Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 12:30:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  I sit on the lighter end of rules spectrum , will 3.0 be for me?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I sit on the lighter end of rules spectrum , will 3.0 be for me?  (Read 4230 times)
Gundark
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »

This thread just made SC3 move from my "Take a Look at It" list, to my "Must Buy" list.

It actually had the opposite effect on me.  I'd be concerned about the end product if it wasn't for Crafty's track record firmly keeping them as a company I can trust.  That and I understand that answering one specific question while at an early playtest stage is in absolutely no way indicative of the finalised product.

Yeah and I think the crafty games crowd for the most part (at least the ones that post here)  sit  on the heavier end of the spectrum. Which initially made me wonder if Crafty would pull a Paizo and market their game for their existing fanbase rather than attempt to gather new people in/back.

For me I will be buying SC3 if the final product is as described. Even FC while dense was a good read and was well thought out. There were many times reading it I thought "wow that's a cool rule" . It was just far too much, and I wondered how long I could run a game before it collapsed under it's own weight.

Definitely looking forward to SC 3 , if you need some playtesters to give a lighter perspective (hint hint) my group has tested published products before Smiley
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:07 AM »

Though.. if the Crafty are feeling generous.. ..did the dramatic conflicts survive to SC3 alpha?    Lips Sealed
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 10:22:26 AM »

I'm in on SC3 regardless. I have absolute faith in Pat and Alex on this.

Living Spycraft Masterm
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »

Though.. if the Crafty are feeling generous.. ..did the dramatic conflicts survive to SC3 alpha?    Lips Sealed

Alpha (the most very core mechanics) is not beta (draft of final game) so the answer is not yet Smiley

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »

Oh absolutely, and with no doubt.

How it turns out will simply determine if it becomes the game I turn to strictly for the espionage genre, or the game I turn to for almost everything.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »

Oh absolutely, and with no doubt.

How it turns out will simply determine if it becomes the game I turn to strictly for the espionage genre, or the game I turn to for almost everything.

You know.. a completely random aside.. someone should kickstart a SpyCraft board game...  <.< >.>  (Don't mind the Koala.  He's sleep deprived again and trying to prep an adventure for tonight, my sole night off.)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »

For me I will be buying SC3 if the final product is as described. Even FC while dense was a good read and was well thought out. There were many times reading it I thought "wow that's a cool rule" . It was just far too much, and I wondered how long I could run a game before it collapsed under it's own weight.

Sadly, you are not alone in this feeling. Fantasy Craft absolutely has its boosters, and we're very proud of the system, but it's ultimately too much for many people. Spycraft Third is being intentionally designed to sidestep this issue, and we believe it will ultimately land in a spot that works best for everyone.

This seems like a good opportunity to say again, as we have over and over for more than a year: Spycraft Third Edition will not be compatible with Fantasy Craft. Portable, sure, with some effort. They are not using the same system, however, and there are very different assumptions and design goals going into the underlying foundation.

Definitely looking forward to SC 3 , if you need some playtesters to give a lighter perspective (hint hint) my group has tested published products before Smiley

We'll be opening things up to select playtest teams in time. Not quite there yet, however.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »

Alpha (the most very core mechanics) is not beta (draft of final game) so the answer is not yet Smiley

Also worth repeating, as we've said this for a long while too: Dramatic Conflicts will return.

Their form and function remains in flux, however.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 02:29:22 PM »

Also worth repeating, as we've said this for a long while too: Dramatic Conflicts will return.

Their form and function remains in flux, however.

Thanks!  Just with the ebb and flow of product design, some things you want in sometimes don't fit.  I was just checking in on my personal favorite (and 2nd personal favorite Crafty mechanic) mechanic of Spycraft.  I was more curious than worried.  Smiley
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »

Thanks!  Just with the ebb and flow of product design, some things you want in sometimes don't fit.  I was just checking in on my personal favorite (and 2nd personal favorite Crafty mechanic) mechanic of Spycraft.  I was more curious than worried.  Smiley

'sall good. I wanted to make sure everyone understood that they're part of the current game - just not part of the current alpha. Wink

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »

This seems like a good opportunity to say again, as we have over and over for more than a year: Spycraft Third Edition will not be compatible with Fantasy Craft. Portable, sure, with some effort. They are not using the same system, however, and there are very different assumptions and design goals going into the underlying foundation.

If this isn't answerable, I completely understand.  Just for my own terms of understanding, what's the difference between compatible and portable?  And.. 'not' the same system?  Did we leave D20?  ..man.. I gotta keep up with the Crafty Press releases better.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »

If this isn't answerable, I completely understand.  Just for my own terms of understanding, what's the difference between compatible and portable?  And.. 'not' the same system?  Did we leave D20?  ..man.. I gotta keep up with the Crafty Press releases better.

"Compatible" is the term we use to mean "little to no effort to use books together."

"Portable" is the term we use to mean "these books are not intended to work together but you can hack them together with some effort - sometimes a little, sometimes more, depending on the games and what you want to do with them." Consider this a middle ground between "compatible" and flatly "not compatible," where games share some but not all features and fundamentals.

As to d20, well, Fantasy Craft isn't d20 - it's OGL. Spycraft Third is... something else.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 03:06:29 PM »

"Compatible" is the term we use to mean "little to no effort to use books together."

"Portable" is the term we use to mean "these books are not intended to work together but you can hack them together with some effort - sometimes a little, sometimes more, depending on the games and what you want to do with them." Consider this a middle ground between "compatible" and flatly "not compatible," where games share some but not all features and fundamentals.

As to d20, well, Fantasy Craft isn't d20 - it's OGL. Spycraft Third is... something else.

Got it!  Okay cool.  And.. okay.. let me rephrase that as the damn die is also the name of a system mechanic.  Does SC3 roll D20s as the main die?  Smiley  
Viperion
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »

This seems like a good opportunity to say again, as we have over and over for more than a year: Spycraft Third Edition will not be compatible with Fantasy Craft.
Huh. I have completely missed you saying that Smiley That's a thing!

Really looking forward to what you come up with, crew. Cheesy
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 03:54:46 PM »

Got it!  Okay cool.  And.. okay.. let me rephrase that as the damn die is also the name of a system mechanic.  Does SC3 roll D20s as the main die?  Smiley  

Yes, Spycraft Third still involves rolling a d20 with higher values being better. That much (and some more) is absolutely set and completely unchanged.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »