Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2014, 07:24:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  The Rapid Recovery CQ, inspired by the topic of the Modern Warfare genre.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Rapid Recovery CQ, inspired by the topic of the Modern Warfare genre.  (Read 294 times)
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »

Rapid Recovery, -350xp, or -500xp
"Whether by advanced life support systems, complex mental exercises to subvert pain, raw heroic grit, copious doses of "acceptably user safe" stimulants, or raving dogmatic zeal in this Campaign special characters wearing Partial or heavier armor heal their Constitution Bonus* in Stress, Subdual, and Vitality Damage at the end of any round in which they are concious and haven't taken a Wound."
Out of combat or any immediate threat of harm recover all their vitality in 10 minutes, or fraction thereof.
Characters who are dying do not benefit from this rule.

*for the 500xp penalty the vitality recovery value instead equals the higher of each character's Con. bonus or their starting Action Dice.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:32:48 AM by Valentina » Logged

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 02:09:10 AM »

Splitting it into chunks.

Rapid Recovery, -500xp, or -750xp

Gut reaction: Seems... excessive.

"Whether by advanced life support systems, complex mental exercises to subvert pain, raw heroic grit, copious doses of "acceptably user safe" stimulants, or raving dogmatic zeal in this Campaign special characters wearing Partial or heavier armor regain their Constitution Bonus* value at the end of any round in which they are concious and haven't taken a Wound."

Regain their Constitution Bonus (or AD value)... in what?  Vitality?  Wounds?  Subdual / Stress / other?

Out of combat or any immediate threat of harm recover all their vitality in 10 minutes, or fraction thereof.

What's the logic for this?  I'm not tearing it apart, just wondering why 10 minutes (for all values)?  Seems odd that someone who loses 10 out of his 200 vitality would heal 1 vitality / minute, while someone who was out 100/100 would heal 10 vitality / minute.  It also adds a time management issue to post combat (that only comes up rarely anyway - either the GM puts them on a clock and makes this bit irrelevant, or he lets the players hang about and it may as well be instant).

Characters who are dying do not benefit from this rule.

Sounds fair.

If I may, here's an alternate take:

Rapid Recovery (Seasons Only: +0xp)
Through advanced life support systems, raw heroic grit, advanced stimulants, or super science shielding technology, the Heroes are able recover from their injury fast.  At the end of each Scene, Special Characters are returned to Maximum Vitality.
Special: When a critical threat is rolled against a Special Character, the character making the attack may choose to spend 1 Action Die to reduce their Maximum Vitality by the damage dealt (instead of inflicting a regular critical hit or wound).  This reduced vitality can be returned with a successful Medicine or Mechanics check, as appropriate (DC10+Reduced Vitality, 1d12 Maximum Vitality returned, returns an additional 1d12 per AD spent on a Critical Success).

I used it to run a brief Mass Effect hack (back when ME1 was released).  It reduces tracking time and healing rate, and the only tracking is done by the players (for reduced max vitality - which I put it on represent lucky shots to shield generators or vital bits).  Not sure if that's what you're going for themewise, but thought you might be interested.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:31:02 AM »

Nah, it's cool -good to have feedback. It's like water -even cat piss nurtures more then a drought.  Smiley

Xp cost: the Agents are gaining a quality that basically neuters a critical aspect of resource management -they're probably never going to limp into a climatic scene bloodied and battered and yet going willingly to certain death.
That should cost although 500's a bit much, it's true. I haven't got my SC2, so I couldn't reference any similar effects for cost.

Effect: Right, sorry. Vitality was my baseline assumption, though also extending the effect to Subdual and Stress wouldn't be out of place.

Time: 10mins was an asspull, to be blunt. Needed to be long enough to be both inconvenient and plausible. This should, however, interfere with mission pacing -if the squad's going to sit on their thumbs while the villain mu-wa-ha-ha's off into the sunset, they deserve to lose. D&D 4E taught me this lesson -want to turn up the heat on the party? Challenge them not to take a Short Rest. Either because it's just not possible, or because there's a goal they want enough to start risking for.

Hey, that's cool. =D Clever way to do it.
But not quite on target. This effect is about walking away from any combat, however brutal and ceaseless, with little more then cosmetic injuries. This is for Space Marines, superheroes, sentai warriors, anonymous but heroic soldiers  -I know of Imperial Guard fans who think the IG should work that way, too.  This is Die Hard Beyond Die Hard, and also done with little consideration of how it would interact with conventional SC2 materials. This might make some builds (Brawler 10?) virtually invincible.
Basically if Aim Assist is activated there's a high price to pay.

I hadn't made the connection before, but suddenly the Modern Warfare FPS genre that seeded this idea greatly resembles a new kind of Superhero Story. Same tropes of a small, tightly knit brotherhood conquering improbably successful villains and greatly overwhelming numbers. Trade wacky personality for Tights and Capes, but the rest fits. I'll edit the CQ later.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:20:09 AM by Valentina » Logged

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:16:59 AM »

Price:  The highest in the core book is like -75xp.  -750xp would be effectively telling your players "You're no longer levelling up".  Given the way it changes the game, I'd treat it like Revolving Door - a 0xp quality.  It's not so much a campaign quality as it is a playstyle.

Time: Doing away with the timer isn't a problem because it meaning anything (or not) is entirely up to the GM.  So either you say "you have [COMPLETELY ARBITRARY] time and can rest" or "you can't rest".  In this case, if they can't rest the scene just keeps going.  It also syncs up nicely with power point systems (magic, psionics, whatever) - if you can rest long enough to gain Vitality, you can also rest long enough to gain spell points / power points / whatever.  It means that the mage doesn't get a full lot of power points back because you've decided there was a sceneend , while the brick gets the shot end of the stick because while there was a scene end, there wasn't "time to rest".  It levels the field, and just treats Vitality as another resource.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: