Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 01:57:50 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game and other Settings (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mistborn Adventure Game and other Settings (Avatar: The Last Airbender)  (Read 3356 times)
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 07:33:58 PM »

I agree that for now we stick to the source material as best possible.  Anything to say on my base bending stats.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 07:38:12 PM »

See my previous post for stuff.  And where did that info come from?

From the material Nick sent out to the press.

Do a search for avatar family tree.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 07:57:15 PM »

If we're just going to make up abilities, why don't we talk about shadowbending and choclate chip cookie dough bending too? Psychis bloodbending without a full moon is a power thing. Using fire to heal goes against the premise of the art. We saw what focused chi and firebending gets you: Combustion Man.

To be clear, I'm suggesting tht any type of bending might have uses to resore the body' balance. We see water bending used to repair soft tissue. IF there we were to see a healing art amongst other types of beinding, I would expect it to repair/undo/cure different facets of the target's well-being, not steal water's. "Keep them warm" is one of the most basic steps in first aid. The heat of a fever is the body's way of killing off infections. Cauterizing wounds staunches bleeding. Fire sterilizes surgical implements. It is part of medicine, even if there is no particually mystic application shown.

If you are intent on a purist game were the exact dimensions of power are there on the screen, then sure, players who have watched the show know exactly what's what and were the GM will and won't go. All good. On the other hand the fire nation is shown as having lost touch with the origins and full range of bending abilities with the anhilation of the dragons, and of all the bending types they may have the most canonical wiggle room.

Cookie-bending is clearly a fire art - like all baked goods. If we're NOT going to make up things why even pick up dice? The shows are the limit of the universe... until you decide to go beyond the scope of the camera. Everything we do in making a static tale into a playable environment is extrapolation. Fire healing isn't a good candidate for clinics on every street corner - that directly contradicts what we see. But a single fire healer in a remote location? Or a player character with a quirky and misunderstood gift? Plot hook waiting to happen.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »

And for the record "Shadow Bending" as a primative yang, to energy bending's primordial yang would be awesome. The art that does notiign, but scares the crap out of you while it does it. That's not just an adventure- that's a whole campaign in a box right there Grin.

But sure, lets get back to the faithful conversion work first. Other healing, other senses, other mobility forms... sidebar for later.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 08:27:05 PM »

We see water bending healing lots of stuff, not just soft tissue damage. Korra heals Brolin's broken or dislocated shoulder in The Spirit of Competition. Katara heals poisoning and cancers in The Painted Lady. She couldn't use healing in The Blue Spirit so that's not proof it can't heal colds or flus.. She does, with an item, heal electrocution though.

See: http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Healing

And cookiedoughbending and shadowbending are 400 foot tall purple platypus bears with pink horns and silver wings.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:33:36 PM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »

Any thoughts on the base mechanics I posted about a page ago.  ONce that's done we can start on stunts for each and work our way through into a full system.  Healing will be one of those stunts, if not half a dozen. 
Albertorius
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 02:41:56 AM »

Basic Earth bending
Lift to a certain weight-100 lb's of earth.
Throw up to three range? +2 damage.

Basic Waterbending
Turn up to three cubic feet of water to ice.
Throw up to two range- +2 Damage
Lift up to 50 lbs of water.
Swim Speed of up to three range.

Basic Airbending
Increase move range by +1
Throw up to 3 range +1 damage
+1 defense dice

Basic Fire-Bending
Create Fire
3 range +2 damage
Well, for starters all those +2 to ranged damage with basic bending seem off to me. I wha thinking that it hould be more or less the same that with coinshotters: bending would allow you to make ranged attacks, not provide bonuses.

I think these would be perfect as references for things that can and can't be done with bending:

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Waterbending
http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Firebending
http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Airbending
http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Earthbending

I'm leaving out energybending right now, both because it is avatar-only (and thus of more limited use in-game) and because is much less well known.

Also, I was thinking about one thing:What would be best way to reflect bending and non-bending combat in this conversion? As I see it, there are two possibilities:

- Substitute Bending rank for Attribute.
- Add Bending rank to Attribute.

I'm currently leaning towards the second option because that way we could state badass-normals the same way: with a "bending" rank for their special schtick, and keep it balanced with the benders (and unbalanced with the extras, but hey).
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 06:00:14 AM »

We see water bending healing lots of stuff, not just soft tissue damage. Korra heals Brolin's broken or dislocated shoulder in The Spirit of Competition. Katara heals poisoning and cancers in The Painted Lady. She couldn't use healing in The Blue Spirit so that's not proof it can't heal colds or flus.. She does, with an item, heal electrocution though.

See: http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Healing

Cool. Handy site. More useful than my flawed memmory.

Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »

The damage things are just weapon values for the element.  For instance-A coin is weapon +1.  A Bag of coins is Weapon +2.  I felt that earth and fire should do the most damage.  Most extra things done with bending,-Earth armor, air scooter, etc should be stunts.  This is just the base level to keep the bending from overpowering mistings.(IE I'm trying to keep things in balance with the game as is.)
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 09:33:46 AM »

Due to lack of disagreement I'm moving forwards.

Quick changes.  Making water have a 100 lb weight limit.  That's 12 gallons of water which seems better than 6.

Airbenders also can move vertically with their movement but not levitate.

Earthbenders have range 2 not 3.

All Benders have reaction rolls against elements they can control.
Stunts

Water
Enhanced lifting. +150 lbs.. Can be taken multiple times.(note that if there is something on that then the weight is part of this limit.  250 lbs allows a waterbender to psuedo fly.  

Enhanced Range. Gives +1 range.

Compression.  Add +1 damage to all waterbending attacks.

Water armor. Grants 2 defense dice while bending.  Requires at least 20 lbs of water.

Plant bending
Allows North and south water tribe Benders to manipulate water within plants.  Weight limits apply.

Ice bending.
Allows Foggy swamp waterbenders to freeze water into ice.  Up to three cubic feet.

Enhanced freezing.  Can freeze up to six cubic feet.

Enhanced swimming.  Add 1 to swim speed.
Multiple targets
As seen in Steel.

Healing
Allows a waterbender to remove 1 physical damage.  A waterbender may spend a short breather to heal a serious burden.

Advanced healing.

Allows a waterbender to remove 2 physical damage.  A waterbender may spend a short breather to move a grave burden to serious.  They may spend a long breather to heal a Grave burden completely.

Master Healer

Allows a waterbender to heal 3 physical damage.  A waterbender may spend a long breather to move a mortal burden to a grave burden.

Of note.  No injury(result of 1 attack) may be healed more than once.  No burden may be healed more than once.

Blood bending- prereqs- Waterbending level 7.  During the full moon a Blood bender may control water within a human body forcing that person into action.  All actions taken under the influence of bloodbending are done at -2 dice from the targets initial state.

Master Bloodbending-  prereqs- Waterbending level 9.  Bloodbending no longer requires the full moon.

Bloodbending is resisted by willpower or waterbending, whichever is higher.

Earth stunts.

Enhanced lifting
See above

Enhanced range
See above

Hard Rocks
+1 damage

Multiple targets
As seen in Steel.

Earth armor
Armor 1 while bending.  Requires at least twenty pounds of rock.  Can be taken multiple times.

Plow Sprint
+1 move speed.  Can be taken up to twice.

Tremor Sense
The character can perceive everything for fifty feet around them that is touching earth.  This ties to wits for purposes of perception tests.

Tunneling
The character may move beneath the earth as they would above it.

Metal Bending
Prereq-Earth at level 7
The character may bend metal as they would earth.  The earth armor stunt provides an extra +1 armor when the armor is made of metal.

Fire Stunts

Enhanced range.
See above

Blue Flames
+1 damage.

Multiple Targets
As seen in steel.

Fire Shield
+2 defense dice.

Explosion
Your bending attacks can strike everything within 1 range increment of the target.(pairs well with multiple targets for huge armies but might just be multiple targets...)

Fire Jets
Allows sustained flight via firebending.  Follows the same rules (roughly) as Steel pushing.

Flamewalk
+1 speed.

Crippling burns.
When your attacks injure an opponent they count as 1 burden level higher than they normally would.

Lightning Bending
Requires firebending level 7
All firebending attacks do +1 damage and gain a free nudge.

Lightning redirection.
When hit by a lightning attack the firebender may make a wits roll against the opponents Firebending to send the attack at a different target with their own firebending roll.
This is a reaction roll.

Air

Enhanced Range. 
See above.

Air Bullets
+1 damage

Wind Shield
+2 defense dice.

Air Scooter
+2 movement

Wind lift
An airbender may move objects of any type around Up to 100 lbs.  This stunt may be taken up to 3 times.

Glider Speed.
An airbender may fly up to 75 miles per hour with a glider instead of 35.  They get an additional +2 to dodge while gliding instead of the original + 1.( Note that gliders are a prop worth 2 slots)

Channel the wind.
Airbenders gain a +1 Circumstance dice on all airbending rolls in windy conditions.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:22:49 PM by Aminar » Logged
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 09:26:37 PM »

Next step.  Non-Bending stunts.

These stunts are available to all characters, nonbenders or otherwise.

The first level costs the same as snapping(10)
Weapons Mastery.  Cost 10.  Gain -Name of weapon here- at rank 4.(I'm debating how to balance this with higher physique scores...  Perhaps have it work like Pewter...  I think that might be a little OP, given the lack of a cost in metals and the like.

Stunts
Weapon Damage +1
Weapon Defense +1 Defense Dice  Can be taken twice.
Polearm Vault-Can use polearms to gain +1 movement and +1 on physique rolls to jump.
Multishot.  Multitarget stunt as seen in steel for ranged weapons.
Armor piercing attacks. Attacks ignore 2 damage reduction.
Chi Blocking-(Fist weapons only)  Any attack that causes a burden removes the burdens value from the affected characters bending rolls.  All burdens should disable limbs.
Greater Chi Blocking-The negatives to bending rolls are doubled.
Greater Weapon Defense.  The character may forgoe Weapon Defenses extra defense dice for a single reaction roll per round using their weapon rating.
Long Range-Increase range of ranged weapon attacks.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »

One potential hiccup to keep in mind, if only to say: "Yeah, he breaks the rules" is that Zuko is both an decent firebender and a master swordsman.

Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »

That was why I said the weaponmaster path is available to benders.  He spent 10 on getting dual swords 4 and and enhanced that with his bending.  He's taken some stunts from both.
Albertorius
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 01:54:27 PM »

Thank you for all the ideas Smiley

I've gotten a bit (a lot) sidetracked these last day and I haven't been able to follow the topic, but I see some very good ideas.

And now that I have my book, I'll be able to read the rules more thorougly to understand them better Cheesy
ReaderAt2046
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »

I had a GM actually do this for us. Attributes and Standings worked the same way as in regular MAG, but there was also a "Bending" stat that covered most of your elemental bending. Strong Powers gave you 6 Bending in the element of your choice(No being the Avatar), Medium Powers gave you 4 bending, and Weak Powers gave you either 2 Bending or no bending and the two free Traits (your choice).

Stunts were a lot more important in this game, as they allowed you bending tricks that you didn't otherwise have, or else greater bending abilities. For example, two stunts my Strong Firebender picked up were "The Flame Shall Not Hurt Me" (basically a total fire immunity, which allowed me to set myself on fire at will and not be hurt) and Greater Flames (gave me +1 base damage on Firebending attacks, also a pre-req for Azure Fire, which would have given me another +1 but I didn't get around to taking it). Or for another example, the Waterbender had the Healing stunt to allow him to use waterbending's healing specialty.

You could also use Stunts for other abilities. For example, another player (with no starting Powers) took the Chi-blocking Stunt to use that art (in this system, when you chi-block someone you decrease their bending (temporarily) instead of their Health).

Finally, the game included an option to "Snap" by spending a bunch of Advancements, and about 2/3 of the way through the chi-blocker I mentioned above unlocked Energybending that way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: