Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 02:08:39 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Question about the Monk in AC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about the Monk in AC  (Read 906 times)
Pooka
Recruit

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:52:18 PM »

Specifically, the Vow of Purity requires that coin in hand and stake must be 0s by the end of the adventure.

If he violates this, he loses the Vow's bonus to wisdom...until the end of the adventure.

Wait.  What?
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:59:32 PM »

That's not the entirety of the vow.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Pooka
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »

I know that.  I'm asking how that part of the vow functions.  If he violates that part of the vow, when, if ever, does he lose the wisdom bonus?
Illithar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 12:19:04 AM »

Hmm... interesting. This is how I would play it where I running a game with the Monk

1. At the end of each adventure the Monk must give up all of their coin, it goes to charity or just drops it on the ground.

2. If the Monk opts not to, for whatever reason, they lose their Wisdom bonus in the following adventure.

OR you can just not give the player any choice and all of the money disappears just prior to the end of each adventure, POOF! gone. Sort of like having excess Prizes, but for monies.

Either way, that is kind of interesting, hadn't noticed until now.

I enjoy four things: Giant Robots, Giant Monsters, Zombies, and Steampunk. But, just because something contains one or a combination of those doesn't mean I will like it.
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 01:41:38 AM »

2. If the Monk opts not to, for whatever reason, they lose their Wisdom bonus in the following adventure.

I concur with this.
Dimirag
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »

But thats means that the Monk could have 1000Gp and spend it with no problem, and at the end of the adventure being at 0gp and suffer no ill effect...

I would make that if the monk during the adventure opts to gain some money then he looses the Wis bonus until the end of the adventure, on the following adventure if the monks opts to still keep the money he will suffer again the loss of the Wis bonus

Sorry for any spelling/text errors, I'm not a native English speaker
Illithar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 11:28:41 AM »

But thats means that the Monk could have 1000Gp and spend it with no problem, and at the end of the adventure being at 0gp and suffer no ill effect...

I would make that if the monk during the adventure opts to gain some money then he looses the Wis bonus until the end of the adventure, on the following adventure if the monks opts to still keep the money he will suffer again the loss of the Wis bonus

True, but that seems a little harsh, running with the same logic, if the monk even picks up a stray silver piece off the ground, only to give it up to the local orphanage later, he would lose his Wisdom then as well.

Keep in mind the Monk can't carry any more than 50sp in gear at once anyway, and may not keep Magic Items or Holdings as Prizes. I think the point of the last line is the Monk can't save their money. They can carry the raw coin if they want but they have to give it up before the adventure ends. Either giving it to their companions for their uses, donating it to someone, etc.

I enjoy four things: Giant Robots, Giant Monsters, Zombies, and Steampunk. But, just because something contains one or a combination of those doesn't mean I will like it.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

Your game room, kid-friendly again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:24:30 AM »

The idea is that once the trigger is tripped, the whammy sticks with the character for good - unless he gets back in line with the Powers that Be. Given the trigger, this will probably happen at the end of adventures, or between them, in many campaigns, so the character would enter the next adventure with the whammy still intact. He'd have to work it off from there, which would take at least another full adventure thereafter.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 08:52:30 AM »

The idea is that once the trigger is tripped, the whammy sticks with the character for good - unless he gets back in line with the Powers that Be. Given the trigger, this will probably happen at the end of adventures, or between them, in many campaigns, so the character would enter the next adventure with the whammy still intact. He'd have to work it off from there, which would take at least another full adventure thereafter.

So.. cheat for one adventure and get pwned the next adventure ...or two.  *writes this down*
pawsplay