Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 08:21:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Frontiercraft] Adapting Star Frontiers to Mastercraft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Frontiercraft] Adapting Star Frontiers to Mastercraft  (Read 2098 times)
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:03:21 PM »

Star Frontiers was an early 80's Sci-fi RPG from TSR.  It was more somewhat goofy space opera (PC's could be human, space bugs, space goop, or space monkey) than Traveller but it had a charm all its own.  The game focused on the players as members of "Star Law Rangers" and featured a heavy exploration slant.  The Knight Hawks expansion set added the skills and equipment for spaceships as well as a 2D combat system for surprisingly quick and easy space battles which came with its own ship construction system.  The races but little else appeared in (I think) D20 Future.  There was the start of a second addition (Zebulon's Guide to Frontier Space) that removed much of the simplicity and took the games in new directions, if not always ones that seem wise. Smiley  SF was a casualty of the post-Gygax goings on at TSR.

Other than 80's charm and simple mechanics, what makes Star Frontiers interesting today is that all of the game materials are available free and legally from Starfrontiers.com.  I plan on working through adapting elements from the original game to a mutant branch of mastercraft.  This is really a way for me to experiment though I do hope to come out the other side with something usable.  Comments are always welcome and feel free to join in.

Some of the elements I intend to make use of:

Mastercraft: with modifications
Morgenstern's A new Pie  I like the way the skills and attribute hang together.
Probably some more stuff from the boards

As well as some stuff that will appear in threads I'm starting:
The save/skill/BAB rebalance
A hybrid gadget/magic item/NPC variant that I'm thinking of to replace Star Frontiers dated and cumbersome rules for robots and computers.
A 2D or 2.5D space combat system that's based on the robust mastercraft system.  Matching ship generation rules would work too.
Whatever else I can think of that makes for a exploration heavy game.  Some of the easy stuff will be late in appearing so I can give it the matching fluff it deserves.

I intend to make some changes to the setting itself to support that "into the unknown" feel I got when I was playing the original.  More to come.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 02:21:20 PM »

*signs up for season's tickets*

Sathar. One of my favorite bad-guy races of all time, and nicely expanded in a Dragon Magazine article.

I'll have to double check tht website to see if those magazine articles are stored there, because there was some outstanding support offered that way.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 09:40:18 AM »

What's not to like about genocidal hypnotic earthworms? Much better than the Zebulon's Guide races although the Mechanon have a lot of potential as not-quite-enemies who cause trouble just because of their alien viewpoint.  "We do not understand.  We do not object when you choose to add carbon dioxide to the station's air supply.  Why do you object to carbon monoxide?  Verbal communication is enhanced by the increased speed of sound through lighter air."  You just have to ignore the art that came with them.

I don't think the article you mention is online directly.  I remember reading a motivations of the Sathar type article in SFman but I don't remember which issue.  There is an index and there's a link to the SFMan fanzine on that site. The latest interview with one of the original designers who mentions that the Sathar were originally meant to be a player race, confirming the otherwise odd placement of the setting's big bad with player races. 

Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »

You guys are my heroes.  Smiley  I actually really liked the hard(er)-SF gravity stuff: the ships with the decks perpendicular to the direction of travel so that acceleration provided the gravity. I just wish the base rules had been, y'know, better. But Mastercrafting it sounds like fun.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:11:19 PM »

Heh, a quick read through of the Mechanon gives me great comfort they're pretty much nothing like the mechanical sapient race in Farthest Star Grin.

Its always bizzare to look back at old RPGs... wow the production values have changed radically since then. Some of the design concepts too. I was looking at the resoluton table and thinking "FFS, flip these numbers over so a high roll is a good thing!"

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:34:58 PM »

The laser weapons had a dial that determined the damage.  Each energy unit did 1d10 of damage (Maximum health is about 100, typical about 50-60).  A simple laser pistol could do 10d10 damage with the heavier weapons doing twice that.  Every game had a sniper type who loved his lasers.  To get around this, half the monsters in the book have reflective coatings.

Here's Species 1.0.  I'm doing a few background changes for my frontier.

Dralasite
Dralasites are 1.5 meter tall grey skinned creatures.  They lack internal hard structures and dedicated organs and form psuedolimbs as needed.  Some believe that Dralasites are giant single celled organisms but this is false.  They lack color vision and have sensitive senses of smell.  Dralasites pass through stages resembling sexes as well as a neuter stage.  In modern society these stages are medically controlled.  Dralasite culture is peaceful and emphasizes philosophy, comedy, and learning.  Dralasites are native to Inner Reach in the Dramune system.

[1.0] Medium Ooze, Reach 1
[0.0] Base Speed 30
[1.0] +2 Fitness, -2 Grace
[3.0] Psuedopodia: You can form limbs out of your mass.  You may form 2 walking limbs and a number of grasping limbs equal to your Grace modifier(minimum 0) +2.  Forming or absorbing a limb takes one minute.  While you have at least one free grasping limb, you may make a free Handle Item action each round. If you have at least 2 limbs free, you gain a +1 with  grapple checks.
[0.5] Reabsorption: If you suffer a critical injury to a limb, you may absorb and reform that limb to rid yourself of the injury.
[0.5] Sterner Stuff: The keen value of attacks against you decreases by 4.
[1.0] Thick Hide 2: You are considered to be wearing partial armor with a DR of 2.

Do I need all the verbiage in Psuedopodia with the Ooze type?  I'd prefer the mechanics I have listed if possible.

Vrusk
Vrusk are around 1.5 meters tall and nearly as long.  They walk on eight limbs and have an additional two on an upright thorax that are used for manipulation.  These latter limbs are double jointed and capable of reaching nearly any point on the vrusk body.  The head contains feeding and vocalization parts as well as two large compound eyes.  Vrusk have both an internal skeleton and an exoskeleton designed to limit water loss in the harsh deserts of their homeworld. The main social structure is the corporate, a tribe that evolved into a single purpose trading unit.  One corporate would sell kavshka meat, another would manufacture tools, while a third would bring in paints, dyes, and bright shells from the coasts. Since no corporate could survive alone, aggressive corporates found themselves shunned and unable to acquire the goods needed to survive.  Vrusk culture therefore places great emphasis on conformity and trustworthiness.  Vrusk and Human prejudices seemed to doom the two races to mistrust but time has made great strides in overcoming the distrust.

[0.0] Medium Organic, Reach 1
[1.0] Base Speed 40
[1.0] +2 Precision, -2 Guile
[1.0] Agile Defense: Your Defense rises by 1.
[1.0] Enlightened Investigate: Your kind have dealt with corporate intrigue for thousands of years, giving you unparalleled ability to ferret out secrets. Your maximum ranks increase to level +5.
[2.0] Heat Protection II: Your exoskeleton controls moisture loss and allows you to survive heat that would kill others.  You ignore Heat Exposure I and II and reduce Heat Exposure III to Heat Exposure I.
[1.0] Improved Stability: 8 legs give you stability.  You are considered one size larger for defending against Bull Rush and Trip attempts as well as carrying capacity and trample attacks as long as you are standing on a solid surface.

Yazarian
Yazarians share a body plan with humans, being four limbed bipeds with even their faces sharing a similar layout.  Yazarian arms are much longer in proportion to their bodies and support a membrane forming a kind of wing.  While not capable of true flight, they are equipped with claws on both hands and feet allowing them to climb and glide with ease.  They have excellent night vision but are easily blinded by bright lights.  Yazarian culture values honor and consists of wide tribal alliances.  Native Yazarian tech levels were low with single shot firearms and fixed steam engines.Vrusk corporates provided Yazarians with frontier technology in hopes of creating a counter to humans.

[1.0] Base Speed 40
[3.0] +2 Determination, +2 Grace, -2 Fitness
[-0.5] Brittle Bones: When you take blunt damage, you take an equal amount of lethal damage.
[0.5] Catfall: You take one less die of falling damage.
[1.0] Gliding: You may glide up to 4 squares for every square above ground level you are.  This is effectively Flight 40 with a distance limit.  You must be at least 10 foot off the ground to use this ability.
[-0.5] Light Sensitive: You take 20 points of flash damage each time entering a more brightly lit area.
[1.0] Natural Attack I: Claws
[1.0] Superior Climber II:  With a successful climb check you move three times the distance.
[0.5] Superior Jumper I:  With a successful jump check you move twice the distance.

How's glide look?  To have one round of flight, you need to make a climb check.

In addition, there are good old humans.  Here's what I've written about them.

Humans are 1.5-2 meter tall four limbed bipedal creatures with internal skeletons and soft outer skin of various shades.  They first entered the frontier around 2000 years ago and colonized at least 11 worlds.  Shortly thereafter, these worlds suffered a technological collapse.  Several worlds lost their entire populations with 3 worlds regressing to primitive political and technological states.  Legends speak of a dark enemy attacking that modern humans equate with the Sathar although a majority of researcher blame interspecies warfare for the colony collapses. Gran Quivera and Minotaur were eventually able to rebuild and reach space again where they encountered a Vrusk/Dralasite expedition.  After some initial trading, there was a period of almost 100 years of mutual distrust between Vrusk and Humans.  Several Vrusk corporates engaged in hostilities with human merchants whom they could not (or did not care to) distinguish from pirates.  War between forces from Minotaur and the Vrusk was only averted by the creation of the UPF to take over the task of pirate control and protecting the shipping lanes.

How does this read?  Is it too cheesy or have I copied something without realizing it?  I know it's not highly original but I'd hate to be cribbing some book without realizing it.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »

Disclaimer: I am utterly unfamiliar with this IP.

Dralasite:  You will want to reclassify what "Ooze" type does, since Psuedopodia kind of duplicates / subsumes many of the type abilities (that's good, since otherwise Ooze is extremely good, and well above the 1pt costing).  An alternative might be to include Psuedopodia into a slightly reworded Ooze type, and remove that verbage entirely - the way I'd choose to do it would be based on if the setting had other Oozes that don't exhibit Psuedopodia or the existing abilities of FC Ooze type.  Reabsorption looks better then 0.5 points to me, but I wouldn't necessarily argue against it's costing too strongly (my gut says 1 point).

Vrusk are interesting, particular the Organic type and Heat Exposure (I'd like to read more about what you're planning for those).

Yazarian: I personally priced Superior [Blah] at twice what you did (Superior [Blah] I at 1pt, and Superior [Blah] II at 2pts).  I figured that it's closest relative is Sure Footed - which is 1pt for + 1x base speed while running, and these are basically +1x base speed when [Blah].  Just a guess though, and as before I certainly wouldn't argue against it (and being a space game, Superior Climber / Jumper might be of extremely limited use).
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 01:17:46 PM »

Sletchman, Thank you for commenting!  I will look and address your concerns.

Right now, I want to throw something else out so don't think I'm ignoring you.

This thread introduced heat and cold exposure conditions.  Since a big part of star frontiers is exploring new planets (possibly after getting wrecked there) and surviving the
conditions (and natives, Sathar deathtraps) these struck me as very useful.

I've made a couple others for consideration.  If these become reasonable, I'll need radiation, pressure/vacuum and maybe a toxin/disease hazard I can plug different diseases into.

Protection stacking is covered in the other thread. 

Surviving Environmental Hazards:
Characters may make a one-hour Survival check (DC 20 + 2 per level of the hazard) to find or construct the equivalent of Hazard Protection I for a single hazard.  With a critical success, this becomes Hazard Protection II.  If multiple hazards are present, a check may be made for each.

Visibility Hazards
Examples: Thick, cloudy atmospheres, fog, snow storms. 

Visibility Hazard I: Ambient Light decreases by 1 level.  No additional local or overland effects. 
Visibility Protection I negates this condition.  Examples: Light sources, red dot laser sights, compass (overland)

Visibility Hazard II: Ambient Light decreases by 2 levels.  Range weapons maximum increments drop by one.  Characters must make a Will save (DC 20 + 2 per hour of overland travel) or lose 1 hour of travel being lost.
Visibility Protection II negates this condition.  Examples: Thermal vison (local), careful maps, inertial guidance.

Visibility Hazard III: Ambient Light decreases by  2 levels.  Ranged weapons maximum increments drop by two. Characters must make a Will save (DC 20 + 2 per hour of overland travel) or lose 1d6 hour of travel being lost.
Visibility Protection III negates this condition. Examples include sonar systems (local), GPS (overland)

Visibility Hazard IV: Ambient light decreases by 3 levels.  All characters are considered blinded.  Ranged weapons my not be used beyond CQB range.  Local movement requires a DC20 Will save or characters deviate by 1d3 squares in a random direction.  Characters lose 1d4 hours of overland travel per day and must make a Will save (DC 20 + 2 per hour of overland  travel) or lose 1d6 hour of travel being lost.
Visibility Protection IV negates this condition. Examples: Consolidated Overwatch Total Battlefield Awareness system, active
satellite guidance.

Dust Hazards
Note: Dust hazards represent items that are blown or disturbed by passage and cause physical irritation.  Dust clouds that
obscure but do not irritate would be Visibility Hazards.
Examples: Fine dust, sand storms, swarms of biting flies, acidic clouds

Dust Exposure I: Characters must make a Fortitude save at the end of each day exposed to this hazard or suffer 1d6 stress damage (DC 15 + 1 per hour without relief). (Yes, the save counts hours intentionally)  Errors using electronic or mechanical equipment cost one less action die to activate.
Dust Protection I negates this condition. Examples: cloth face mask, loose robes, soothing balms, a shower

Dust Exposure II: Characters must make a Fortitude save at the end of each hour exposed to this hazard or suffer 1d6 stress damage (DC 15 + 1 per hour without relief).  Errors using electronic or mechanical equipment cost one less action die to activate and error ranges for such equipment increase by one. 
Dust Protection II negates this condition. Examples: filtering masks, disposable oversuits

Dust Exposure III: Characters must make a Fortitude save every minute exposed to this hazard or suffer 2d6 edged damage  (DC 15 + 2 per minute period without relief). Errors using electronic or mechanical equipment cost one less action die to activate and error ranges for such equipment increase by one.  This effect persists until the equipment is cleaned (DC 10 repair, 1 hour)
Dust Protection III negates this condition. Examples: filtering helmets, sealed rubberized outfits.

Dust Exposure IV: Characters must make a Fortitude save every 15 minutes exposed to this hazard or suffer 2d6 edged damage (DC 15 + 2 per 15 minute period without relief). Errors using electronic or mechanical equipment cost one less action die to activate and error ranges for such equipment increase by two (minimum 1-2).  This effect persists until the equipment is cleaned (DC 10 repair, 1 hour)
Dust Protection IV negates this condition. Examples: sealed hardsuits, vehicles with sealed and filtered interiors.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »

Ah, of course - that thread had totally slipped my mind.  Those new ones look like good additions, too.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »

Disclaimer: I am utterly unfamiliar with this IP.

Links to PDFs are in the first post if you'd like to see the original material.  Otherwise it's fairly straight forward sci-fi so you're not going to have much trouble following along.

Dralasite:  You will want to reclassify what "Ooze" type does, since Psuedopodia kind of duplicates / subsumes many of the type abilities (that's good, since otherwise Ooze is extremely good, and well above the 1pt costing).  An alternative might be to include Psuedopodia into a slightly reworded Ooze type, and remove that verbage entirely - the way I'd choose to do it would be based on if the setting had other Oozes that don't exhibit Psuedopodia or the existing abilities of FC Ooze type. 

I think I'd like to cut the limb verbiage from Ooze so I can use the ooze type for Sathar, the slimy fluid filled worms that are the setting's big bad.  They had a player race offshoot so this isn't wasted work.  Here's what I currently think for a 1 pt ooze type:

Ooze (+2xp/+1 design point): Your body is flexible and compressible.  You are considered one size larger for resisting Bullrushes and Trips and may be considered one size larger or two sizes smaller as you wish for purposes of passing through confined places.  Oozes eat, drink, breathe, and age.

Psuedopodia is essentially the Many Arm feat so I think 3 is reasonable there.

Reabsorption looks better then 0.5 points to me, but I wouldn't necessarily argue against it's costing too strongly (my gut says 1 point).

1 point might be reasonable.  I'd have to add a disadvantage to keep them balanced.  It is only 2 types of critical injury and
out of combat only.  I have to think on this.  More opinions would be helpful.

This would be the balancing disadvantage:
[-0.5] Bland appearance: Your species is a textured grey bag with little variation and no concept of physical attractiveness.  Your appearance bonus decreases by 2.

I kind of like it so I may go with the higher cost just to put it in.

Vrusk are interesting, particular the Organic type and Heat Exposure (I'd like to read more about what you're planning for those).

Organic will disappoint - It's just Folk in sci-fi drag.  Heat Exposure comes from Morgenstern and is in the post below yours.  I'd like to put a small planet generation section so that GM's can describe the planet you've just crashed into and have a set of
usable hazards to throw at you.

Yazarian: I personally priced Superior [Blah] at twice what you did (Superior [Blah] I at 1pt, and Superior [Blah] II at 2pts).  I figured that it's closest relative is Sure Footed - which is 1pt for + 1x base speed while running, and these are basically +1x base speed when [Blah].  Just a guess though, and as before I certainly wouldn't argue against it (and being a space game, Superior Climber / Jumper might be of extremely limited use).

I took the costs from my species feat creation document.  I could knock them down to Sup Climb I with no jump and remove the brittle bones though.  Climber/Jumper aren't much good in built up areas but if you're the exploration type they might be.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »

A couple more.  Gravity kills Smiley 

Pressure Hazards
Pressure Hazard I (.1-.5 atm, 1.5-2.5 atm) Characters must make a Fortitude save (DC 16+2 per hour without relief) each day or take 1d6 stress and become sickened.  Characters may not lose sickened or recover stress until they have relief.  Characters who make 3 consecutive saving throws against Pressure Hazard I gain Pressure Protection I for the remainder of the adventure.
Pressure Protection I negates this hazard.  Examples: Concentrating Rebreather, altitude pills, acclimation

Pressure Hazard II (.01-.1 atm, 2.5-3 atm) Characters must make a Fortitude save (DC 16+2 per hour without relief) each hour or take 2d6 stress and become sickened.  Characters may not lose sickened or recover stress until they have relief. 
Pressure Protection II negates this hazard.  Examples: Pressure masks, boned composite fiber clothing.

Pressure Hazard III (Less than .01 atm, 3-5 atm) Characters must make a Fortitude save (DC 16+2 per 15 minute period without relief) every 15 minutes or take 2d6 blunt and become sickened.  Characters may not lose sickened or recover stress or vitality until they have relief. 
Pressure Protection III negates this hazard.  Examples: Reinforced rubberized suits, full face oxygen mask, air tanks.

Pressure Hazard IV (Vacuum, 5+ atm) Characters must make a Fortitude save (DC 16+2 per round/6seconds without relief) each round/6 seconds or take 2d6 blunt, 2d6 stress and become sickened.  Characters may not lose sickened or recover stress until they have relief. 
Pressure Protection IV negates this hazard.  Examples: Sealed environmental suits, spacesuits, hardsuits with air supplies.

Gravity Hazards
There is only one microgravity hazard.  Since a ship that is not accelerating is in microgravity, this is one of the most common hazards encountered.  Gravity hazards occur on high gravity planets as well as ships that perform extreme manuevers.

Microgravity Hazard (Less than .1g) Characters must make a Fortitude save (DC 20 + 1 per hour without relief) on exposure and every hour thereafter or become sickened.  Characters who make 3 succesive saves gain Microgravity Protection until they spend a day outside of microgravity or the end of the adventure, whichever comes first. When moving adjacent to a character or solid object, making a melee attack, or firing any weapon except an energy weapon, characters must make a Dc 20 Reflex save or take a -2 to hit and 1d6 subdual.  Characters failing this save may float away from surfaces if they do not have a physical attachment.  Tethers, magnetic or static boots can keep this from happening.
Microgravity Protection negates all the afformentioned effects but not those following.
Characters who spend at least a week in Microgravity must make Fortitude save (DC 20 + 2 per week in microgravity) or take 1d3 Fitness damage.  Characters who spend 4 hours a day excercising or in a centrifuge need not make these saves.

Gravity Hazard I (1.5-2g): Characters must make a Fortitude save (DC 16+2 per day without relief) every day or take 1d6 stress damage and become sickened.  Characters may not lose sickened or recover stress or vitality until they have relief.  Characters who pass 3 successive saves gain Gravity Protection I until the end of the adventure.
Gravity Protection I negates this hazard.  Examples: Acclimation is the only treatment, though higher level Protections work as well.

Gravity Hazard II (2-2.5g): Characters must make a Fortitude save (DC 16+2 per hour without relief) every hour or take 2d6 stress damage and become sickened
Gravity Protection II negates this hazard.  Examples: Canes, walkers, limb supports.

Gravity Hazard III (2.5-3.5g): Characters must make a Fortitude save (DC 16+2 per 15 minute period without relief) every 15 minutes or take 3d6 stress damage and become sickened
Gravity Protection III negates this hazard.  Examples: Pressure suits, light exoskeletons.

Gravity Hazard IV (3.5-5g): Characters must make a Fortitude save (DC 16+2 per minute period without relief) on exposure and every minute or take 4d6 stress damage, become sickened.  Characters who fail two saves become unconscious.
Gravity Protection IV negates this hazard.  Examples: Pressurized Liquid suits, hardsuits with gravity support.

Higher Gravity:  Over 5g will render an unprotected character unconscious.  Gravity Protection IV will allow short periods of higher G force to be negated (hours at 6g, 15 minutes at 7, 1 minute at 8, one round at 9g).  In addition, orientation matters.  The above assumes characters are standing up.  G forces oriented feet to head or "eyeballs out" (forward) allow brief exposure to 12g without losing consciousness and characters could be considered to have Gravity Protection II against them in a proper gravity couch.  Eyeballs in (aka from front to back) has been survived at 22g and should be considered to give characters Gravity protection III if they are strapped into a suitable gravity couch.  All of this is optional and none will negate crash damage.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »

Ooze should be 2 pts, but try this version on for size (Many-Armed and Many Legged should be left as non-level-restricted species feats for them)

Type: Medium Ooze (1x1, Reach 1). Your Health is equal to your Fitness. Your are considered 1 category larger when resisting Bull Rush, Disarm, Grapple, and Trip actions, and up to 2 categories smaller when squeezing into or through confined spaces. You may hold a number of readied items up to 3 + your Precision modifier (minimum 1) although this does not grant you any extra attacks, and may only use armour specifically designed for your type. You don't age but must eat, sleep, and breathe. Additionally, you may spend an action die to handle an item as a free action or remove a critical injury. [3.0]
   Attributes: +2 Fitness, -2 Grace [1.0]
   Base Speed: 30 ft [0.0]
   Bloodhound: Your base scent range is equal to your Wisdom score × 10 ft. and, you gain a +6 bonus with Tracking checks. [2.0]
   Damage Resistance: You gain Damage Resistance equal to your starting Action Dice against Sneak Attack damage and the keen quality. [1.5]
   Limited Proficiencies: You begin with play with 2 fewer weapon proficiencies (minimum 0). [-0.5]

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 04:02:21 PM »

I think I'd like to cut the limb verbiage from Ooze so I can use the ooze type for Sathar, the slimy fluid filled worms that are the setting's big bad.  They had a player race offshoot so this isn't wasted work.  Here's what I currently think for a 1 pt ooze type:

Ooze (+2xp/+1 design point): Your body is flexible and compressible.  You are considered one size larger for resisting Bullrushes and Trips and may be considered one size larger or two sizes smaller as you wish for purposes of passing through confined places.  Oozes eat, drink, breathe, and age.

I've been thinking of cutting down Ooze for a while now, especially since what I consider to be fairly archtype ooze examples don't exhibit the extra arms business that's in the type.  This version looks great, and pretty versatile for race building, too.

Psuedopodia is essentially the Many Arm feat so I think 3 is reasonable there.

Totally agree.

Reabsorption looks better then 0.5 points to me, but I wouldn't necessarily argue against it's costing too strongly (my gut says 1 point).

1 point might be reasonable.  I'd have to add a disadvantage to keep them balanced.  It is only 2 types of critical injury and
out of combat only.  I have to think on this.  More opinions would be helpful.

This would be the balancing disadvantage:
[-0.5] Bland appearance: Your species is a textured grey bag with little variation and no concept of physical attractiveness.  Your appearance bonus decreases by 2.

I really like this disadvantage either way, but I'm also pretty open to Reabsorption's cost being either 1 or 0.5.  As you said, it's fairly limited.  If you wanted to bump it up to a solid 1pt advanage and include Bland Appearance anyway, consider making them also immune to Bleeding (seems similar and fitting to me).

I took the costs from my species feat creation document.  I could knock them down to Sup Climb I with no jump and remove the brittle bones though.  Climber/Jumper aren't much good in built up areas but if you're the exploration type they might be.

I think that several qualities are cheaper in feats then they are in origins.  I can't back that up with more then one or two examples though, so I'm mostly going of a feel for things of roughly equal power / utility.  I really don't think that it's a big deal though - especially seeing that being good at climbing and jumping isn't that great in more technologically advanced settings (climbing lines, mechanical assistance, jetpacks etc).  Plus neither are any real use in zero or micro gravity - so it could easily be justified as setting dependant price changes.  Kinda like how inability to use anything electrical is a 0 built point feature for an origin in classic fantasy, but a pretty big penalty in a modern day spy setting.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 05:48:17 PM »

Species 1.1  Comments?

Mr Anderson: Thanks for the comment.  I went with what I have here because I think Bloodhound is of limited utility (although it may end up in a species feat), Sneak Attack is on my list to overhaul, and I really like separating out the limbs from ooze.

Knower of Many Scents
Requirements: Dralasite species
Benefits: Your base scent range becomes 10 ft * your awareness score and you gain a +6 to Tracking checks.  Also, you may
identify chemicals and people you know by smell with a successful Knowledge check up to an hour after their passing.

Hmm?

Dralasite

[1.0] Medium Ooze, Reach 1
[0.0] Base Speed 30
[1.0] +2 Fitness, -2 Grace
[3.0] Psuedopodia: You can form limbs out of your mass.  You may form 2 walking limbs and a number of grasping limbs equal to your Grace modifier(minimum 0) +2.  Forming or absorbing a limb takes one minute.  While you have at least one free grasping limb, you may make a free Handle Item action each round. If you have at least 2 limbs free, you gain a +1 with  grapple checks.
[1.0] Reabsorption: If you suffer a critical injury to a limb, you may absorb and reform that limb to rid yourself of the injury.
[0.5] Sterner Stuff: The keen value of attacks against you decreases by 4.
[1.0] Thick Hide 2: You are considered to be wearing partial armor with a DR of 2.

Vrusk

[1.0] Base Speed 40
[1.0] +2 Precision, -2 Guile
[1.0] Agile Defense: Your Defense rises by 1.
[1.0] Enlightened Investigate: Your kind have dealt with corporate intrigue for thousands of years, giving you unparalleled ability to ferret out secrets. Your maximum ranks increase to level +5.
[2.0] Heat Protection II: Your exoskeleton controls moisture loss and allows you to survive heat that would kill others.  You ignore Heat Exposure I and II and reduce Heat Exposure III to Heat Exposure I.
[1.0] Improved Stability: 8 legs give you stability.  You are considered one size larger for defending against Bull Rush and Trip attempts as well as carrying capacity and trample attacks as long as you are standing on a solid surface.

Yazarian

[1.0] Base Speed 40
[3.0] +2 Determination, +2 Grace, -2 Fitness
[0.5] Catfall: You take one less die of falling damage.
[1.0] Gliding: You may glide up to 4 squares for every square above ground level you are.  This is effectively Flight 40 with a distance limit.  You must be at least 10 foot off the ground to use this ability.
[-0.5] Light Sensitive: You take 20 points of flash damage each time entering a more brightly lit area.
[1.0] Natural Attack I: Claws
[1.0] Superior Climber I:  With a successful climb check you move three times the distance.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 06:46:58 PM »

Species 1.1  Comments?

Mr Anderson: Thanks for the comment.  I went with what I have here because I think Bloodhound is of limited utility (although it may end up in a species feat), Sneak Attack is on my list to overhaul, and I really like separating out the limbs from ooze.

I agreee, Bloodhound is rather overpriced for it's utility; I really only rate it as a 1 though I suppose you could squint it in at 1.5. However, as I read the species it's a huge component of their sensorum with a utility beyond standard norms, so they really should have it.

Knower of Many Scents
Requirements: Dralasite species
Benefits: Your base scent range becomes 10 ft * your awareness score and you gain a +6 to Tracking checks.  Also, you may
identify chemicals and people you know by smell with a successful Knowledge check up to an hour after their passing.

Hmm?

It doesn't really appeal I'm afraid. Mostly for the reasons listed above but especially as I think 'people you know by smell' is really nothing more than a simple circumstance bonus to a standard tracking check and the sort of basic 101 stuff anyone who picks up a scent oriented species rightfully expects them to be capable of out of the gate.
Dralasite

It might also be worth considering

·   [0.0] Matched Set: You gain a +4 bonus when attempting to disguise yourself as another [this species/this talent].

Leaving aside that I strongly disagree with your approach to oozes, Precision makes far more sense than Grace as the defining attribute for limb generation: Nothing about impress, acting or acrobatics suggests that sort of connection, whereas Profession's operate check does (alternatively, Determination's key skill of Focus suggest that it might also be a viable choice of defining attribute)

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: