins again!

I mean no disrespect by that, Mr Koala.  You took the high road and should be respected for it.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 08:25:59 AM »

Yay!  Being an adult wins again!

I mean no disrespect by that, Mr Koala.  You took the high road and should be respected for it.

Blank, none taken.  I totally get what ya mean.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: