Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 06:39:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Where do the Allomancy demographics numbers come from? + Koloss Control
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where do the Allomancy demographics numbers come from? + Koloss Control  (Read 188 times)
cometaryorbit
Recruit

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2014, 09:41:27 PM »

Are these from the books or annotations? I always got the feeling from the books that way more than 1% of Final Empire nobles were Allomancers - Straff Venture had a bunch of Allomancer children, for example, and there's several references like that that seem to suggest noble families were pretty much expected to have Allomancers

EDIT: Also, controlling Koloss. Is this scaled down for balance reasons? By the rules, you can only control a comparatively small number of Koloss, and only for a brief time - but in the books, Vin and Elend control thousands of koloss essentially indefinitely (until Ruin actively intervenes anyway).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:49:05 AM by cometaryorbit » Logged
Gargoyle
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:18:10 PM »

Are these from the books or annotations? I always got the feeling from the books that way more than 1% of Final Empire nobles were Allomancers - Straff Venture had a bunch of Allomancer children, for example, and there's several references like that that seem to suggest noble families were pretty much expected to have Allomancers
Realize that the Noble families were much bigger than the head (Lord's) family. Hastings, for example, would be composed of the part that lives in the city, as well as their cousins and other relatives, and pretty much anyone who marries in or joins another way. Also recall that not all of the Nobility were even members of functioning houses and would often work for other houses. Skaa couldn't, for example, be Hazekillers, or any sort of control position. Apparently, they could be soldiers (i.e. Ham) but I expect this was somewhat unusual. TLR would probably not want armed Skaa.
Outis
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 06:24:51 AM »

Recall also that not all Noble families as described as equal. The Inquisitors notice that Vin's strength as a Mistborn implies an unusually pure noble line, and Straff's experiments with his mistresses resulted in more Mistings than typical, and he at least attributes his success to his powerful bloodline. Hardly conclusive, but compelling.

Recall that allomantic strength, like political strength or economic strength, is one scale by which Houses are measured, so it's not too great a stretch to guess that most of the Houses we've seen capable of setting multiple Tineye watchmen or have Coinshot/Thug attack squads were simply the ones with greater-than-average Allomantic strength.
cometaryorbit
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 11:32:02 PM »

Realize that the Noble families were much bigger than the head (Lord's) family. Hastings, for example, would be composed of the part that lives in the city, as well as their cousins and other relatives, and pretty much anyone who marries in or joins another way. Also recall that not all of the Nobility were even members of functioning houses and would often work for other houses.

I agree, but I thought that (major nobility vs minor ones who actually have to work etc.) was more about economy than Allomantic bloodlines.

If the major nobility were stronger Allomantically, everything makes sense, but I'd have figured the Allomancy genes would have been pretty evenly distributed among the nobility after 1000 years.

Skaa couldn't, for example, be Hazekillers, or any sort of control position. Apparently, they could be soldiers (i.e. Ham) but I expect this was somewhat unusual. TLR would probably not want armed Skaa.

Goradel was a skaa who joined the military under TLR too; I didn't get the impression that it was unusual for common soldiers. It seemed to me that it was the only way (barring being a criminal like the main characters) they could get out of much of the misery of being a skaa laborer, in exchange for being agents of the oppression of the Final Empire.
Herowannabe
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:41:36 PM »

EDIT: Also, controlling Koloss. Is this scaled down for balance reasons? By the rules, you can only control a comparatively small number of Koloss, and only for a brief time - but in the books, Vin and Elend control thousands of koloss essentially indefinitely (until Ruin actively intervenes anyway).

I wondered about this, too, but remember that Ruin wanted Elend and Vin to THINK that they were controlling the Koloss. I attribute their controlling massive Koloss armies for indefinite amounts of time to that. If Ruin hadn't allowed them to control the Koloss they would have had a much harder time of it.

If you really want to have fun as a narrator, let your players get control of a handful of Koloss, and then let them keep control of the Koloss long after time should have run out. Don't explain why.  Evil

Skaa couldn't, for example, be Hazekillers, or any sort of control position. Apparently, they could be soldiers (i.e. Ham) but I expect this was somewhat unusual. TLR would probably not want armed Skaa.

Goradel was a skaa who joined the military under TLR too; I didn't get the impression that it was unusual for common soldiers. It seemed to me that it was the only way (barring being a criminal like the main characters) they could get out of much of the misery of being a skaa laborer, in exchange for being agents of the oppression of the Final Empire.

This is true. Clubs was a Skaa soldier, too, and became a Captain or other some such rank I believe. My impression is that most, if not all, of the imperial army is made up of skaa- aside from officers. Lowbles tend to fill safer and easier positions, such as house guards. That's not canon, just my impression.

cometaryorbit
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:35:22 PM »

I wondered about this, too, but remember that Ruin wanted Elend and Vin to THINK that they were controlling the Koloss. I attribute their controlling massive Koloss armies for indefinite amounts of time to that. If Ruin hadn't allowed them to control the Koloss they would have had a much harder time of it.

Hmm, maybe.

I took that as "Ruin could have taken control of them away from Vin and Elend anytime but held off on actually doing so" not "Ruin was actually controlling them all along and just commanding them to do what Vin and Elend wanted", but maybe.

He can certainly be subtle with the writing changes and stuff, but it seems like actual mental contact with Ruin is mostly "death death kill kill" sort of impressions, so I'm not entirely sure he would be capable of keeping the koloss 'peaceful', but...
Outis
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »

If the major nobility were stronger Allomantically, everything makes sense, but I'd have figured the Allomancy genes would have been pretty evenly distributed among the nobility after 1000 years.

Cett Ashweather mentions that his own bloodline is so weak, it rarely throws up an allomancer. Straff Venture thinks to himself that his pure bloodlines are one reason that so many of his by-blows are allomancers, and Kor the Inquisitor mentions that Vin's father's pure bloodlines are why she's such a powerful Mistborn.
cometaryorbit
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »

Cett Ashweather mentions that his own bloodline is so weak, it rarely throws up an allomancer. Straff Venture thinks to himself that his pure bloodlines are one reason that so many of his by-blows are allomancers, and Kor the Inquisitor mentions that Vin's father's pure bloodlines are why she's such a powerful Mistborn.

Ah, OK, that explains it then.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: