Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 12:22:45 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Pro Wrestling? (Dramatic Conflict)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pro Wrestling? (Dramatic Conflict)  (Read 2077 times)
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:27:25 AM »

DRAMATIC CONFLICTS
A Dramatic Conflict is a fun and quick way to resolve tense, exciting situations that would otherwise take a very long time to play out. Such things are far too cool to let rest on a single die roll, and they can add great color to a game.

WRESTLING MATCH
A Wrestling Match is a formalized form of combat that takes place with a specific set of rules, usually in the presence of an official known as a referee. The match typically ends when one combatant is pinned to the ground for a count of 3, or is forced to submit. There are, however, an exhaustive variety of match types that add all sorts of interesting conditions and stipulations to the match.
This type of Dramatic Conflict begins when 1 or more characters (the Predator(s)) set out to defeat a third party consisting of 1 or more characters (the Prey) in the squared circle.
Predator Skill: Athletics
Prey Skill: Athletics

WRESTLING MATCH HEAT
At any given time during a Wrestling Match, each point of Heat represents how close the match is to someone being defeated. The Predator is seeking to reduce Heat to 0, whereas the Prey is attempting to build Heat up to 10.

STARTING HEAT
A Wrestling Match’s starting Heat is equal to the Prey’s Charisma bonus (minimum 2). If this results in a starting Heat of 10 or more, the Prey humiliates or intimidates the Predator into submission before the match even begins, and cannot be defeated using this Dramatic Conflict.

MULTIPLE WRESTLING MATCH PARTICIPANTS
When more than two participants are involved in a Wrestling Match, the GM designates each as part of the “Predator group” or the “Prey group”. Each group designates one participant as the active member, and they make the opposed check during Step 2 of each Conflict round. The active member can be changed by the use of certain strategies.
Additionally, the GM may designate the match a ‘Tornado Tag’ or ‘Battle Royal’, in which case anyone and everyone may participate; characters should pair off to make opposed rolls. Alternatively, when ganging up on a character, a group of characters may make the opposed check as a cooperative check.

WRESTLING MATCH TIMING
During a Wrestling Match, each Conflict round takes 30 seconds, or 5 combat rounds. The Predator and Prey must be physically present for all of it.
All active characters involved suffer 1d4 subdual damage at the end of each conflict round, regardless of who won or which strategies were used.

WRESTLING MATCH STRATEGIES
Available Strategies are determined by the current Heat (along with several other factors), as shown on Table 1: Wrestling Match Strategies (see below). In some cases, a participant’s choice of Strategy changes the skill he uses to make the Conflict round’s opposes skill check.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:55:35 AM by glimmerrat » Logged

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:27:39 AM »

WRESTLING MATCH STRATEGIES
Aerial Finisher: You hit your opponent with a devastating aerial signature move intended to finish the match.
Aerial Strike: You spectacularly leap at your opponent either from the ground or the ropes, attempting to strike him.
Aerial Takedown: You spectacularly leap at your opponent either from the ground or the ropes, attempting to knock him down.
Bump the Ref: You ‘accidentally’ bump the official, temporarily taking him out of action. In the next round, the match cannot end by disqualification, pin or submission.
Cheap Shot (DQ): You hit your opponent with a cheap shot, raking the eyes or going for the throat.
Comeback: You’ve finally had enough! After being on the receiving end of a few too many stiff blows, you decide to hand your opponent his receipt.
Double Team (DQ): You and a third party team up to put the beat down on an opponent. During Tornado Tag matches and Battle Royals, this Strategy is not a disqualification offense.
Finisher: You hit your opponent with a devastating signature move intended to finish the match.
Foreign Object (DQ): You pick up and hit your opponent with an object not normally associated with wrestling, such as a chair… or a sledgehammer.
Hold: You grab your opponent and shut him down, locking him up in a nasty hold.
Low Blow (DQ): You hit your opponent below the belt. He’s probably even less impressed than the referee.
Psyche Out: You engage your opponent in a battle of wills, attempting to break his fighting spirit.
Strike: You strike your opponent; you may use open or closed hands, feet, knees, elbows or even your head!
Strut: You take time out to grandstand, playing to the crowd.
Tag Out: You tag in your partner, changing your team’s active participant.
Takedown: You attack your opponent’s equilibrium, attempting to knock him to the ground.
Throw: You lift or trip your opponent, slamming them into the ground – hard!

TABLE 1: WRESTLING MATCH STRATEGIES
Strategy             Requirements                              Modifier   Advantages
Aerial Finisher     Lead 2 (Predator) or 9 (Prey);     -12         Pin, Submission
                       Acrobatics used to make check  
Aerial Strike       Acrobatics used to make check     +0         Bump, Heat
Aerial Takedown  Acrobatics used to make check     -2         Bump, Stun
Bump the Ref     -                                            -10         Special
Cheap Shot       Lead 6-9 (Predator) or 2-5 (Prey)  -4         Stun, Trauma
Comeback         Half vitality or less, or                  -8         Crisis, Heat
                      damage to wounds
Double Team      -                                             -4         Bump, Trauma
Finisher            Lead 2 (Predator) or 9 (Prey)        -12        KO, Pin, Submission
Foreign Object   Costs 1 action die to use             -6          KO, Trauma
Hold                 Athletics 4+                              -2          Heat, Submission
Low Blow          Lead 6-9 (Predator) or 2-5 (Prey)   -6         Stress, Stun
Psyche Out       Impress or Intimidate used to        -8         Crisis, Stress
                      make check
Strike               -                                             +0         Bump, Heat
Strut               Impress or Intimidate used to         -2         Heat, Twist
                      make check
Tag Out            Tag team matches only                +0         Special
Takedown          -                                             -2         Bump, Stun
Throw              Athletics 4+                               +0         Heat, Stun
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:54:49 AM by glimmerrat » Logged

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »

WRESTLING MATCH ADVANTAGES
Bump: The active participant who lost the opposed check suffers 1d6 lethal damage. Each time this Advantage is chosen beyond the first during the same round, the damage increases by +1d6. No character may recover from this damage until the Wrestling Match ends.

Crisis: The Wrestling Match comes to a head, with Predator and Prey locked in a battle of wills. Each participant must make a Fortitude or Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the opponent’s career level, rounded up). Each time this advantage is chosen beyond the first during the same round, the opposed check winner’s Crisis DC decreases by 2, minimum DC 5 (his opponent’s Crisis DC remains unchanged). If either participant fails this save, his resolve crumbles and he suffers 1d3 temporary Wisdom and 1d3 temporary Charisma damage. Further, if only one participant fails this save, his opponent wins the Conflict (see below); otherwise, the Conflict continues as standard (this is the case even if both participants crumble, and such an outcome begins to show in both as their mental health deteriorates). Each participant may skip this saving throw, but the Heat shifts by 3 in his opponent’s favor as his determination falters.

Heat: The Heat is adjusted by 1 in the opposed check winner’s favor. Every 2 times this Advantage is chosen beyond the first during the same round, the Heat is adjusted by an additional 1 in the opposed check winner’s favor.

KO: The active participant who lost the opposed check suffers 1d6 subdual damage. If this causes them to fail a subdual save then they are knocked unconscious and the Wrestling Match ends in the opposed check winner’s favor.

Pin: The opposed check winner pins his opponent; make an Athletics/Grapple check to set the DC to escape the pin. The active participant who lost the opposed check makes a saving throw of their choice to escape the pin attempt; they may attempt this save 3 times (each time with a different saving throw). If they beat the escape DC even once then they escape and the pin attempt ends. If they fail all 3 saving throws then they are pinned for a 3 count, and the Wrestling Match ends in the opposed check winner’s favor.
If the pinned character is stunned, then the number of saving throws that they may make to escape the pin is reduced by 1. Additionally, if the pinning character has a higher Strength score than his opponent, he may ‘hook the leg’ to reduce the number of saving throws by 1. Finally, a pinning character may place their legs up on the first rope to gain leverage; this is a DQ offense, but reduces the number of saving throws by another 1. These bonuses are cumulative, and may lead to the pinned character receiving no saving throws at all.
A pinned character may spend 4 action dice to place a foot on the ropes, canceling the pin attempt.

Stress: Each participant except the opposed check winner suffers 1d6 stress damage. Each time this Advantage is chosen beyond the first during the same round, the damage increases by +1d6. No character may recover from this damage until the Wrestling Match ends.

Stun: The active participant who lost the opposed check is stunned in the following conflict round.

Submission: The opposed check winner and his opponent make opposed Resolve (Str or Con) checks. If the opponent wins, then they suffer the check winner’s choice of 1d6 lethal, stress or subdual damage. If the opponent loses, then the Wrestling Match ends in the opposed check winner’s favor.

Trauma: The active participant who lost the opposed check suffers 1d4 lethal damage applied directly to their wounds. Every 2 times this Advantage is chosen beyond the first during the same round, the damage increases by +1d4. No character may recover from this damage until the Wrestling Match ends.

Twist: The opposed check winner may use any of the following skills when making the next opposed check during the same Wrestling Match: Bluff (Cha), Impress (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Manipulate (Wis) or Resolve (Con). None of these checks possess tags.

DISQUALIFICATION
Some of the above strategies are illegal, and a character caught using them risks disqualification. When a character uses a ‘DQ’ strategy, they should make a Bluff or Intimidate check, DC (10 + TL). If they succeed then they suffer no ill effects. If they fail this check then the Wrestling Match immediately ends in their opponent’s favor.
The one situation where disqualifications do not apply is during a Hardcore match. During this match type, anything goes.

ENDING A WRESTLING MATCH
If the Predator wins (i.e. the Heat decreases to 0 or less, the Prey fails a Crisis-prompted check, or the Wrestling Match otherwise ends in the Predator’s favor), the Prey is beaten into submission. The Prey is reduced to 0 vitality points, and additionally is stunned for (the Predator’s Charisma, minimum 2) rounds. Finally, the Prey may not make any more appearances on the show during this session.

If the Prey wins (i.e. the Heat increases to 10 or more, the Predator fails a Crisis-prompted check, or the Wrestling Match otherwise ends in the Prey’s favor), the Prey defeats the Predator and drives them off. The Predator is reduced to 0 vitality points, and additionally is stunned for (the Prey’s Charisma, minimum 2) rounds. Finally, the Predator may not make any more appearances on the show during this session.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:54:14 AM by glimmerrat » Logged

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »

So, opinions?

And before you ask, i've been watching Puroresu waaaaay too much.  Smiley

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »

My roommate watches wresting, so it's disturbing how much of this makes sense to me Smiley. I'll try to get him to give it a look-see, but he is out of town a couple of days, so don't be put off by the slow reply.

I actually watch the "wresting" matches when he's got it on, but mostly because I enjoy seeing any sort of acrobatics demonstration. They pull off some truely amazing ukemi sometimes and I spend a fair amout of time giggling at how punches are pulled while pounding the heck out of the mat with one of your feet to make the most terrific crashing sound. And I always suspect that the WWF video games might be fun just because while the "physics" of the wrestling ring are insane, they are also for the most part consistent. Replace the script with a series of random rolls and player prompts and it could definitely be good fun Smiley.

But for me the most important thing to remember when watching WWF is that this is a performance designed to be visible and understandable by the guy in the seats in the back - EVERYTHING is maginified and telegraphed to carry to the farthest live audience member. It was never intended for people with zoom-lens enhanced persectives and with sound pick-ups there at ringside. You kinda have to respect a form of entertainment that's really a traveling circus that's managed to survive transition to the era of mass media.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 01:36:17 AM »

It aggravates me intensely when people refer to Pro Wrestling as 'fake'. It's not fake, dumbass. It's worked. There's no way to fake dropping someone on their head or slicing them open with barbed wire without a movie studio. Yes, it's scripted, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 01:57:21 AM »

I think "faked" mostly comes up in the context of is the outcome is in anyway uncertain to the participants. Or it could just be that miming kicking someone in the head when you at most brush them with your foot while stomping with the other foot to make a big bang sound could be called fake if you thought that there was some actual combat being presented Smiley.

Its not fighting. Its not a sport. Its an athletic soap opera. The physical demands of that performance are occassionally breathtaking, which is the thing I'm looking for when I sit down to watch - most of the between match bluster borders on farce to me Smiley. But inthe ring? Cleanly delivering a six foot breakfall with a living person in your path is amazing. Being in good enough physical condition to absorb a lot of non-trivial impacts is cool to see. Those guys aren't fighting, but they sure as heck are working.

It reminds me of a bit history my roommate told me about that I found very uplifting. Evidently there was a performer who carried the title "Mr. Perfect". Not because he was presented as some kind of unbeatable martial champion, but because he never hurt any other the other performers as a result of the stunts he did with them. That the respect was accorded for skill as a performer rather than for a 'fake' win/lose record elevated the whole culture in my eyes.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 02:06:18 AM »

Love the DQ tag. Covers the shenanigans nicely Smiley. And I see tag team stuff in there too.

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 04:34:09 AM »

You can also do Hardcore (read: ECW) matches by eliminating the DQ tag completely.

I'm gonna do a handful of feats to go with this, much in the vein of Chase feats from SC2.0...

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 06:27:39 AM »

As always, looking very solid and nice from a technical perspective.  By which I mean Pro Wrestling is like Ballet in my mind - a mindblowing display of physical prowess, but not something that particularly interests me as entertainment (though I was a huge WWE fan in my youth).  The framework might be interesting to crib for some other grappling alterations, too.

Also, it took me way longer the I care to admit to realise what Puroresu meant.  If it was in Katakana I would have spotted it right away, but I was just like "he's been watching what?" when I read the thread on my cell phone earlier.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 06:34:56 AM »

If it was in Katakana I would have spotted it right away, but I was just like "he's been watching what?" when I read the thread on my cell phone earlier.

プロレス

Wow, i'm surprised that the forums support kana...  Cheesy

I normally use romajii as most folks would see the above and say "Whu?"

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 08:51:15 AM »

プロレス
Wut?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »

プ= pu
ロ= ro
レ= re
ス= su

pu ro re su

The Japanese *love* foreign words, but the way the language is structured it has to be 'translated' into 'Ingrish'. Certain sounds simply don't exist in the Japanese language; for example, they have a great deal of difficulty with the letter 'L'. Puroresu is roughly pronounced 'pro-res'. The 'u's are silent, and the term is short for 'purofesshonaru resuringu', or Professional Wrestling.

Sorry, Japanese language student here. I love discussing it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:46:26 AM by glimmerrat » Logged

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »

So, suggestions?

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 04:21:10 AM »

[BASIC COMBAT FEATS

BIG MAN
You’re built like a proverbial freight train.
Benefit: During a Wrestling Match, each time one of your Strategies inflicts damage upon an opponent, the damage increases by 2. Also, each time you suffer melee or unarmed damage, the damage decreases by 1 point per die (minimum 1 point per die).

FIGHTING SPIRIT
You’re relentless in your pursuit of victory.
Benefit: When you’re a participant in a Wrestling Match, the starting Heat is adjusted by 2 in your favor, and all Strategies offer you the Heat advantage. Also, your Strength-based damage rolls inflict 2 additional damage.

HIGH FLYER
The top turnbuckle is your office.
Benefit: When you make a Maneuver check involving a Strategy with the word ‘Aerial’ in its name, your DC decreases by 5 and your error range decreases by 1. Also, when you make an Acrobatics/Jump check the distance that you travel increases by 50% (rounded up). Finally, any falling damage that you suffer is halved.

OLD HAND
You’ve been around the horn a few times.
Prerequisites: Player character only
Benefit: Once per scene when you participate in a Wrestling Match, you gain 1 additional d6 action die. You may only spend this die to increase a result directly related to the Wrestling Match. Alternately, you may give this die to another member of your Predator or Prey group with the same restrictions. This die is lost when the Wresting Match ends.

SCIENTIFIC WRESTLER
Your technical expertise is almost flawless.
Benefit: Each Maneuver check penalty you suffer due to a Wrestling Match Strategy decreases to 1/2 standard (rounded down), and once per Wrestling Match you may force 1 opponent to suffer the effects of a Crisis Advantage. Also, when making a Grapple check, you may use your Medicine skill instead of your Athletics skill.

Thought i'd try a reworking of some of 2.0's Chase feats and see if they fit the mould. I don't think that they're too bad, actually.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:14:17 AM by glimmerrat » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: