Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 01:59:43 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Windows 8
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 2512 times)
The_Grand_User
Operative

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2012, 07:31:39 PM »

So I'm putting Windows 8 on all my systems (and have had the preview on my desktop for a few months) as well as got a Surface (which I'm using to write this), and I'm loving it Grin

Anyone else springing for the new OS? And would anyone like some Crafty games specific apps for Windows 8? I know I would love some, at least a version of the NPC creator and probably a character sheet. Though if the Crafty guys wanted to make a full rules reference version of their books I wouldn't hesitate to buy it Wink

I'm going to be playing with the dev tools myself (and have off and on with the pre-release versions). Any other devs here interested in the platform?

I'm a programmer by trade, of course I like to tinker! Cheesy

"I don't want to fight dragons." - Hiccup

Drakes, the very best part about FC ^_^

I'm designing my own RPG, The Dual20 system! Cheesy
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »

I'm looking at picking up a Samsung Ativ Smart PC once they are available.   I want the x86 version of Windows 8 vs the RT(arm) that comes on the Microsoft Surface.

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 11:31:12 AM »

I always avoid new windows releases until after the first service patch.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »

I always avoid new windows releases until after the first service patch.

That's my preference, too.

My employers are so cautious, we're still using Windows XP (SP3). They have recently made noises about upgrading to Windows 7... in the next year or two.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Viperion
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »

Where do you work Wolverine? I'm at a City Council and we're upgrading to Win 7 as we speak (you can't rush these things... the rollout alone has taken 8 weeks and counting)
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »

I won't say the name of my company, I'll just say that we're pleased that Boris is more popular than Boy Wink

I remember when we upgraded from WinNT to XP. That was a 6+ month process, and our team was one of the last to move across.

"Dickhead books?"
The_Grand_User
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 06:01:50 PM »

Wolverine that sounds a bit... extreme? Or something, but certainly a bit more caution than is strictly needed. What sort of work environment causes that? Or is it just how those folks are? I can understand people wanting to wait for the first service pack before upgrading, though I think MS's beta process they've started with Win7 and have continued with Win8 largely eliminates that need.

Just hope you can get them to upgrade before MS drops support for XP Tongue Wink

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 06:13:42 PM »

It's taken so long because we use a number of legacy systems, a couple of which are 15+ years old. They've been extensively testing them with the Win7.

I do like Microsoft's new beta process, it's much more streamlined than the 'good old days'. It does appear we're also getting more stable operating systems as a result, too.

"Dickhead books?"
The_Grand_User
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 06:20:01 PM »

Ahhh, legacy systems, explains so much Tongue Wink

Has anyone proposed putting them in VMs, or just run them in a storage room some where and connect with Remote Desktop, while letting you upgrade your primary systems?

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 07:54:04 PM »

I'll wait for SP1 and a fix to the Start screen.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 07:37:13 AM »

Let's see.. certification process.. testing.. hardening.. validation and review.. etc etc.  Work will see Windows 8 when you guys are on 10.  ..maybe 11.  At home, I have it on the spare machine.  I'll reserve judgement once the pentesters and exploit cowboys have their ways with it.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 10:11:59 PM »

Let's see.. certification process.. testing.. hardening.. validation and review.. etc etc.  Work will see Windows 8 when you guys are on 10.  ..maybe 11.  At home, I have it on the spare machine.  I'll reserve judgement once the pentesters and exploit cowboys have their ways with it.

Are you sure we don't work for the same company?  We just upgraded to Vista because the contract forced us to.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 07:00:33 AM »

It's taken so long because we use a number of legacy systems, a couple of which are 15+ years old. They've been extensively testing them with the Winows 7.
One of my bosses uses a DOS program that can legally drink.  Oh, and it doesn't work well on 7's virtual machine.

He's going to be an unhappy panda when we finally dump it.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 09:04:04 AM »

Let's see.. certification process.. testing.. hardening.. validation and review.. etc etc.  Work will see Windows 8 when you guys are on 10.  ..maybe 11.  At home, I have it on the spare machine.  I'll reserve judgement once the pentesters and exploit cowboys have their ways with it.

Are you sure we don't work for the same company?  We just upgraded to Vista because the contract forced us to.

I'm public sector.  So, no company, technically.  Though, I'll tell ya, in recent years, some companies have tried to lure me away from Uncle Sam.  While the benefits favor Ol' Uncle Sam, private sector sure do wave really hefty paychecks around... to the point where I've debated transitioning.  ...almost.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »

... private sector sure do wave really hefty paychecks around... to the point where I've debated transitioning.  ...almost.
Finish your 20 and GTFO.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: