Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 10:51:04 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Frontiercraft] PDF version 0.001
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Frontiercraft] PDF version 0.001  (Read 768 times)
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 07:07:45 PM »

Ok, try this.

It's reorganized.  The adventure related stuff is all up front, followed by the system generation stuff.

Less rolling, more average planets.

Everything that I don't think is absolutely needed is marked as skippable.

I've tried to put in better guidance.  Hopefully it's clear.

I am aware that some of the table references are wrong, but point them out if you want.

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 12:13:32 AM »

Other than a formatting issue where the tops of the capital letters are being cut off, the document is much clearer.

Here are my notes:

Attempt 1 - About 10 minutes

One point of interest - 2 shipwrecks
Single Star - sun-like
with 3 planets
Optional - 3 belts

Planet 1 - Earth-like (default to habitable zone)
Two major moons with one minor moon
1.3G

Planet 2 - Earth-like (random: beyond the snow line)
Two major moons with two minor moons
0.9G
Cold III

Planet 3 - Super-Earth (random: too close to sun to be habitable)
One major moon with Five minor moons
1.1G
Radiation II

Hmm, the Earth-like world must have a higher metal content than Earth.  Mining?  The super-Earth must be less dense.  Caves?  Lack of plate tectonics?

-----

Attempt 2 - About 25 minutes, but NOT a frustrating exercise.

Three points of interest
Ruins - Tetrach
Local Conflict - The Tetrach are the aggressor. (Table reference should be X-2.)  I randomly rolled the Silver Bubble Culture as the one being afflicted.  There didn't seem to be a way to distinguish WHO was being affected.
Distress Signal - There doesn't seem to be an explanation for this.  I'd use the Local Conflict as the basis in the absence of other information.

Perhaps the recent Silver Bubble Culture has taken up residence near a Tetrach Ruin that is sacred in some way?

Single Red Dwarf - upgraded to Single Sun-like per instructions
8 Planets

Planet 1
Gas Giant (assumed to be IN habitable zone)
Warm Giant with some banding, Radiation II
10 major moons, 53 minor moons
Not obvious what to do with major moons.  Will come back to this.  Decided to treat them as planets with a 25% chance of being habitable.

Only Moons 5, 9 and 10 were habitable

Will roll on planet table disregarding any result that isn't a rocky planet.

Moon 5
Sub-Earth
0.2G, Low Pressure III, No Toxin, Cold II, Normal Visibility

Moon 9
Earth-like
1.5G, Normal Pressure, Toxin I, Normal Temperature, Normal Visibility

Moon 10
Sub-Earth
0.6G, Low Pressure II, Toxin I, Cold II, Visibility I

Planet 2
Earth-like (Random, beyond habitable zone)
1 major moon with 4 minor moons

Planet 3
Ice Giant (Random, too close to star)
Mature Cool Giant, significant banding, Radiation III
6 major moons, 25 minor moons

Planet 4
Gas Giant (Random, beyond the snow line)
8 major moons, 52 minor moons

Planet 5
Warm Giant, some banding, Radiation III
4 major moons, 19 minor moons

Planet 6
Earth-like (Random, beyond the snow line)
1 major moon, 1 minor moon

Planet 7
0 major moons, 4 minor moons

Planet 8
Earth-like (Random, in the habitable zone)
0 major moons, 2 minor moons
1.2G, Normal pressure, Toxin I, Normal temperature, Normal Visibility

Since the interesting and habitable places have Tonix I, perhaps there is an excess concentration of something like H2S in the atmosphere?

Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 02:13:29 AM »

Other than a formatting issue where the tops of the capital letters are being cut off, the document is much clearer.

Good to hear.

Here are my notes:

Attempt 1 - About 10 minutes

One point of interest - 2 shipwrecks
Single Star - sun-like
with 3 planets
Optional - 3 belts

Planet 1 - Earth-like (default to habitable zone)
Two major moons with one minor moon
1.3G

Planet 2 - Earth-like (random: beyond the snow line)
Two major moons with two minor moons
0.9G
Cold III

Planet 3 - Super-Earth (random: too close to sun to be habitable)
One major moon with Five minor moons
1.1G
Radiation II

Hmm, the Earth-like world must have a higher metal content than Earth.  Mining?  The super-Earth must be less dense.  Caves?  Lack of plate tectonics?

Cool.  Let me suggest that super-earth might be the core of a gas giant locked in a close orbit of the star.  What remains of the gas envelope is being sprayed out into a 20 million mile long comet tail. You'd have to get rid of the moons but that would look boss Smiley  Particularly if you assume it has an orbital period less than a day so that as the sun travels through the sky, this huge tail spins around it.  Mining is an excellent idea and should be supported with equipment and prizes to represent either the income stream or the use of mineral rights as a bargaining chip.

Is more guidance needed on the shipwrecks?  They could be adventure sites, effectively dungeons, or just a place to scavenge equipment.  There might even be survivors.

Do you feel it was worth the time spent?

-----

Attempt 2 - About 25 minutes, but NOT a frustrating exercise.

Three points of interest
Ruins - Tetrach
Local Conflict - The Tetrach are the aggressor. (Table reference should be X-2.)  I randomly rolled the Silver Bubble Culture as the one being afflicted.  There didn't seem to be a way to distinguish WHO was being affected.
Distress Signal - There doesn't seem to be an explanation for this.  I'd use the Local Conflict as the basis in the absence of other information.

Perhaps the recent Silver Bubble Culture has taken up residence near a Tetrach Ruin that is sacred in some way?

Oh, that needs more detail.  I'll write up the missing distress signal, clairify the conflict and put it on a new table.  You wouldn't know this because I haven't written them up yet but both of those are long vanished cultures.  A conflict between them is likely to involve throwing galaxies at each other. Smiley

I'm a bit worried about that time.  But this is a bigger system.

Single Red Dwarf - upgraded to Single Sun-like per instructions
8 Planets

Planet 1
Gas Giant (assumed to be IN habitable zone)
Warm Giant with some banding, Radiation II
10 major moons, 53 minor moons
Not obvious what to do with major moons.  Will come back to this.  Decided to treat them as planets with a 25% chance of being habitable.

Will clarify.  Default assumption is that anything the Terraformers could work with got terraformed.  So any major moon in a habitable zone would be at least minimally habitable.

Also, is it clear without being overbearing that you can leave anything you don't need alone?  I appreciate you going through the whole process though, but I want that clear.

Only Moons 5, 9 and 10 were habitable

Will roll on planet table disregarding any result that isn't a rocky planet.

Oh, I completely forgot to account for this.  How about we use the planet table (x-6) but for Giants we roll 2d8, for super-earths 1d12, and for earths and sub-earths we assume they are always smaller sub-earths?  The 2d8 puts the thick part of the curve into the earths which gives lots of playable moons.

Moon 5
Sub-Earth
0.2G, Low Pressure III, No Toxin, Cold II, Normal Visibility

Moon 9
Earth-like
1.5G, Normal Pressure, Toxin I, Normal Temperature, Normal Visibility

Moon 10
Sub-Earth
0.6G, Low Pressure II, Toxin I, Cold II, Visibility I

Planet 2
1 major moon with 4 minor moons

Planet 3
6 major moons, 25 minor moons

Planet 4
Gas Giant (Random, beyond the snow line)
8 major moons, 52 minor moons

Planet 5
Warm Giant, some banding, Radiation III
4 major moons, 19 minor moons

Planet 6
Earth-like (Random, beyond the snow line)
1 major moon, 1 minor moon

Planet 7
0 major moons, 4 minor moons

Planet 8
Earth-like (Random, in the habitable zone)
0 major moons, 2 minor moons
1.2G, Normal pressure, Toxin I, Normal temperature, Normal Visibility

Since the interesting and habitable places have Tonix I, perhaps there is an excess concentration of something like H2S in the atmosphere?

Sounds cool.  Another possibility is disease or bioweapon.  Oh wait, you have a local conflict here, don't you?  Maybe it is a bioweapon!  Maybe the locals have very primitive space craft barely capable of interplanetary flight and they've already rendered their solar system mostly uninhabitable.  Or you could go to the big bad and say the Sathar are behind the toxin (they seeded the planet with sulfur eating bacteria that are poisoning the atmosphere and the locals are fighting over the scraps.

Same question:  Do you feel this was a good investment of 25 minutes?  I think it will be better once the gear and culture sections are there to support what you're rolling up.

I'll probably produce one more independent planet creation pdf and then fold it back into the next update of the main pdf once I have more of the supports done.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 03:14:16 AM »

Cool.  Let me suggest that super-earth might be the core of a gas giant locked in a close orbit of the star.  What remains of the gas envelope is being sprayed out into a 20 million mile long comet tail. You'd have to get rid of the moons but that would look boss Smiley  Particularly if you assume it has an orbital period less than a day so that as the sun travels through the sky, this huge tail spins around it.  Mining is an excellent idea and should be supported with equipment and prizes to represent either the income stream or the use of mineral rights as a bargaining chip.

Very, very nice.  You know, a detailed example of how to roll and then tweak the results would go a long way to underline the points you are trying to make with this sub-system.

Is more guidance needed on the shipwrecks?  They could be adventure sites, effectively dungeons, or just a place to scavenge equipment.  There might even be survivors.

Doesn't hurt to put in a sentence or two to that effect but I've been gaming long enough that I was thinking of those without the prompting.

Do you feel it was worth the time spent?

Absolutely!

Oh, that needs more detail.  I'll write up the missing distress signal, clairify the conflict and put it on a new table.  You wouldn't know this because I haven't written them up yet but both of those are long vanished cultures.  A conflict between them is likely to involve throwing galaxies at each other. Smiley

Ah, then perhaps you might make suggestions as to how the PLAYERS are going to deal with hostile Tetrachs - with the chucking of galaxies and what-not.

I'm a bit worried about that time.  But this is a bigger system.

I'll all for bigger systems, but yeah, the big ones can spiral out of control pretty damn fast.

Will clarify.  Default assumption is that anything the Terraformers could work with got terraformed.  So any major moon in a habitable zone would be at least minimally habitable.

Also, is it clear without being overbearing that you can leave anything you don't need alone?  I appreciate you going through the whole process though, but I want that clear.

Yes, it was clear that I could skip steps as needed; I did so in some places.  Emphasizing the terraformed nature of anything remotely habitable, would go a long way toward dealing with some of the potential anxiety.

Oh, I completely forgot to account for this.  How about we use the planet table (x-6) but for Giants we roll 2d8, for super-earths 1d12, and for earths and sub-earths we assume they are always smaller sub-earths?  The 2d8 puts the thick part of the curve into the earths which gives lots of playable moons.

Works for me.

Sounds cool.  Another possibility is disease or bioweapon.  Oh wait, you have a local conflict here, don't you?  Maybe it is a bioweapon!  Maybe the locals have very primitive space craft barely capable of interplanetary flight and they've already rendered their solar system mostly uninhabitable.  Or you could go to the big bad and say the Sathar are behind the toxin (they seeded the planet with sulfur eating bacteria that are poisoning the atmosphere and the locals are fighting over the scraps.

Again, this is great fodder for an in-depth example.

Same question:  Do you feel this was a good investment of 25 minutes?  I think it will be better once the gear and culture sections are there to support what you're rolling up.

I'm more of the "eyeball-it-and-go" type GM, so I would definitely use the chart for some of the physical features but if I wanted the setting on a moon around a gas giant, that's where it would be.  That said, I like that there are options that result in odd (i.e. interesting) interactions.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: