Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 06:08:26 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Sandy Survival Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sandy Survival Thread  (Read 425 times)
Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2012, 12:25:25 PM »

So a week after Hurricane* Sandy smacked New Jersey around like a New York City thinks it does, things have gotten back to... kinda normal?  After four days with no power (which means no heat for me) I bugged out to Metatopia for the weekend, although that took about 18 hours between going to NYC to catch a ride and getting caught in the mass gas shortage here in the Tri-State Area.  Morristown was fully operational, but I've never been so happy to see the lights on in my apartment's parking lot (although for an hour I wasn't sure I was going to see them.  Would have been nice if you told on your website that the newly reopened train line stops a dozen stations short, NJ Transit.  Huh? ) Power is still out in a lot of areas, and some places, like Asbury Park, are going to take years to rebuild.  I'm about a mile away from a town that got taken half out to sea.

*Yeah, I heard it referred to last night on the radio several times as "Superstorm Sandy" because it wasn't classified has a hurricane when to plowed through some spots.  Roll Eyes  Pardon my French, but fuck that bitch, I'm not calling it "super" anything.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »

I'm glad you got through.  My neighborhood is so boring Sandy didn't drop by.  (But if I never have to drive into Manhattan during rush hour again, I'm good with that.)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 01:06:55 PM »

Good to hear you're still in once piece, Number Three. I've been following the news coverage of the Sandy Shitstorm here and it has been rather terrifying.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »

Yeah, the running joke is that there are two Manhattans right now:  Upper Manhattan, where everything is business as usual, and Lower Manhattan, which is powerless spook show.  The hand written signs in the NYC subway about the A train ("No Downtown Service") drove it home last night.  What made the Epic Metatopia Drive so long was us searching Brooklyn and Upper Manhattan 3 hours for an open gas station (to fill up before heading into petrol-less New Jersey) to wait in line for 5 hours to actually get gas when we found one.  At that point, it was 3 a.m., and the driver understandably said, "Screw it, we'll leave in the morning."

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 02:08:15 PM »

The trains seem to be back running north of Canal Street.  Too bad the City didn't buy some of these tunnel plugs instead of banning cups for soda.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Gentry