Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 07:09:41 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft on Roll20.net
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft on Roll20.net  (Read 754 times)
mathey
Agent

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »

Hey guys. I'm giving Roll20.net a try and I've decided to start with a Fantasy Craft game using a setting I've run online twice before. Its chiefly inspired by stuff like Thief or Dishonored - dark steampunk with a gothic flair.

You can check out the roll20 profile for the game here: http://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/51806/the-vergent-city

If we get enough players and get the ball rolling, I'll try to update on my progress and thoughts on Roll20.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »

Coolness! Looking forward to your report. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »

Shweet! Just an thought, but if you stream the games on Ustream or something and record them, it might be worth a watch.

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
mathey
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »

This was a bit of a non-starter; I got one player to sign up, and I've not seen or heard from him since, including the scheduled play date. That'd probably be my chief criticism of Roll20.net - its not got community support or ways to share feedback with players or prospective players.  I might have had better success organizing the game elsewhere first and then porting people over to the table when it was game time, but that doesn't seem to really serve the stated objective of the site.

The VTT is quite well put together, however, and they do a good job of educating on how the basics work the first time you visit it. There's lots of options relative to map-based play, what with some built in tokens and maps available with a quick search - but they largely presume you're doing Generic Fantasy D&D. I had some issues resizing images after importing them onto my table as well, which was a little odd given how deep the interface goes.

I ended up spending a lot of time tinkering with the Soundcloud linked "Jukebox", which lets you play music on the table. It leans hard on non-licensed material, and while some licensed or professional work sneaks in under aliases, you kind of have to pick your way through a lot of chaff to find something you can use. I'd have to see how actual players respond to it before saying for sure, but this might be my favorite part of the Roll20 VTT.

I've heard that the video/audio chat built into the table is not good, and that (like other VTTs I've tried) people end up using Skype or another alternative for that aspect of their games.

All things considered, I'd give it an A for Interface, a D for Community, and a C overall. Infrno.net is definitely less polished in general, and its table looks downright amateurish compared to Roll20 - but the linking of the table/game with the profiles and forums is handled a lot better, making for more communication betwixt people in general - and that's key. While I've had a number of non-starter games on Infrno as well, I usually get more bites and definitely benefit from feedback on how or why they didn't get going.

With Roll20, it felt more like I'm casting off a message in a bottle and hoping my work gets a bite.
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »

Mmmh, I was a kickstarter for Roll20, and introduced a couple of forumgoers to it when it went live, but it really struck me as a 'organize game and players off-site, use roll20 only for the actual sessions, not the full campaign' sort of site. It's been a while since I've looked at it, they've probably improved it since then, but I guess I'd still use it as live-play supplement rather than a campaign foundation. And yeah, the voice chat was a bit hit and miss I felt.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Fastidious Monk
Recruit

There's always a 4.5% margin of error; + or -

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »

My group uses Roll20.net for our game, but we are all in the same place and just use it for the map.

When I try the link it just says not authorized.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: