Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 06:29:40 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA!  (Read 1009 times)
Leeham
Recruit

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »

BATMAN!

Ok, so one of my long time players is back from his little hiatus, and is joining in our Fantasy Craft campaign in progress. To ease his insertion, I've volunteered to make his character for him, and he decided he wants to play as "Silver-age Batman". Now I'm all up for this, but I have no idea where to start. Any thoughts? Oh, and everyone's level 5 at the minute, if that helps.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 11:30:53 AM »

A puglistic detective, then.

I'd suggest looking here for a bit of inspiration: Aiko is pretty much what you're looking for in that sense, even though a good half of her is homebrew: her Origin, her alignment, the Path of Truth, and the Sweeper class
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:32:39 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Barbacobra
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 11:32:02 AM »

There are a number of human talents you could choose that would work: Methodical, Adaptable, Single-Minded and Savvy. Notice, Athletics, Acrobatics, Intimidate, Investigate, Search, Sneak and Resolve would be the skills I'd focus on (maybe he should get a penalty for Tactics if you stat him up as Adam West). Basic Skill Mastery Investigator, Athlete and Robber all work well too. Martial Arts and Master's Art seem to be a natural fit, and Hurled Basics basics with a Boomerang.

You could build him with just about any of the classes, but Sage, Burglar or Martial Artist (or some combination thereof) might be my choice.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »

Consider the Emisssary.  "A grizzled watchman shifting seamlessly between polite society and the criminal underworld."

You won't have as much of the brawling abilities of something like a Martial Artist, but being a master detective who can have someone detained (level 6 ability) and has a network of friends to call on for information (Oracle, the various Bat-folk).  Not the worst way to go about it.
Leeham
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »

I had thought the Emissary would be a good fit, and I think Methodical would be a great fit too.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »

Assassin also fits well; you could RP the accelerated Ambush checks and the Heartseeker ability as being prepped for taking on key foes.

Martial Artist (for obvious reasons) or Burglar (good sneaking, acrobatics, and bonus covert feats, e.g. the Misdirection and/or the Ghost line) might also work pretty well.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »

Assassin is 9/10 of the way to Batman, though you'll need to use Origin skills to fill in a couple of class skill holes (like Acrobatics).

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »

The problem/perk of deciding how to model The Bat is deciding which version you are working with.  I know that you stated Silver Age; however, I can never keep them all straight.  The Batman in my head is a conglomeration of all the *awesome/cool* heaped on the character for many years in many different media.

Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:27:54 PM »

Batman makes a lot more sense if you consider most of his opposition to be minions (some mooks, even) and Robin a Personal Lieutenant.

Then you may get a character who you can build without 50 classes.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 12:53:19 AM »

For these kinds of heroes, I also try to focus on a single (somewhat contained) arc.  So you build "Batman from The Killing Joke" or "Batman from Dark Knight Returns" or what have you.  That way you have a far smaller list of attributes and feats to cover then you do for a guy with 1000 issues under his belt (even Silver Age covers a huge number of issues, writers and story arcs - all with somewhat varied attributes and abilities).

Normally that's for something like Mutants and Masterminds, but the same should apply for FC.
snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »

Strictly Silver Age Batman would be the Bat of the 1960s TV Series and Movie.

Goofy, slightly overweight, psycadelic and lots of sound effects when punching villians : POW, SOCK, ZOWIE !!!.  More of a Detective/Scientist (Keeper) in those days.  

Lots of Gear too: Batarangs, Batbike, Bat Computers. Lots of Holy Moleys from Personal Lieutenant Boy Wonder too.

Silver Age Bat merges into Bronze Age Bat circa 1969 when Bruce Wayne moved from Wayne Manor and became move the Urban Avenger type he is today. Lots of Stealth and Karate/Judo moves (definitely Martist Artist in there somewhere), fights with whole armies of goons, Ras Al Ghul first appears, Joker and Scarecrow became more sinister back then.

Depends on how your Player wants to play the Bat i guess  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 08:29:04 AM by snake » Logged

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 09:51:41 PM »

I was building the Nolan Batman (specifically, Batman Begins) and used a non-official class (http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6690.msg119048#msg119048) but you could do worse than to start off with single-minded. That gives you the ability to Tire up to 3 opponents at the same time.  That'll give you some mook socking cred even if you choose a non combative class.  TV Batman probably has some chance feats to mess up his opponents with.  And I'll say paths + narrative control make a pretty good Bat Utility Belt.
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »

Batman sold me on Crafty Games. Someone was discussing how to build on on the WoTC boards, lots of different classes and feats and around level 15 he did seem a bit like The Batman. I opened SC 2.0 and saw Orphaned, Playboy, Sleuth. I was sold. I did convert some of the SC origins of that helps.

Orphaned
+2 -2 Any                        (1.5)
Edged Proficiency: You gain the Edged Weapon Proficiency.    (1)
Bow Proficiency: You gain the Bow Weapon Proficiency.       (1)
Grace Under Pressure: You gain a +2 bonus with any roll you   (2)
boost with an action die.
Inquisitive Mind: You gain 2 additional interests.          (1)
Lean Season: You require only 1 common meal per day.       (.5)

Playboy Dandy
You believe that the party will last as long as the money does
and for you, it seems like the money will never run out.
Bonus Feat: Personal Lieutenant
Beguiling: When you successfully Taunt a character, you may
decline the standard result to have your target become fixated
on you for 1d6 rounds. Special characters and villains may
spend 1 action die to cancel this effect and become immune
to this ability for the rest of the scene. If you gain this benefit
from multiple sources, you may also damage the target once
without interrupting his fixation (you may do this only once,
no matter how many times you gain the benefit).
Charming: Once per session you may improve the disposition of one non-adversary NPC
by 5.
Flashy: Your Panache rises by 2.
Origin Skill: You gain one additional Origin skill.

The Emissary is the FC version of the Sleuth, worth checking out. I don't think it's Silver Age Batman (it might not even be Batman) but I like the idea of the Mist Dance as Batman. Quick Draw to switch between boomerangs, chakrams, spell pouch, and flash bombs. Jumping in and out the shadows, and summoning elemental of darkness in the forms of swarms of bats.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: