Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 08:26:33 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Windows 8
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 2135 times)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »

... private sector sure do wave really hefty paychecks around... to the point where I've debated transitioning.  ...almost.
Finish your 20 and GTFO.

LOL.  Yep.  That's what keeps me.  10 to go!
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 04:03:35 PM »

In return for the .gov pension, of course, we taxpaying gamers will expect you to come run games at our house.  Smiley

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »

In return for the .gov pension, of course, we taxpaying gamers will expect you to come run games at our house.  Smiley

Lil' bit of humble pie.  I'm not that great of a GC.  I'm okay.  Just good at handling plot hooks.. like when the Dwarf becomes blindly convinced a local lady of the night is a member of the kings spydom.. ..and drinks himself to unconscious the night before their first 'circus act'...  I'm just GC by default.  lol.  

P.S.  Toyed around with Windows 8.  I can see why they did what they did, but this thing is NOT fit for a long life.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 10:45:11 PM »

I played with a Windows 8 fondleslab for a bit.

It makes sense there and presumably on a phone.  It probably helped I knew what edges stuff was hiding under.

It wasn't nearly as good a UI with a mouse, keyboard, and big monitor when I played with it on my laptop.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 03:34:41 AM »

It's definitely designed for touchscreen's, though on the flipside, it's probably going to either fail or make touchscreens more pervasive - I don't view that as a bad thing.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 03:45:04 AM »

The thing is, touch screens on a PC or a non-tablet notebook are horrible for serious work..

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 03:54:23 AM »

True, but eventually they'll be ubiquitous, it may take another decade or so, but I think they will move to being the rule instead of the exception (whether they supplant or supplement the traditional keyboard and mouse setup).
Although I do think that they are trying to divide up their market again, Windows 8 for home use and Windows server using virtual/remote machines for work use.
Anyway, as an employee of local government, we're only just starting to migrate to Windows 7, projecting to take another 2 years to complete. So we'll probably look to Windows 8 2022.
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 04:07:01 AM »

i wonder if this may lead to a separation. i have a theory that this could lead to more businesses going to a bunch of thin client pc's based around a centralized server environment, meaning we could see a separation between home and business operating systems. though if i ever do any real work i use linux.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »

... a bunch of thin client pc's based around a centralized server environment, ...
Yay for a return to the old terminals?  At least the hardware to put in the center is reasonably priced these days.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 10:32:18 AM »

i wonder if this may lead to a separation. i have a theory that this could lead to more businesses going to a bunch of thin client pc's based around a centralized server environment, meaning we could see a separation between home and business operating systems. though if i ever do any real work i use linux.

We toyed around with Virtualization for a few solutions, and we kept hitting road blocks that turned into migraines.  Mobile Users.  Disaster Planning if the Fiber Link goes down.  Especially if the link goes to a different site.  "Hey.. we can't reach Philly.  ...well.. our 800 people didn't need to work today anyway.".. lol.  The third was job specific related.  Another nightmare scenario.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 10:37:25 AM »

I've worked with a lot of places who do their real work using virtual machinces and wyse terminals.

Virtual machines are still primarily about reducing the number of servers an enterprise uses.

TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »

I've worked with a lot of places who do their real work using virtual machinces and wyse terminals.

Virtual machines are still primarily about reducing the number of servers an enterprise uses.

Oh absolutely.  We have a SLEW of Virtual Servers.  I think one of my cabinets went down from 14U of blades to 5.  I was thrilled.  ...until a RAID controller died and suddenly I was down 4 servers instead of 1. 
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »

Back to Windows 8 for a moment though.  The other issue I have with Windows 8.. and maybe I'm nitpicky.. but.. are any of you your family's IT provider?  Yeah.  Fantastic.  The first time my parents buy a Windows 8 PC, I'm asking for re-assignment to London.
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 01:11:54 PM »

The first time my parents buy a Windows 8 PC, I'm asking for re-assignment to London.

My mum bought a new laptop (with Win7) last year. That's her first new computer in over a decade. I'm not too worried about her upgrading any time soon Wink

As for my in-laws, my father-in-law is a web developer, so I don't anticipate too many calls from him should he upgrade. Plus, he's more than happy with Win7, so isn't in a hurry either.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

Your game room, kid-friendly again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 02:10:43 PM »

I'll start paying attention to tablets as a laptop replacement when they can reliably run the current version of Photoshop. Until then, they're a media center for me and nothing more.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: