Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 02:49:10 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Conversion practice! Terra Cotta Warriors!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Conversion practice! Terra Cotta Warriors!  (Read 655 times)
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2012, 04:30:21 PM »

I set about doing some conversion practice from the Pathfinder Bestiaries and ran into some issues with Terra Cotta Warriors. First off, constructs in PF have no CON score. This isn't bad for Standards, but leaves Specials with 0 wounds. I think the simple solution is just to give them a CON score of 10, yes? No bonus, but 10 wounds?

The other issue is that they have DR5/bludgeoning. That translates to DR2/subdual, but as constructs, subdual is useless against them. I don't know about you all, but when i see a bunch of clay-jar-heads I wanna hit 'em with a hammer. I know the issue has come up before, and the solution would be to just take the -4 penalty to hit and do half damage as Lethal. Base and within RAW, but not signifying as a 'weakness'.

My common sense tells me to just treat hammers/flails/obviously bludgeoning subdual weapons as lethal off the bat, but the inner rules lawyer in me says to give them DR2/Bludgeoning and Achilles Heel (Bludgeoning) to mitigate the penalty to damage for taking the -4. That way Hammers and Flails still work as intended on these things while other sources of subdual do not. Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard, but I'm still wrapping my head around converting things. What do you all think?

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »

There was actually an official ruling on this.  Have you checked the errata documents?
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 05:06:38 PM »

Yeah, that's the bit about common sense. The conversion work I do for my group is so that the whole lot of us can use the doc, and some of us are cool with a common sense ruling, while others are not, so I wanna find a solution that still sticks with the more rules heavy peoples.

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »

....so I wanna find a solution that still sticks with the more rules heavy peoples.
Then the Achilles Heel you mentioned should be fine.

Also ask them if they'd rather just have said weapons be house-ruled lethal.
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:47:39 PM »

Will do. Thank ya muchly.

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 07:25:54 AM »

You could do DR2/blunt

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »

I think Achilles Heel (Blunt) will do what you want.  Even if the weapon does subdual, they'll take an equal amount of lethal damage. 

On the Constitution issue, give them the Con that gives enough wounds.  Crafty constructs have all six ability scores.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: