Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 10:10:10 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  So.. your players want to run a circus..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So.. your players want to run a circus..  (Read 1683 times)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »

You know.. I always miss having RPG nights.. ..right up until it's RPG night. lol.  So.. I'm trying to sort this out before game night and I'm making sure I'm playing this right, so I figured the boards always gives me good info

The character concepts.. well...

Goblin / Burglar  (Gymnastics / High Wire)
Giant /  Soldier  (Feats of Strength & Looking Scary)
Saurian / Assassin  (..the clown..)
Unborn / Mage  (Ringmaster)
Dwarf /  Explorer (..and I quote "Dr. Grohml's World of Amazing Trinkets!")
Drake / Courtier  (..the other clown..)

Lizard faced, bi-pedal clowns creep me out.  Just saying that now.  The cost of running & upgrading the traveling circus.  That can just be 'explained away' with the Holdings and Prizes functions, yes?  Work it in fictionally, but I'm not missing like "To run a business for your characters, see page X", right?  Thanks!
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:46:33 AM »

So the clowns are a Saurian and a Drake? I'm guessing a clown car is out of the picture....

Holdings seems appropriate to me. A traveling circus would probably count as a small caravan. Upgrade it over time with Assistants, Stables, Actors Workshop, etc..

Yeah, that'd be how I'd do that.

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »

Why the Drake doesn't have a PLt with a whip to tame him is beyond me.  Tongue

Otherwise, carnies to erect the tent, sell tickets, are shovel up after the elephant are another great way to explain Prudence.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 11:59:27 AM »

Why the Drake doesn't have a PLt with a whip to tame him is beyond me.  Tongue

Otherwise, carnies to erect the tent, sell tickets, are shovel up after the elephant are another great way to explain Prudence.

I knew I missed one!  Yes yes.  Prudence also.  Oh.. and.. to make it that more messed up.  The Drake took EbonScale.  ..it's a multi-headed lizard clown...

And a late addition.. Ghost Eye'd Pech / Emissary (Town Crier).  Yep.. I just HAD to say Halloween themed if you want..  ..just had to.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »

The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 07:49:46 PM »

This brings back some strange memories of the Rifts Vampires book
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »

Mechanics?  Yeah - holdings + prizes + handwaving.  That'll do nicely.  You've got built in reasons for both Prudence and Income, which is awesome.

Style wise?  Awesome!  I spent an entire chargen session trying to get my group to form a circus for a steam punk game I ran ages ago (my idea was identical to the circus in The Cape - but several years before The Cape aired) but they never got into it.  They just wanted to be a mob of wandering weirdos without an excuse for a mob of wandering weirdos.  They were also bigtime sideshow material, too.
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »

My steampunk game went much sillier when the dwarf priest decided to take the Path of Metal, and then the rest of the group decided to be a heavy metal band with him as the front man. Things went from silly to hilarious with hijinks like the giant PC with Truly Massive named "Dikfuk" who used a deck harpoon and the "Get Over Here!" trick.

And then, at the height of the campaign when they discovered an undead army marching on the town they were supposed to be performing in, they didn't warn anyone because an undead army attacking during their show would be 'more metal'
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »

Style wise?  Awesome!  I spent an entire chargen session trying to get my group to form a circus for a steam punk game I ran ages ago (my idea was identical to the circus in The Cape - but several years before The Cape aired) but they never got into it.  They just wanted to be a mob of wandering weirdos without an excuse for a mob of wandering weirdos.  They were also bigtime sideshow material, too.

Dancing Bear for and Animal Partner. How does this not sound like a sweet idea?

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »

Dancing Bear for and Animal Partner. How does this not sound like a sweet idea?
The minor problem of bears making everything worse.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 03:12:59 PM »

TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »

Unborn is unconscious from the first encounter with the plot line. 
Goblin is wounded, at half WP.  Can't seem to pass one acrobatics check.  Falls into the net below three straight times.
Giant is big.  is scary.  Manages to pick a fight with a child in the crowd.  Gets broken up by the town guards.  That's right.  A giant and a 6 year old attending a circus.  Broken up by the guard.
Dwarf and the Saurian become obsessed with the idea that a random (literally random) lady of the night is a member of the king's spydom.  Gets so hammered trying to 'unlock' her secrets, both are rendered unable to work.
Drake was the saving grace of the night.  Was holding jester's court for the king's children and actually did WELL on his dice rolls. 

On with the show!...
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »

Unborn is unconscious from the first encounter with the plot line. 
Goblin is wounded, at half WP.  Can't seem to pass one acrobatics check.  Falls into the net below three straight times.
Giant is big.  is scary.  Manages to pick a fight with a child in the crowd.  Gets broken up by the town guards.  That's right.  A giant and a 6 year old attending a circus.  Broken up by the guard.
Dwarf and the Saurian become obsessed with the idea that a random (literally random) lady of the night is a member of the king's spydom.  Gets so hammered trying to 'unlock' her secrets, both are rendered unable to work.
Drake was the saving grace of the night.  Was holding jester's court for the king's children and actually did WELL on his dice rolls. 

On with the show!...

If the rest of the campaign is like this, this should be absolutely amusing. lol

Ares
Handler

deus ex machina

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 03:04:47 AM »

How did an Unborn manage to become unconscious? Shocked

Plan B: Use more fire
Creamor
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 08:16:07 AM »

How did an Unborn manage to become unconscious? Shocked

Most of my players mitigate their Achilles's heel.  I was pleased when my Unborn didn't meta.  Unfortunately, electrical damage basically punts her in the head.  lol.  One fight.  -3 I believe.  She was napping.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: