Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 01:28:18 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  I feel a great disturbance....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I feel a great disturbance....  (Read 1879 times)
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. The Marvel purchase showed that Disney is well capable of making adult movies and not plastering themselves obviously over everything.

What really remains to be seen, as everyone has pretty much pointed out already, is when Ep 7 will be set and who will do the writing, whether it will be Jedi Academy based, or spawned off the novels.

2015 seems pretty early to me though to make a decent Ep 7 from pretty much scratch, unless there's a script (or a shell of a script) floating around there somewhere.

According to a video up on Starwars.com with Lucas talking about it, they have script treatments for 7, 8 and 9 and are already talking to writers for 7.

Here's the video.

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »

Yes, Sletchman, I figured that too ...

As for money, Lucas was the one who made the first money off of merchandising and always owned all those rights.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »

2015 seems pretty early to me though to make a decent Ep 7 from pretty much scratch, unless there's a script (or a shell of a script) floating around there somewhere.

In the announcement video Lucas mentions that he's been working with the creatives on the new trilogy for a while - which, you know, take that for what it's worth. Even if it's true, it means Lucas hasn't entirely withdrawn from the active ideaspace, which could be a Very, Very Bad Thing (tm).

Ah, I see as I catch up with the thread that VS beat me to the punch with the video. I'll let me post stand as written, as it contains commentary and I've got to jump back over to prep for the Fall 2012 Crafty Games Summit. Smiley

Also, it's worth noting that The Avengers 2 is also due to come out in 2015 as well. I doubt Disney will want two huge movies going up against one another, so they'll either own the year (Avengers in April/May and Star Wars in June/July?), sales wise, or move Star Wars back to 2016.

I highly doubt they made that choice without having firm dates and production schedules for everything in mind - this deal has almost certainly been in the works for months, if not longer - and so I find it unlikely the date will move without a pretty strong (and currently unforeseen) reason.

I'm even more curious now what's going on over at Warner Brothers, what with their announcement that a Justice League movie will hit that same summer. (Yeah, good luck with that, especially now...)

I not terribly surprised.  Disney has been absorbing anything and everything that makes money for years now.  Lucas has been making comments about how the fun is gone for a few months now.

It's mean, but I call this a victory for Star Wars fans the world over. I've been saying for years that the best thing that could happen to the IP would be for George to throw in the towel. Hopefully he finally has. (It's this talk of his continued involvement that gives me greatest pause about this whole deal.)

Oh wow.   It just occurred to me that this news has given me the perfect basis for a megacorp for my cyberpunk game:  The Disney Conglomerate - for all your entertainment needs.

I think I had that one in my high school Cyberpunk game back in the day. Folks looked at me cock-eyed back then. Who's laughing now? Wink

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »

I am cautiously optimistic, and would be much happier if they were doing something set in the time between The Old Republic and the original trilogy.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Viperion
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 01:58:58 PM »

In the announcement video Lucas mentions that he's been working with the creatives on the new trilogy for a while - which, you know, take that for what it's worth. Even if it's true, it means Lucas hasn't entirely withdrawn from the active ideaspace, which could be a Very, Very Bad Thing (tm).
Yes. Yes it could....
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 02:40:54 PM »

I am cautiously optimistic, and would be much happier if they were doing something set in the time between The Old Republic and the original trilogy.

I think I'm the only one hoping for something after everything.  Use everything as possible history.. and start fresh.  (Oh.. and also.. skip the Yuzzum Vong.  Just.. skip em.)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »

The Old Republic and its wholesale recycling of visual motifs and designs shows why this is a potentially really bad idea, not to mention rutting around in the past isn't exactly the signal you want to send.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 03:40:12 PM »

Oh.. and also.. skip the Yuzzum Vong.  Just.. skip em.
Best idea I've heard all day.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »

If it were up to me, there would be a teaser trailer that opens with the camera pan down to the curve of a planet from every SW movie, then we see the Millennium Falcon -- damaged and on fire -- drift into shot. A homage both to the appearance of the Ebon Hawk at the start of The Sith Lords and the events at the start of the novel trilogy that continued the story of Lucasí WillowÖ

ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »

If it were up to me, there would be a teaser trailer that opens with the camera pan down to the curve of a planet from every SW movie, then we see the Millennium Falcon -- damaged and on fire -- drift into shot. A homage both to the appearance of the Ebon Hawk at the start of The Sith Lords and the events at the start of the novel trilogy that continued the story of Lucasí WillowÖ

WILLOW... now there's a property that has lots of great potential.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 04:12:44 PM »

Considering Fantasy Flight got it's hands on the RPG rights, I think this announcement is aptly timed. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I'm not about to turn my nose up to it, yet. I kinda want to see what other writers can do movie-wise for once.

I'll also raise a glass for Willow.

(Odd place for my first post on the forums, but meh.)

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »

Willow is IMHO the second finest thing ever to come out of Lucasfilm (trailing only Raiders). *

* I dig Star Wars, but nothing tops Raiders on that list, and my soft spot for Willow is far-reaching and wildly fluffy,

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 01:58:00 AM »

Willow is IMHO the second finest thing ever to come out of Lucasfilm (trailing only Raiders). *

* I dig Star Wars, but nothing tops Raiders on that list, and my soft spot for Willow is far-reaching and wildly fluffy,

If we're talking about the first three Indy films, sure.  That fourth one just didn't work.  (Not a horrible film, just not a good Indy film.)

I like me some Willow, too but still gonna have to put Star Wars before both of them.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 07:06:48 AM »

The Empire Strikes Back, then Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I guess I should get my paws on a copy of Willow.

tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 07:46:18 PM »

The most troubling fact for me in this whole story has been Disney's claim to assign zero value to Indian Jones.  It's exactly the kind of thing that Disney is good at, and they just see it as so much junk that they'd just as soon not have lying around.

As far as star wars though, I don't care.  I've been done with Star Wars for some time now.  It just hurt too much.  So, I'm happy for it, and I hope this turns out well, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: