Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 01:53:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Called Shots, Weakpoints and Armor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Called Shots, Weakpoints and Armor  (Read 1107 times)
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »

I know we have the Called Shot Trick and that one Trick from Axe Mastery that does damage to gear as well as the target.  Without those, is it possible to target a weak point, say a creature that has an overly large eye that begs for an arrow, or to specifically try to damage and destroy something's armor? I have a few ideas for some gimmicky fights, but I don't want to have to require that someone in my group have something they may or may not have by choice.

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:30:43 PM »

Here is how I would handle what your looking for.
Have your characters roll there attack
if they get a number in within his threat range and activates it with his action dice
then the character hits the creature with the giant eye in the eye.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »

You might find the cheap shot more in line with your desires. Poking out an eye might work nicely as cheap shoting their Wisdom...

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 10:53:07 PM »

Yeah, I can see some of the tactics some of my group have used in the past would require Cheap Shot or Called Shot. On the one hand, not having that kind of option as a basic combat maneuver can be somewhat limiting for those that haven't taken said tricks, but it does prevent some of my smarter players from using actual combat tactics while not rolling with combat related skills.

That would mean I would have to save some of these gimmicky ideas for when someone actually does go through the trouble, but i get to highlight their choice of tactics once they do.

An example from a previous campaign in 4e: Shooting at a dragons wings to impair it's flight. In FC that would be a Cheap Shot to flight speed. The player might be able to think of that, but it would be implied that if he hasn't taken Cheap Shot as a trick, his character wouldn't have thought of it. Is that a fair assumption, then?

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:50:33 AM »

Yeah, I can see some of the tactics some of my group have used in the past would require Cheap Shot or Called Shot. On the one hand, not having that kind of option as a basic combat maneuver can be somewhat limiting for those that haven't taken said tricks, but it does prevent some of my smarter players from using actual combat tactics while not rolling with combat related skills.

It's weird - until you posted this I was thinking that they were standard combat actions.  I don't think it would break the game if everyone had access to them for free, to be honest, but I can't certainly see the reasoning behind making them advanced actions.

An example from a previous campaign in 4e: Shooting at a dragons wings to impair it's flight. In FC that would be a Cheap Shot to flight speed. The player might be able to think of that, but it would be implied that if he hasn't taken Cheap Shot as a trick, his character wouldn't have thought of it. Is that a fair assumption, then?

Not necessarily.  A character can come up with a tactic they themselves aren't capable of performing - just as a frail old wizard can suggest that the barbarian push a boulder to start a landslide, so can the captain (or anyone else) suggest that someone more handy with a bow target specific areas on the wings to slow down the dragon.
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 02:34:02 AM »

It's weird - until you posted this I was thinking that they were standard combat actions.  I don't think it would break the game if everyone had access to them for free, to be honest, but I can't certainly see the reasoning behind making them advanced actions.

I thought they were standard combat actions as well, until I started looking for it. Most systems I know, with few exceptions, do that flat out so it's a bit unexpected. I kinda like it though.

Not necessarily.  A character can come up with a tactic they themselves aren't capable of performing - just as a frail old wizard can suggest that the barbarian push a boulder to start a landslide, so can the captain (or anyone else) suggest that someone more handy with a bow target specific areas on the wings to slow down the dragon.

Touche, Sir. Well put.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 04:11:36 AM »

They used to be standard actions under 2.0. Still think they should be in 3.0

Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 07:55:45 AM »

If I was the GM and one of my players wanted to pull off something that required cheap/called shot but didn't have it, I'd let them spend an AD to gain the trick for 1 'use' only.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »

If I was the GM and one of my players wanted to pull off something that required cheap/called shot but didn't have it, I'd let them spend an AD to gain the trick for 1 'use' only.

This is fair. It's how we handle Trips and Grapples in the Saga game I play.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 11:51:04 PM »

Yoink!

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 02:41:13 AM »

For the record, I also consider this a master level design choice - which is to say, it requires master level understanding of the game to actually use. Most casual players will never use this, and those who try ultimately find themselves very frustrated - not because the rules is hard to understand but because it urges - some might say, requires - a full comprehension of the feat and advanced action catalog to "properly" employ.

Thus, with a general rule like this in play, you wind up potentially creating an 'elite class' of gamer within your group - a class that demands certain real-world attributes to join, and that not everyone will be able to join even if they want to - and those players will suddenly have power unavailable to anyone else.

Not sayin'. Just sayin'.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 03:35:38 AM »

For the record, I also consider this a master level design choice - which is to say, it requires master level understanding of the game to actually use. Most casual players will never use this, and those who try ultimately find themselves very frustrated - not because the rules is hard to understand but because it urges - some might say, requires - a full comprehension of the feat and advanced action catalog to "properly" employ.

Thus, with a general rule like this in play, you wind up potentially creating an 'elite class' of gamer within your group - a class that demands certain real-world attributes to join, and that not everyone will be able to join even if they want to - and those players will suddenly have power unavailable to anyone else.

Not sayin'. Just sayin'.

That... is a very good point.

I don't normally worry about it because I can hold 90% of the system in my head as a single managable object, but that has lead me to offer some house rules and options that are just way too unweildy for more casual players. For example the "gain 2 levels of class when you bet your life" is a pretty casual transformation to me and a show-stopping grind-to-a-halt option paralysis festival for many players. Lesson learned.

Writing that option up for use by somewhat less techincally geeky players could be made a little smoother by listing the options that can be "borrowed" and giving them a little shorthand description. A fixed list curtails the flexibility/power of the rule, but could make it much much more playable. Having a shorthand list of the advanced options and tricks, equivalent to the one-sentence description of spells before the main descriptions text begins in D&D might make the Advanced Actions more accessible in gneral.

Re-yoinked, but with an eye towards a longer, clearer explaination Grin.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: