Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 06:12:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Windows 8
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 2414 times)
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 02:42:51 PM »

I'll start paying attention to tablets as a laptop replacement when they can reliably run the current version of Photoshop. Until then, they're a media center for me and nothing more.
i have never been a fan of doing stuff like photoshop on a laptop myself. for the rest of it tablets work fine.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »

I'll start paying attention to tablets as a laptop replacement when they can reliably run the current version of Photoshop. Until then, they're a media center for me and nothing more.
i have never been a fan of doing stuff like photoshop on a laptop myself. for the rest of it tablets work fine.

It's a big chunk of what I do day to day (using the Creative Suite). The ability to do that, with the ability to add peripherals to a streamlined form factor that naturally stands up but lives in 1/6 the footprint... That's a worthy lifestyle upgrade to me.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »

Where'd I put my luddite suit?

I like watching the progress of technology and am amazed by what it can do day to day but not terribly interested in upgrading my personal tech.

----

Re Work Tech:

I do a large amount of data entry, data processing, composition, etc.  All of which require a keyboard to be efficient.  I'm a touch typist and I have yet to find a satisfying substitute for the real thing.

So, I don't expect Surface to ever change the business market.

The_Grand_User
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »

A tablet itself may not be able to do that for awhile, or they may, I don't know. However, you'll still have your desktop and Windows 8 have pretty good remote desktop software. I'm using it right now on my Surface tablet to play around with the Unity 3D version 4 beta from the comfort of my living room. I'll probably get a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard sooner or later. I do have a $5 micro HDMI cable I could use to show it on my TV, but that would interrupt the show we're watching Wink

If it works reasonably well for that, it should be able to handle something like Photoshop.

I'm a programmer by trade, of course I like to tinker! Cheesy

"I don't want to fight dragons." - Hiccup

Drakes, the very best part about FC ^_^

I'm designing my own RPG, The Dual20 system! Cheesy
The_Grand_User
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2012, 12:26:39 AM »

Hehehehe, Microsoft can't be accused of making a shoddy product link

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 01:58:15 AM »

Hehehehe, Microsoft can't be accused of making a shoddy product link

I give more props to Corning and whoever made the pvd magnesium chassis, but still impressive.

Also, point of order. Windows 8 has the same remote desktop as Vista and Windows 7.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
The_Grand_User
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 02:25:15 AM »

Windows 8 actually has two Remote Desktops, the older one of Vista/Win 7 and a Metro one, though I expect they'll share plenty of functionality. They also have updated the protocol they use, which adds more GPU based support (hence my ability to use Unity 3D in it before. Couldn't do that a few years ago, and I definitely had reason to try with my line of work)

Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 01:18:57 PM »

The tech press, after a bit of pre-release fawning, has started to wail on Win8.

http://www.zdnet.com/what-not-to-buy-on-black-friday-windows-8-pcs-and-laptops-7000007557/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57551670-75/design-guru-nielsen-windows-8-ui-smothers-usability/

By me, their points seem pretty sound.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 10:32:23 PM »

Those are very close to my opinion of Windows 8 - an OS that I will avoid.

I am not a fan of tablets, so why would I want my desktop to act like one?

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2012, 11:46:18 PM »

Still rocking Windows XP and loving it.  Might upgrade to Windows 7 when I finally break down and get a new computer but most likely I'll make the final switch to Linux.

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2012, 02:42:50 AM »

It took little more than reports that you couldn't easily backport or even wipe and reinstall with many of the new machines for me to go with a Windows 7 machine for my new laptop (purchased just last week, while I was up in Portland benefiting from zero sales tax).

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 09:13:55 PM »

How useful is the Live Tiles implementation on Windows 8?  I really like the idea of a simple display of a lot of information.  Rainmeter is useful when you want a lot of detail but most of the time I just want a bunch of instances of data without a lot of detail.  Of course, this is Microsoft so I'm looking for the gotcha. 

QT5 will let me do exactly what I want on KDE so I'll probably end up implementing the tiles there.
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 09:59:07 PM »

How useful is the Live Tiles implementation on Windows 8?  I really like the idea of a simple display of a lot of information.  Rainmeter is useful when you want a lot of detail but most of the time I just want a bunch of instances of data without a lot of detail.  Of course, this is Microsoft so I'm looking for the gotcha. 

QT5 will let me do exactly what I want on KDE so I'll probably end up implementing the tiles there.

It depends on what you're looking for.  Right now, live tiles are dependent on the developer and what data they will show.

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: