Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 08:49:25 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Campaign portals/wiki
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Campaign portals/wiki  (Read 423 times)
jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2012, 08:24:56 AM »

Does anyone have an opinion or preference on a portal or wiki site that's easy to use and preferably free to collect all those little tidbits of information from an RPG campaign? I don't want an online tabletop, just a decent storage mechanism for our group to be able to edit.

I know about Obsidian portal, but I've never used it (even the free version).

Anyone?
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:30:50 AM »

Depends on number of people you want editing it and what you want to do.

I use Wikidot, my membership level is free and I can have 5 people editing it (paid sites get more members allowed and domain names and the like).  It's pretty easy to use, too, but if you know CSS you can do quite a bit with it's setup.  I mostly use mine for just meta information (statlines for a new gun, or NPC blocks, as well as racial templates for my GURPS: Fallout game), but I'm considering expanding it to the sort of things you're talking about.

It's here if you want to have a look (see if the style they have suits what you want to do).  Keep in mind that I prefer a simplistic / minimalist aesthetic, and mostly want my site compatible with tablets / smart phones, so it's by no means fancy.

It's not designed for what I use it for, but the T&C doesn't seem to prohibit using it for a roleplaying group (and there is some far more niche wiki's on wikidot, too).
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »

I've used several:

PBworks is a straightforward do-it-yourself wiki. You manage everything and have to build everything. That provides plenty of control, but it can also get time consuming, and if you're not savvy in the ways of html and crosslinking it could be slow and frustrating. Here's an example of an old d20 campaign, in a homebrew world called Fayteri that used it for plot and loot tracking.

Obsidian Portal is more dedicated to RPGing than PBwiki, though this has its ups and downs. You know where to find it, and there are ample campaign sites to surf around on. I play in an OP campaign currently, using the Rise of the Runelords adventure path. I feel like OP could be better, but it's in the center of the space for this kind of thing, and that's hard to argue. I *do* like the ability to "fan" a campaign, since surfing around the heavily fanned games can be a lot of fun--some guys work really hard on their campaign sites, and it's nice to have a way to point that out.

My current favorite in this arena is Epic Words, wherein I'm involved in a Curse of the Crimson Throne campaign. It's still got warts--no engine is perfect, but these guys seem to be more engaged in actively working on the site than the Obsidian guys. Of course, I'm a sucker for the underdog, and Epic Words is certainly the underdog versus something like Obsidian Portal, so take that as you will. 

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 08:57:32 AM »

If you are just looking for a storehouse for info, check out Invisionfree.com ... I do some forum gaming on some sites there and even created my own forum site to use just as a library. It is free and you can make it public or private. You can create member groups if you want to have people in certain groups like say all the Burglars and Assassins are a member group. Then you can set up a separate forum that only they can read for rumors or Guild specific forums that can only be read by those who know the password (which you can always send a Personal Message to them including, especially if they Deciphered it).

Take a look and see what you think.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: