Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 01:33:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Will a Flawless skill fit in a level one only feat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will a Flawless skill fit in a level one only feat?  (Read 646 times)
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2012, 11:54:26 AM »

Specifically, Flawless Competition so Bullrush and possibly Grapple are at issue here.
I'd like my coastal vrusk to be incredible at competitions as they come from a scary barbaric background where fistfights are the equivalent of courts.  However I am sensitive to the balance implications of getting a cheap flawless skill.  I have 1-2 points of stuff that I can drop and I really wouldn't mind knocking off the 2 points of precision the species gets, just to drive home these are not your typical vrusk.

Thoughts?
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »

Problem is that it's normally a class ability with a specific way of reacting with duplicates, how would it react with a character with an appropriate class ability. also does it increase?
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »

For context, here's the proposed feat:
Coastal Vrusk
Life is easy on the coast, if violent.
Requirements: Vrusk, level one only
Benefits: Your exoskeleton thickens, giving you Thick Hide 2.  Your Precision drops by 2 and you lose the enlightened skill while your Heat Protection drops to Heat Protection I.  Your Competition skill becomes flawless, using your career level in place of class level.
Special: You may not gain any Vrusk Flunky or Executive feat unless a character option specifically allows this.

It uses career level (or is that called character level now?) instead of class level so there's no real issue with stacking.  If you gain flawless competition from a class, you still have the advantage of being able to multiclass without losing your DC bonus.

Essentially, no matter how long you keep him behind a desk, this guy can thrash you six ways to Sunday. Smiley
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »

Thoughts?

Short answer: No.

Having more than 2 flawless skills advancing concurrently is a bad idea. Last time it was possible it took a feat that wasn't my best idea ever and a 7 class level combo... which may have still been too easy Roll Eyes.

It has become by far the most common Class Level 1 mechanic for base classes. My recomendation is leave it there - strictly a class ability. There are plenty of other mechanics to represent competence with a skill.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »

You could of course nominate a favoured class and have the splinter feat change which flawless skills it grants

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »

You could of course nominate a favoured class and have the splinter feat change which flawless skills it grants

I hadn't gotten as far as the favored class option (not a bad thought) but I was rolling around the idea of allowing the character to swap a flawless granted by class to the "prefered" flawless skill. It could still end up going a bit pear shaped, but its a lot less alarming than a 3rd flawless skill.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: