Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 11:41:12 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Phoenix Familiar... what can be done and what shouldn't
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phoenix Familiar... what can be done and what shouldn't  (Read 1542 times)
Bhurano
Agent

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »

Hi there,

right now I am sitting at home ironing out the details for a Phoenix familiar. To a certain part the entry of the Eagle was my starting point.

I also gave the fiery little bugger Damage Immunity (Fire, Lethal) and Unlimited Spell Points. The Phoenix has more qualitys (like Regeneration I and Natural Defense [Fire] and firebased Death Throes.

The only thing that worries me is that the Damage Immunity (Lethal) might be to much and possibly also the infinite spell points.

Any thoughts on this? Do you allow Unlimited Spell Points in your Rounds in your Player's NPC's? Or is it to much.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »

For those NPCs that SHOULD have massive amounts of magic, evil cultists, wizards in towers or places of power, etc. I have used Unlimited Spell Points.  It fits the flavor without causing too many headaches.  For the opposition, I say, "Go for it!"

However, your choice of spells will be more of a deciding factor for a player controlled NPC.  A ton of Level 9 Save or Die spells will have a party nullifying effect.  The old hermit (a contact) who can cast illusions all day and night could be very useful for hiding when the needs arises.  A phoenix - depending on which version you are using - would most likely have healing spells so it might matter in combat.  BUT, outside of combat, go nuts.

I wouldn't give the Phoenix Lethal Immunity, but would probably add Story Critical as they never seem to die.

Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 03:40:14 PM »

For something that self-resurrects, Story Critical is good, as is Everlasting. I'll also agree that Lethal Immunity is a bit much.

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »

Lethal Immunity is unbalanced, sure, but it also makes no sense.  In every story I can think of, Phoenixes can be both injured and killed.  Hell, death is the cornerstone of their entire mythology.  Everlasting, on the other hand, is absolutely written for the Phoenix.  They die, and next adventure they are reborn from the ashes.

Unlimited Spell Points is also totally random (and potentially extremely unbalanced).  Unless you're building towards a very specific source material that I'm not familiar with, they aren't wizards and don't go around casting spells.  Even building something like Fawkes from Harry Potter doesn't need Unlimited Spell Points - you give him some Natural Spells (Healing, and some stuff to bolster courage - maybe a reflavoured War Cry) and you're good to go.

Those are two things I would almost never allow a player to put on an NPC.  The first lets it just tank with impunity, and without fear (and combined with Agro feats, they can lock down entire fights).  The second can potentially make your PC spellcaster obsolete, and that is never a good thing.  Ever.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:00:19 PM »

This goes to an important question: What do you want this creature to actually do? What's the campaign flavor on it? I'm kinda with Sletch--most of these qualities don't feel especially phoenix-y. Do you want this creature to be a combatant? A buff machine? A healer? A plucky sidekick?

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »

Stuff I like from the OP: Basing a Phoenix on the Eagle, giving it fire-based death-throes and fire immunity are very appropriate ideas (although the party may not thank you for the fire-based death-throes - it's an ability made out of horrible, horrible collateral damage.  Try to keep the damage low).  Natural defense (fire) and Regeneration I are also fine.

Stuff I like from other people's posts: Everlasting and Story-Critical are, in this instance, highly appropriate, as are the suggestion of War Cry & healing magic.  I'd also agree that you shouldn't go with lethal immunity or unlimited spell points, and that some idea of the general role you'd want this to fulfill in your party would be good to have.

Additional suggestions: change the type from Animal to Beast (phoenixes can often talk in various mythologies).  I haven't got my rulebook with me, but the level 0 light spell would be highly appropriate spell as well, as might some general nature-themed casting, and possibly Wits I (fairly sure that phoenixes are meant to bestow wisdom or something, and it could represent a familiar helping the wizard out with his spellcasting if you like).  Consider giving it the Aggro feats (flies in front of party, draws aggro, dies, sets enemies on fire) if that's the role you want.

And hey presto - you have an undying scout / suicide bomber / healer with other minor utility.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »

(fairly sure that phoenixes are meant to bestow wisdom or something....)
That might be the simurgh.
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »

I was thinking of suggesting the Beast-type while I was at lunch m'self. I like the Natural Spells pointed out over the Unlimited Spell Points as well.

Natural Defense (Fire) and Regen I make perfect sense to me. Death Throes does seem tactically risky to me, but then again, depends on how often one would expect it to come up. Purpose vs Practicality, I think.

I like this idea. I may have to borrow this concept one day.  Wink

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »

Death Throes makes sense and seems cool, tactical risk/reward being told to sod off.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Bhurano
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »

Ok, first off thanks for the feedback. I hit a wall during designing the Phoenix. Since Damage Immunity (Lethal) and Unlimited Spellpoints are horrible ideas I kicked them out of the concept. The idea to change the creature type to Beast is also pure genius. I myself was deadset on using Elemental. But taking Beast freed up points and makes much more sense in the overall theme of the Phoenix. Thanks for helping me out with the little bugger. Smiley

When it comes down to his role I would say: 1. A plucky sidekick for a mage 2. Useful in and out of combat (mostly scout high up), but not a killing machine like a freaking grizzly (currently having one in the round... it's a terror).

Some points might be juggled around... especially Attack, Defense and Resilience could probably be lower.

Phoenix (Tiny Beast Flying/Walker - 90 XP):
Attributes: STR 10, DEX 14, CON 10, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 10
Size: Tiny (1x1, Reach 1)
Speed: 100 ft; winged flight and 20 ft; ground
Statistics: Init II, Atk V, Def V, Res V, Health III, Comp -
Skills: Acrobatics II, Notice IV, Search IV
Qualities: Damage Immunity (Fire), Darkvision II, Death Throes (Fire), Everlasting, Story Critical, Improved Sense (Sight), Natural Defense (Fire), Natural Spell (Cure Wounds IV, Mass; Heal; Regeneration; Sunlight II; Warcry), Regeneration I, Feats (Fast Flyer, Charging Basics, Charging Mastery), Tricky (Called Shot)
Attacks: Bite I (dmg 1d4 fire, threat 18 - 20), Talon I (dmg 1d3 fire, threat 20)

The groundwork for the whole Phoenix is as said the Eagle entry in FC. The rend ability of the eagle was something I hadn't points leftover for... but I don't think that it is absolutely necessary. I jacked up some Statistics (Atk, Def, Res). Defense could probably be a bit lower. Attack on the other hand seems right in conjunction with "Called Shot". When it comes to the qualities I went bonkers. Grin His natural spells are renamed or tweaked. The Cure Wounds IV, Mass spell (Song of the Phoenix) should affect ANYONE who can hear it - friend and foe alike. Heal and Regeneration (Tears of the Phoenix) are effects of the Phoenix tears, Warcry is just renamed (Phoenix Shout) and the Sunlight II (Cleansing Fire) spell should go off with the Phoenix as the center of the spell.

I don't know if Death Throes is itself an advantage or an disadvantage... but I find it fitting, especially because I see the Phoenix as a bird on fire all the time. Smiley That's not necessarily grabbed from the myths, but just rule of cool. Also who needs a torch as a wizard... let the little buggar zip around. It's what he does in combat anyway, zipping in and out of his foes range and killing them (very, very probably) slowly.

If I had more points to spent, I would add one of the "Wits" Spells, probably either "Wits II" (Guidance of the Phoenix, the phoenix strokes someone with his feathers and imparts "Wisdom", probably only WIS and none of the others) or "Wits II, Mass (should be spell level 7, and again it should affect ANYONE who can hear it). In a best case scenario taking both would be perfect. Keep in mind, the stats of the Phoenix are for a really powerful familiar... I think I can't squeeze anymore points in it, seeing that all feats of the Mage must be Spellcasting Feats to obtain the Familiar and power him... on the other hand it makes for one scary powerful mage. Grin

I hope that I covered everything. So what do you say to this draft of the Phoenix? Especially the part about the spells and their tweaks.
Gentry