Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 07:32:08 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [A New Pie] High Roller - The NEW Hawtness
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [A New Pie] High Roller - The NEW Hawtness  (Read 2659 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 05:23:29 PM »

The whole point of RPGs is to create a scenario for the players to win.

Aw, hell no. That's what masturbation is for, and as GM I'm not there to be the hand that does it. My scenarios may have tracks, but players have to actually put in some effort to get the cart to not sail off into the abyss on the curves Smiley.

The big problem is that players tend to indulge in that special brand of brinksmanship where they only way they lose is if their characters die - and GMs are reluctant to kill them. That never surrender shit gets mind bogglingly tedious after a few decades Roll Eyes. I'll get to writing out the Big Damn heroes stuff because the whole point of a social contract that says "As GM I'm not going to kill you" is not to protect player's (alter-)egos, its to make it clear that not only can you fail, some days you WILL fail and you'll have to live with the consequences.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:35:45 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 03:15:54 AM »

If I may weigh in, I think a big part of GMing is making the losses and failures feel as important as victories. Communicate! It's easy to get into brinksmanship where your players and you try to screw each other over mechanically, and to me killing an NPC - or a PC - that has had much effort put into building his stats and character out of that spiteful spirit is like kicking over a sandcastle. Communicate! Talk to your player about what this failure or defeat could mean for the character. Make it so that failure makes the PC's plan more interesting instead of completely screwing it up. Do not nullify the player's achievements - and make sure you're on the same page as the players on what that means. Communicate! The best damn rules in the world will not save you if you and your players are antagonists. Competitive spirit is fine, but at the end of the day you're all cooperating in telling a story. Communicate!

Communicate.
Communicate.
And then communicate some more.

(That said, I am incredibly liberal with action die refreshes because in my experience it discourages hoarding behavior, and any character options that give extra dice are easier to parse as just giving an edge in sustained engagements where action dice fly left and right. I haven't had a player heavily invested in Chance Feats so far, though.)
Gentry