Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 06:27:39 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  The Broker (Expert Class)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Broker (Expert Class)  (Read 612 times)
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »

The Broker
Depending on the campaign, The Broker could be...
  A Corlantian tax collector holding your rank over the market.
  A River boat gambler looking for the woman who stole his father's watch.
  A peerless adventure hunting for enough treasure to secure himself into the ranks of nobility.
  A good hearted rogue, robbing from the rich and giving 5% to the local orphanage.
  A snake oil salesmen living high on the hog, but careful not to visit the same town twice.

Party Role: Backer. With an overflowing pack you always have the gear your party needs on hand. Your real strength, however, is finding the party more riches, whether in the Grand Bazaar or the deepest of dungeons.

Class Features
Requirements: Adventure's Luck, Haggle +4 ranks, Quick Draw
Favored Attributes:
Wisdom, Dexterity, Intelligence
Class Skills: Athletics, Bluff, Haggle, Investigate, Notice Prestidigitation, Resolve, Ride, Search, Survival.
Skill Points: 6 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 9 + Con modifier per level

Core Ability

Handy Haversack: The name of the leather worker is carved into the flap, but you can't make it out. At level one, you may use the I have One of Those! Perk without paying the action die cost.  The total number of dice waived in this manner per adventure may not exceed your class level. Items gained this way can not be traded or sold and leave play at the end of the adventure. Further your use of this perk does not count towards your party's limit of player perks.

Class Abilities

Freetrader: Ice to Eskimos? Try selling beards to dwarves! At Level 1, you gain the Basic Skill Mastery: Investigator feat.  Further this feat also applies to Haggle checks.
At Level 5, you gain the Exceptional Skill Mastery: Investigator feat.
At Level 9, you gain the Legendary Skill Mastery: Investigator feat.

Here There Be...Bargains! I: You never need to go to the market when you carry one on your back. Whenever you make an opposed Haggle/Bargain check with multiple grades of success the results improve by 1 grade in your favor. Additionally you gain the Improved Carrying Capacity NPC ability.

Here There Be...Bargains! II: Step right up!  I have dragon's teeth, Kilonea wine, and a pair of Boots of Farstriding only used by a little old lady on Sundays. All priced to move! At level 7 you gain the Beguiling NPC quality and may use Haggle in place of Sense Motive when using this ability.

Bonus Feat: At levels 3 and 7 you gain 1 additional Chance or Skill feat.

Heads-Up: The big difference between you and a pack mule is your throwing arm. Once per round, when you aren't flat-footed, a teammate within close range and line of sight may handle an item on your person as if it was in his own.

Uncanny Dodge I: Your senses are supremely sharp, letting you react quickly to danger. At Level 4, you retain your Dexterity bonus to Defense (if any) even when flat-footed.
Uncanny Dodge II: At Level 8, you never become flanked.

Gifts & Favors I: At level 6 your gain the Courtier's level 2 ability. This represents your skills at stockpiling gear and finding good deals.

One for the Doctor: 'Share and share alike,' your granddaddy always said. Whenever a teammate uses a scroll or potion gained by your Heads-Up ability since the beginning of the last round, you may also gain its benefits. When you imbibe an potion in this manner it doesn't count toward you potion per scene limit if your teammate gains its benefit.

Eureka!: You have a sixth sense for find gold coins and you brought a pair of pliers for pulling out gold teeth. At level 10, whenever you or your party make a treasure roll add your class level to the result.

Table XX: The Broker
Lvl BAB  Fort Ref  Will Def Init LS Lgnd Abilities
 1   +0   +0  +1   +1  +2   +0  +2  +1  Freetrader (Basic), Handy Haversack
 2   +1   +0  +2   +2  +3   +0  +3  +1  Here there be...Bargains! I
 3   +2   +1  +2   +2  +4   +1  +3  +2  Bonus Feat
 4   +3   +1  +2   +2  +4   +1  +4  +2  Heads-Up, Uncanny Dodge I
 5   +3   +1  +3   +3  +5   +1  +4  +3  Freetrader (Exceptional)
 6   +4   +2  +3   +3  +6   +2  +5  +3  Gift's & Favors I
 7   +5   +2  +4   +4  +6   +2  +5  +4  Bonus Feat, Here there be...Bargains! II
 8   +6   +2  +4   +4  +7   +2  +6  +4  One for the Doctor, Uncanny Dodge II
 9   +6   +3  +4   +4  +8   +3  +6  +5  Freetrader (Legendary)
10 +7   +3  +5   +5  +9   +3  +7  +5  Eureka
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:54:18 PM by Jake » Logged

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »

The Capitalist
Depending on the campaign, The Capitalist could be...
   A Corlantian tax collector holding your rank over the market.
   A River boat gambler looking for the woman who stole his father's watch.
   A peerless adventure hunting for enough treasure to secure himself into the ranks of nobility.
   A good hearted rogue, robbing from the rich and giving 5% to the local orphanage.
   A snake oil salesmen living high on the hog, but careful not to visit the same town twice.

Like the class, but I'm not crazy about the name.

Party Role: Backer. With an overflowing pack you always have the gear your party needs on hand. Your real strength, however, is finding the party more riches, whether in the Grand Bazaar or the deepest of dungeons.

Class Features
Requirements: Adventure's Luck, Haggle +4 ranks, Quick Draw
Favored Attributes:
Wisdom, Dexterity, Intelligence
Class Skills: Athletics, Bluff, Haggle, Investigate, Notice Prestidigitation, Resolve, Ride, Search, Survival.
Skill Points: 6 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 9 + Con modifier per level

Core Ability

An Offer They Can't Refuse: NPCs cannot walk away after making a Haggle/Bargain check with you.

What does this do exactly?  Is it like a flawless ability?

Class Abilities[/b]
Handy Haversack: The name of the leather worker is carved into the flap, but you can't make it out. Starting at level 1 you gain a number of d4 action die at the start of each adventure equal to your class level. These may only be spent to gain an item through the I have one of Those perk. Further your use of this perk does not count towards your part's limit of player perks. Items gained with these action die cannot be traded or sold and level play at the end of the adventure.

I like this but I think you can squeeze the actual action dice out of it so that there are no unintended effects.  How about:

Handy Haversack: At level one, you may use the I have One of Those! Perk without paying the action die cost.  The total number of dice waived in this manner per adventure may not exceed your class level. Items gained this way can not be traded or sold and leave play at the end of the adventure.

Here There Be...Bargains! I: [/b]You never need to go to the market when you carry one on your back. Whenever you make an opposed Haggle/Bargain check with multiple grades of success the results improve by 1 grade in your favor. Additionally you gain the Improved Carrying Capacity NPC ability.

Here There Be...Bargains! II: Step right up!  I have dragon's teeth, Kilonea wine, and a pair of Boots of Farstriding only used by a little old lady on Sundays. All priced to move! At level 7 you gain the Beguiling NPC quality and may use Haggle in place of Sense Motive when using this ability.

Bonus Feat: At levels 3, 5, 7, and 9, you gain 1 additional Chance or Skill feat.

All of this is neat.

Heads-Up: The big difference between you and a pack mule is your throwing arm. Once per round, when you aren't flat-footed, a teammate within close range and line of sight may handle an item on your person as if it was in his own.

This is a really cool ability.  I love it.

Uncanny Dodge I: Your senses are supremely sharp, letting you react quickly to danger. At Level 4, you retain your Dexterity bonus to Defense (if any) even when flat-footed.
Uncanny Dodge II: At Level 8, you never become flanked.

Gifts & Favors: At level 6 your gain the Courtier's level 2 ability. This represents your skills and stockpiling gear and finding good deals.

One for the Doctor: 'Share and share alike,' your granddaddy always said. Whenever any ally use a scroll or potion gained by your Heads-Up ability since the beginning of the last round, you may also gain its benefits.

This needs a supporting ability to increase the number of times you can benefit from a potion.  It's very neat though.

Eureka!: You have a sixth sense for find gold coins and you bought a pair of pliers for pulling out gold teeth. At level 10, whenever you or your party make a treasure roll add your class level to the result.

Table XX: The Capitalist
Lvl BAB  Fort Ref  Will Def Init LS Lgnd Abilities
 1   +0   +0  +1   +1  +2   +0  +2  +1  Handy Haversack
 2   +1   +0  +2   +2  +3   +0  +3  +1  Here there be...Bargains! I
 3   +2   +1  +2   +2  +4   +1  +3  +2  Bonus Feat
 4   +3   +1  +2   +2  +4   +1  +4  +2  Heads-Up, Uncanny Dodge I
 5   +3   +1  +3   +3  +5   +1  +4  +3  Bonus Feat
 6   +4   +2  +3   +3  +6   +2  +5  +3  Gift's & Favors I
 7   +5   +2  +4   +4  +6   +2  +5  +4  Bonus Feat, Here there be...Bargains! II
 8   +6   +2  +4   +4  +7   +2  +6  +4  One for the Doctor, Uncanny Dodge II
 9   +6   +3  +4   +4  +8   +3  +6  +5  Bonus Feat
10 +7   +3  +5   +5  +9   +3  +7  +5  Eureka

Overall, very cool but it needs a different name. 
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 02:16:09 PM »

A quick trip over to thesaurus.com brings up "operator" and "broker" as two that sound decent after just a quick look through the class. I love the theme and have one player that will be possibly actually salivating over this class.

Another one that came up on thesaurus.com that I don't think really fits, but would love to see a class named this: The Boss.
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 02:28:06 PM »

Core Ability[/b]
An Offer They Can't Refuse: NPCs cannot walk away after making a Haggle/Bargain check with you.

What does this do exactly?  Is it like a flawless ability?

When an opposed Bargain check is made either party can walk away afterward, if either doesn't want to sell or pay at the new price. This prevents that. I'm not completely happy with this ability, the first draft and some Mix It Up abilities and the Core ability focused on that. I forgot to change the Core during the second draft and didn't notice until I was posting it. This is an ability I rejected from Here There Be Bargains, I'm not sure if I'm happy with it.

Class Abilities[/b]
Handy Haversack: The name of the leather worker is carved into the flap, but you can't make it out. Starting at level 1 you gain a number of d4 action die at the start of each adventure equal to your class level. These may only be spent to gain an item through the I have one of Those perk. Further your use of this perk does not count towards your part's limit of player perks. Items gained with these action die cannot be traded or sold and level play at the end of the adventure.

I like this but I think you can squeeze the actual action dice out of it so that there are no unintended effects.  How about:

Handy Haversack: At level one, you may use the I have One of Those! Perk without paying the action die cost.  The total number of dice waived in this manner per adventure may not exceed your class level. Items gained this way can not be traded or sold and leave play at the end of the adventure.

Excellent idea, Blackbeard. Amended.

Here There Be...Bargains! I: [/b]You never need to go to the market when you carry one on your back. Whenever you make an opposed Haggle/Bargain check with multiple grades of success the results improve by 1 grade in your favor. Additionally you gain the Improved Carrying Capacity NPC ability.

All of this is neat.

I am very with Here There Be Bargains, thank you. I want to change things so Beguiling's duration is based on Wis, but it seems like I would be going too far. 

One for the Doctor: 'Share and share alike,' your granddaddy always said. Whenever any ally use a scroll or potion gained by your Heads-Up ability since the beginning of the last round, you may also gain its benefits.

This needs a supporting ability to increase the number of times you can benefit from a potion.  It's very neat though.

Good point....... tweaked.

Overall, very cool but it needs a different name. 

Yeah.....Packrat is a feat, The Collector is too close to a Bond villain. It should be The Imperialist but some people might not get that. I'm open to suggestions.

Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »

I love the theme and have one player that will be possibly actually salivating over this class.

If it happens I'd love to hear about it.

Another one that came up on thesaurus.com that I don't think really fits, but would love to see a class named this: The Boss.

Seconded.

A quick trip over to thesaurus.com brings up "operator" and "broker" as two that sound decent after just a quick look through the class.

The Operator....? The Broker....? Do I dare..........The Fixer?!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:36:11 PM »

At the risk of invoking GW... The Freetrader?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »

Google isn't showing me that reference, but it's a nice name.

I changed the core ability, and I'm much happier with the class now, but I've never seen a core like it. Comments?

Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »

"The Dibbler"  Grin

Honestly I kinda like The Broker. Perhaps Racketeer or Peddler?

As one of the guys in our group specializes in these kinds of characters, we could also get some use out this. lol

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 06:38:36 PM »

Its a construction like freelancer - a trader operating on his own.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »

I changed the core ability, and I'm much happier with the class now, but I've never seen a core like it. Comments?

I would shy away form giving a feat as a expert class core ability, but the concept could certainly play into a more standardized offering...

Collector: At Level 1 and for each Class Level thereafter, you gain 1 additional skill point that must be spent on Haggle or Search. Also, your Prudence increases by 1.

That's almost a striaght swap for the Swashbuckler core ability Smiley.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 07:12:40 PM »

Its a construction like freelancer - a trader operating on his own.

Ah, I thought is was something about Guild Wars, from the GW.

I would shy away form giving a feat as a expert class core ability, but the concept could certainly play into a more standardized offering...
   Collector: At Level 1 and for each Class Level thereafter, you gain 1 additional skill point that must be spent on Haggle or Search. Also, your Prudence increases by 1.
That's almost a striaght swap for the Swashbuckler core ability Smiley.

I have been avoiding doing that, looking for something more defining. The reason I liked my last version is that the Haggle skill feat chain could be taken without the a Crafting bonus. I want the class to be a pure merchant, not an artisan, and after getting everything else worked out I feel hamstrung by Basic Skill Mastery: Trader.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 07:22:25 PM »

BW was a typo for GDW and the freetrader class of ship in Travelled.Traveler

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 01:32:05 PM »

Okay, remembered......I have no idea what they're called, Basic Skill Feats +1? Like the Politico and the Street Knight. I had to move Haversack to core, but I'm very happy with the class now.

Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »

Rocks.
On.
Toast.

Love "Broker" too.  I've seen this guy in every snivelling merchant sidekick in action movies.  Bravo!
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 03:16:43 PM »

Love "Broker" too.  I've seen this guy in every snivelling merchant sidekick in action movies.  Bravo!

Originally he was based on the squires from Monty Python and The Holy Grail

Can you see it? But after Krensky came up with Freetrader and said it was a class of space ship..........

I mean, it fits so well.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: