Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 12:48:46 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Switching Professions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Switching Professions  (Read 270 times)
Kadrok
Agent

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:47:11 PM »

Say the crew has a highly trained leader whose profession is Scholar/Assassin/Crew Leader/Biscuit-Maker/whatever (only one of them, obviously). Over the course of the adventureng the crew manages to free a large group of Skaa, covering their disappearance by faking their deaths enmasse through a Kandra playing the role of an insane house lord (or whatever... this is irrelevant). They set up a small kingdom in the barely habitable lands beyond the Final Empire with this character as their leader. Thus it would seem more appropriate for this character to have King/Emperor/Mayor/Rebel Leader/whatever as their profession. And indeed they intend to spend 4 AP next long breather to take this trait and reflect their changed status. The neatest way would be for them to actually spend 2 AP to change their profession into King/Emperor/Mayor/Rebel Leader/whatever but that would require they lose their skills in Scholarship/Assassinating/Leading the Crew/Biscuit Making/Being indeterminate and this doesn't fit the story... are we to suppose they suddenly forgot everything they learned before they became King/Emperor/Mayor/Rebel Leader/whatever?

In circumstances like these, can the character spend 4 AP, gain a trait to replace one of their five core traits, but instead of losing the core trait, shifting it out into the extra trait region? So for example...

BEGINNING OF THE GAME
Drive: Free my people
Profession: Biscuit Maker
Specialty: Choc Chip
Feature: Magnetic Personality
Personality: Determined
Other Traits: Endurance Runner, Expert Lockpicker

END OF THE GAME
Drive: Free my people
Profession: Emperor of the Free people
Specialty: Choc Chip
Feature: Magnetic Personality
Personality: Determined
Other Traits: Biscuit Maker, Endurance Runner, Expert Lockpicker

Saavy?

Gil-galad
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:43:16 PM »

Does this perhaps tie in with rastalles journey?
Kadrok
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:52:22 PM »

Lol, no, he's a Plantation Skaa not a Biscuit-Maker. Can you read that game? I didn't know every one had access to it...
lord Claincy Ffnord
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:47:38 AM »

I think swapping it out like that would be perfectly reasonable. It is functionally the same as just adding "Emperor of the free people" as an extra trait but switching it in the profession spot seems better so as to show which is his current profession. Or to show which is presently more important.

Also, I can see it *shrug* but I can see essentially everything =)
tecslicer
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:52:19 AM »

Yeah I can see that too, but (whereas I think the ttraits are hotswapable to a great extent) I would think the core traits are for more established traits. Might take a bit for him to be a king in more than just name. So wait a bit before swapping out for biscuiteer. 

[OOC} I can mask the forum if you want, just figured it would be an enjoyable read for the peanut gallery. Just let me know.{OOC]
Kadrok
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:55:08 AM »

Nah it's fine... the earlier chapters will be messy as since we did them over facebook, and I have to edit out our private conversations... I'm still working on getting them through. As long as everyone keeps in mind that they were my first attempts at playing the game, and playing as a narrator (in anything)... so there are things I do wrong, and things I do badly.
tecslicer
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 01:00:53 AM »

Well then. They will be in fine company next to my first attempts at narrating. So glad I had understanding players to tell me in nice ways that what I was doing was not the game we had decided to play.
lord Claincy Ffnord
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 01:42:13 AM »

If it helps you at all, the entire campaign including path of steel is the first campaign I've ever narrated. (I narrated a single session of the MAG before it which I've kind of rolled into the campaign anyway.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: