Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 03:55:42 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Frontiercraft] Adapting Star Frontiers to Mastercraft
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Frontiercraft] Adapting Star Frontiers to Mastercraft  (Read 2141 times)
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 09:01:30 PM »

On Dralasites, why not just give them the Many Armed feat? The pseudopodia/reabsorbing verbiage feels like it's trying really hard to describe in other terms what Many Armed is already letting a character do. I wonder if you're letting the flavor lead you down an unnecessarily complicated path, when flavoring this existing option seems to do everything a Dralasite will need.

On Yazarians, why not stack up multiple grades of catfall rather than create glide from scratch? I concede that this option doesn't address horizontal movement, but I wonder if you could fold them together a bit, like:

Glide: When not flat-footed, you ignore the first 40 feet of falling damage. In addition, for every 5 feet you fall per round, you may move 5 feet horizontally, up to 40 feet per round.

Or even

Glide: You gain Winged Flight 40'. However, for every 10 feet you move horizontally, you must descend 5 feet. If you cannot descend, you cannot glide. (with a species feat "Catch a Thermal" that lets you glide without descending for short periods)

Or something.

And I confess I'd be half inclined to give Vrusk the Beast type, but they've certainly got fine manipulators, so ultimately that's no good.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 11:32:44 PM »

Parts I'm not commenting on I'm still thinking about.

It doesn't really appeal I'm afraid. Mostly for the reasons listed above but especially as I think 'people you know by smell' is really nothing more than a simple circumstance bonus to a standard tracking check and the sort of basic 101 stuff anyone who picks up a scent oriented species rightfully expects them to be capable of out of the gate.

Unfortunately, it's something that the original rules never used again.  That's why I downplayed in my write up.  Kind of like how they say Dralasites have black and white vision but then tell you on some planets they dye themselves bright colors to show their individuality.

Nevertheless, at 1pt it might be worth working in somehow.  I might reduce the track bonus.  I really don't like large static bonuses.

Leaving aside that I strongly disagree with your approach to oozes, Precision makes far more sense than Grace as the defining attribute for limb generation: Nothing about impress, acting or acrobatics suggests that sort of connection, whereas Profession's operate check does (alternatively, Determination's key skill of Focus suggest that it might also be a viable choice of defining attribute)

I'm using ooze in a different way than FC does.  The setting's other races are folk, folk, weird shaped folk, squishy worm.  They're not a traditional ooze but they're closest to it.  I wouldn't use this approach in a setting that needed traditional oozes.  NPC's can be handled descriptively and through number of attacks.

I chose Grace for several reasons.  First, Grace represents not just social graces but also the ability to move and control one's body.  That's why I argued for Acrobatics to be a Grace skill.  And that's exactly what this represents.  Precision is more aim and detail.  If a Dralasite needed to form a limb with the same proportions as someone else (perhaps because he intends to wear there skin over his hand to fool a biometric scanner.  Ewww.) that would use precision.  But see below for something I thought of.

On Dralasites, why not just give them the Many Armed feat? The pseudopodia/reabsorbing verbiage feels like it's trying really hard to describe in other terms what Many Armed is already letting a character do. I wonder if you're letting the flavor lead you down an unnecessarily complicated path, when flavoring this existing option seems to do everything a Dralasite will need.

I had a couple concerns with that.  First, it puts one race up a species feat and gives them an easy path to gain a second one.  I'm not sure how many species feats there will end up being (none of the species here have any subspecies so they're all going to be things I make up) but I don't want one race to be Mr species DC abuser.

The other concern was I wanted a variable number of usable limbs.  With the grace penalty, it looks like most are going to end up only making 2 limbs.  Maybe Grace mod + Precision mod (Min 2) might work best.

On Yazarians, why not stack up multiple grades of catfall rather than create glide from scratch? I concede that this option doesn't address horizontal movement, but I wonder if you could fold them together a bit, like:

Glide: When not flat-footed, you ignore the first 40 feet of falling damage. In addition, for every 5 feet you fall per round, you may move 5 feet horizontally, up to 40 feet per round.

Or even

Glide: You gain Winged Flight 40'. However, for every 10 feet you move horizontally, you must descend 5 feet. If you cannot descend, you cannot glide. (with a species feat "Catch a Thermal" that lets you glide without descending for short periods)

Or something.

You're on to something here.  Maybe this:

Glide: When you are not helpless and you fall, you may glide.  You move horizontally 10 foot for every five foot you fall (maximum 40' per round horizontal) and take no falling damage while gliding.

1.5 and just replace the current glide and catfall?  I'm a secret Yazarian hater (I don't like mammal/human hybrid species and a primate/human hybrid is called a human.  Humans are primates!!! Yaarggh! Smiley ) but that's a good representation of their ability.

And I confess I'd be half inclined to give Vrusk the Beast type, but they've certainly got fine manipulators, so ultimately that's no good.

Yeah, they have freaky agile hands. 

Those who look at the source material will note that I left out the original special abilities of the races.  They weren't very special but they may come back as species feats.

Look for Species 1.5 soon.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 12:50:24 AM »

A few example items.  How does this look for field usage/ items.  Don't sweat the costs for now.   Also, crappy table Smiley

Medical Equipment
These devices require medical training in the form of Field(Medicine) to use effectively.  Without this, you are untrained.

Explaination of columns
Skill: The Expertise check DC needed to use the item along with the action (s-standard f-full r-whole round) or time needed to use the item.  Sab or Prof indicates the use of those skills.
Const: The Profession check DC to create the item.  This requires a medical workshop.
Cost: In standard credits.
Code:
Name            Effect                                Uses     SZ/Hand   Skill      Const  Comp       Weight   Cost
Antivenom       Cures poisons                      1         D/1h     20f          20D   Brittle 1    .1kg    25
Balm-it-all        Dust Protection I                  5         D/1h     0/1m       15D   Soft 2      .1kg    10
BreatheDeep    Pressure Protection I             30         D/1h     0/f           15D   Soft 1      .1kg   10
Plastiflesh        stops bleeding                       5         T/1h      10s          15D   Brittle 1   .5kg    10
Telol               Truth Serum                           1         D/1h      Sab20f    25D   Brittle 1   .1kg    500*
Vitasalt          Provides salts and nutrients       30        D/1h     0s            20D   Soft 1      .1kg    20

Medi cal Equipment
Bioscanner      Diagnosis of conditons                    T/2h      Prof20r   20W   Hard 1       1kg   100
Stasis Field    Preserves severely wounded            S/2h      25/1m    25W   Hard 2      1kg    500

Equipment Descriptions
Antivenom-This hypospray will immediately stop further effects from any poison.  It is ineffective against other toxins.  The DC to use is 20 or the poison's save DC, whichever is higher.
Balm-it-all: This salve is the ultimate in soothing technology.  It prevents further effects from Dust Hazard I and reduces the effects of Dust Hazard II.  The effects last 24 hours.
Bioscanner.  This consists of a small handheld scanner and a larger output screen.  WIth a successful check, all of the ailments a character suffers from are identified.  This is sufficient to begin treatment.
BreatheDeep: Pan-Galactic BreatheDeep allows sophont's bodies to adapt to both high and low pressure environments.  It lasts 24 hours.
Plastiflesh: Spray on to seal and protect wounds!
Stasis Field: Characters in a stasis field do not take further damage while the field is active, nor can they act.  While the field is active, they do not eat, breathe, or age.
Telol: Make a Sabotage vs Focus check.  If you win, your opponent is considered untrained in all skill use for one hour.  This is considered a poison and possession is tightly regulated on civilized worlds.
Vitasalt: With one pill per day, characters who have adequate water and even the lowest quality food are considered well-fed.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 08:09:03 AM »

Species 1.5 -- Added a representation of each race's "special ability"

Dralasite

[1.0] Medium Argiloid, Reach 1
[0.0] Base Speed 30
[1.0] +2 Fitness, -2 Grace
[-0.5] Bland appearance: Your species is a textured grey bag with little variation and no concept of physical attractiveness.  Your appearance bonus decreases by 2.
[3.0] Psuedopodia: You can form limbs out of your mass.  You may form 2 walking limbs and a number of grasping limbs equal to the sum of your Precision and Grace modifiers(minimum 0) +2.  Forming or absorbing a limb takes one minute.  While you have at least one free grasping limb, you may make a free Handle Item action each round. If you have at least 2 limbs free, you gain a +1 with  grapple checks.
[1.0] Reabsorption: If you suffer a critical injury to a limb, you may absorb and reform that limb to rid yourself of the injury.
[0.5] Sterner Stuff: The keen value of attacks against you decreases by 4.
[1.0] Bloodhound: Your entire body functions as an olfactory organ.  You may identify people and objects by scent and recieve
a +4 bonus to Track checks when you can smell the target.
[0.0] Lie Detection: Whenever you gain a feat from any tree, you may instead choose to gain Basic Skill Mastery (Whatever Sense Motive shakes out to) or any feat depending on it.

Argiloid (+2xp/+1 design point): Your body is flexible and compressible but constrained by an outer membrane.  You are considered one size larger for resisting Bullrushes and Trips and may be considered one size larger or two sizes smaller as you wish for purposes of passing through confined places.  Argiloids eat, drink, breathe, and age.

Changes: Psuedopodia now takes both physical agility and precision into account.  Replaced Thick Hide with Bloodhound.  New Type Argiloid "Claylike" to preserve Ooze. 

Vrusk

[0.0] Medium Organic, Reach 1
[1.0] Base Speed 40
[1.0] +2 Precision, -2 Guile
[1.0] Agile Defense: Your Defense rises by 1.
[1.0] Enlightened Investigate: Your kind have dealt with corporate intrigue for thousands of years, giving you unparalleled ability to ferret out secrets. Your maximum ranks increase to level +5.
[2.0] Heat Protection II: Your exoskeleton controls moisture loss and allows you to survive heat that would kill others.  You ignore Heat Exposure I and II and reduce Heat Exposure III to Heat Exposure I.
[1.0] Improved Stability: 8 legs give you stability.  You are considered one size larger for defending against Bull Rush and Trip attempts as well as carrying capacity and trample attacks as long as you are standing on a solid surface.
[0.0] Comprehension: Whenever you gain a feat from any tree, you may choose to gain the Mark feat instead or any feat depending on it.

Unchanged

Yazarian

[0.0] Medium Organic, Reach 1
[1.0] Base Speed 40
[3.0] +2 Determination, +2 Grace, -2 Fitness
[1.5] Glide: When you are not helpless and you fall, you may glide.  You move horizontally 10 foot for every five foot you fall (maximum 40' per round horizontal) and take no falling damage while gliding.
[-0.5] Light Sensitive: You take 20 points of flash damage each time entering a more brightly lit area.
[1.0] Natural Attack I: Claws
[1.0] Superior Climber I:  With a successful climb check you move twice the distance.
[0.0] Threat Display: Whenever you gain a feat from any tree, you may trade it for Rage Basics or any feat that depends on it.

Changes: New Glide, a return of the "special" ability of Yazarians.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 07:06:30 PM »

With Yazarians clawed how do you feel about swapping the double-climb for the "always have a climbing kit" trait?

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 07:41:33 PM »

Those 0 point abilities are inspired.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 09:25:39 PM »

Those 0 point abilities are inspired.

Thanks!  That's the lightest form of coercion I could come up with. Smiley

With Yazarians clawed how do you feel about swapping the double-climb for the "always have a climbing kit" trait?

I started to say Sup Climber was better for the untrained and thus represented natural baseline ability better but it looks like they do the same thing.  Only Always have a kit is better.

Sup Climber I doubles climb speed.
Always kit doubles climb speed and removes the untrained cap (for trained)

That leads me to believe Superior Climber I should be 0.5 design points rather than 1.  If so, how about both of them.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 09:42:31 PM »

Superior Climber feels like much more of an NPC quality. The "always has the kit" is cleaner for PC use. Otherwise, the PC with superior climber moves at 1/2 speed but has a climb result cap? That's weird.

And don't hate on Yazarians. They're not monkey-men. They're monkey-batsGrin How do you feel about putting the word "may" in their horizontal glide movement. Should they be able to use their membranes like a quickie parachute, or is that species feat territory?

And aren't Dralasites naturally a little slower than the baseline? Seems like they were, though I can't say for certain.

And species feat thoughts:

Dralasite: Roller (tuck in your limbs and roll as a big ball--bonus to bull rush? trample? more speed?)

Yazarian: Thermal-rider (glide without falling for short distances) or Downsail (use your membranes like a parachute)

Vrusk: Warrior-drone (gain harder exoskeletal DR, maybe sacrifice Enlightened Investigate for Always Ready?)

Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 12:19:58 PM »

Superior Climber feels like much more of an NPC quality. The "always has the kit" is cleaner for PC use. Otherwise, the PC with superior climber moves at 1/2 speed but has a climb result cap? That's weird.

Superior Climber says "I'm great with easy climbs.  I can scale a tree like I was born at the top.  That smooth wall?  What would I do with that?"  Always have a kit means a Yazarian can climb a smooth glass skyscraper using only their claws.  I just don't think that level of proficiency is needed.

And don't hate on Yazarians. They're not monkey-men. They're monkey-batsGrin How do you feel about putting the word "may" in their horizontal glide movement. Should they be able to use their membranes like a quickie parachute, or is that species feat territory?

The closest analog for them is a wing suit.  Move forward or fall.  That said, I think an Acrobatics check to parachute or do a tight spiral seems very reasonable.  No need to go to a species feat for what seems like an act of skill.

And aren't Dralasites naturally a little slower than the baseline? Seems like they were, though I can't say for certain.

They were.  Yaz and Humans had the same walking and running speeds 10m walk/30 run.  Dralasites were slower (5m walk) but had a higher run multiplier (20m walk).  Vrusk did 15/35.  Then over land speeds, Dralasites and Yazarians had the same lower speeds while Humans weren't quite as fast as Vrusk overland.

Rather than try to translate all of that, I decided to peg Vrusk at 40 and Humans of course at 30.  Yazarians "felt" like they could be faster without ruining their flavor so I bumped them up to 40.

Dralasites on the other hand are my own prejudice.  I'm not a fan of slow races because I like to do foot chases.  Does it feel really wrong?  Gloop and Gleep never had any problems keeping up with the other Herculoids  Grin

And species feat thoughts:

Dralasite: Roller (tuck in your limbs and roll as a big ball--bonus to bull rush? trample? more speed?)

Yazarian: Thermal-rider (glide without falling for short distances) or Downsail (use your membranes like a parachute)

Vrusk: Warrior-drone (gain harder exoskeletal DR, maybe sacrifice Enlightened Investigate for Always Ready?)

Neat ideas.  I'm trying to keep Vrusk away from the hivemind concept because there should be one insectoid race that isn't one. 

My conception is that most vrusk are from the corporates, specialized tribes that became nearly single function houses.  Members are expected to put the corporate's good over their own.  Modern Vrusk have little worry that they will be called upon to sacrifice themselves but they still put the corporate first, giving their corporate's name and their job function before their own names.  PC Vrusk of course may or may not follow this custom or and probably don't belong to a corporate.

The Vrusk homeworld has a single supercontinent that strattles the equator of the planet.  This means that most of the land surface is hot dry desert similar to Arizona only much hotter.  Some corporates were able to establish permanent cities in oasis near resources but most were required to migrate between summer and winter resources.  Spawning is a seasonal affair that takes place in permanent oasis controlled by nursing corporates.  The other corporates would come in, spawn, and recruit new members.  Moving into the modern age, technology has alleviated most of the problems but the structures remain as the basis of vrusk society.

Out on the coasts there were fewer resource limits and the tribal structures are much looser.  Your feat would fit them to a tee.  They're very rough and tumble individualists.
Gentry