Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 01:56:34 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Why Did I Do This?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Did I Do This?  (Read 188 times)
Curator
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2014, 10:09:50 AM »

I was driven by some strange force to do this, and now all I have is confusion and a strange end result. The only rational choice is to share this with you all. Tie on your Nikes, fill up that water bottle, and meet me on the court.

SLAM JAMMER
Since the dawn of time, man has engaged in millions of forms of competition. None ever invented has been as demanding, powerful, artistic, or profound as the art of b-ball. Dunks, dribbles, jukes, and jumps are all core components of the highly-complex and technically-rich gauntlet popularized by ballers and hoopers. As one of the elite athletes who has proven themself season after season, you have earned yourself the illustrious title of Slam Jammer, and with it, the potentially-divine abilities that help you demonstrate to all who doubt this one simple fact: Ball is life.
Depending on the campaign, a Slam Jammer could be...
-A former champion framed for a tragic crime, called out of retirement to investigate this misuse of Slam power and clear his name.
-A true master at the height of his game, aiding an unlikely band of heroes in a mission to defeat a threat from beyond this world.
-A dastardly wizard, whose studies of the Great Spalding Orb have resulted in his impossible abilities and ball-powered immortality.
-A nameless performer who wanders the world, searching for courts to show off the greatest set of showman skills and inspire future Slam Jammers.
-A simple villager whose unwavering belief in his coach-- who in turn believes in him-- inspires him to pierce the nets of any who stand in his way on the path to glory.

(click to show/hide)

CLASS FEATURES
Requirements: Acrobatics 6+ ranks, Athletics 6+ ranks, Basic Skill Mastery (Athlete), Hurled Proficiency
Favored Attributes: Constitution, Strength, Dexterity
Class Skills: Athletics, Acrobatics, Bluff, Impress, Notice, Resolve
Continuity: At Level 1, choose 2 skills that are class skills for any of your other classes. These become Slam Jammer class skills for you.
Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 12 + Con modifier per level

Base Attack: High
Fort Save: Medium
Ref Save: High
Will Save: Low
Defense: Low
Initiative: Medium
Lifestyle: Medium
Legend: Medium

CLASS ABILITIES
Globetrotter Technique: You have traveled the world in search of the skill and knowledge necessary to set you above the other ballers into the legendary caste known as a Slam Jammer. As a result, you gain 5 additional tricks.
Come on and Slam: Combat and performance have no difference to you, and no matter the location, the ball is always in your court. Your hurled attacks with basketballs may be treated as melee attacks for the purpose of qualifying for tricks, feats, and other abilities specific to melee attacks.
Make It, Take It: One of the renowned rules of the Slammers and the Jammers is that the victor shall continue their streak. At Level 2, you gain the Cleave Basics feat. Also, whenever you make a successful hurled attack with a basketball you may spend an action die to immediately be armed with the basketball again.
Double Dribble: You've developed complex maneuvers to dupe the best and dazzle the rest. At Level 3, you may add 2 tricks to each basketball attack. You may apply unarmed, melee, and ranged tricks to these attacks, regardless of which type the attack is.
And Welcome to the Jam: Your mastery with a ball makes you as comfortable throwing it as you are dribbling. At Level 4, you may substitute your melee attack bonus and threat range when making hurled attacks with basketballs, and your basketball attacks ignore up to 1/2 cover.
Take It, Break It: When you get the ball rolling, there's no stopping your game. At Level 4, you gain the Cleave Mastery feat, and your first hurled basketball attack made each round gains the spread quality.
Chaos Dunk: With unquestionable, unrivaled domination of the b-ball game in your grasp, the Ancients have bestowed upon you the wisdom, power, and responsibility of the ultimate Slam Jam technique. At Level 5, when you activate a critical hit with a basketball, you may spend an additional action die to also produce the effects of an Earthquake spell. This effect is centered on you, and you are considered to be airbone for it's effects. This is considered a nonmagical effect and is not subject to spell defense. The DC for this effect is equal to 15 + the total number of Ranged, Melee, and Unarmed Combat feats you possess. This effect may only take place once per combat, no matter how many Slam Jammers are present.

HURLED WEAPONS
Thrown Weapons

Basketball: 1d4 subdual, threat:20, 20 ft. 5,  Finesse, Grip, T/1h, Soft 1, 5D, 1/2 lb., Ancient 5s
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:03:08 AM by Curator » Logged
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 10:13:52 AM »

Cheesy

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Curator
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 10:18:29 AM »

Cheesy
oh no
i'm scared
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »

I have to say fighting with a basketball is a lot more inspiring to me than most other forms of combat.

Just one thing though: you should give them an ability to grants any basketball they wield the returning quality.  Because it's not that hard to imagine.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:23:53 AM by SilvercatMoonpaw » Logged
Curator
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »

Their level 2 ability gives them a variant of this, but it doesn't overlap returning. giving both effects for free feels too much, but it's not a bad idea for a Slam Jammer to upgrade their Spalding with returning... so long as no one inspects it and realizes that's not regulation.

Make It, Take It: One of the renowned rules of the Slammers and the Jammers is that the victor shall continue their streak. At Level 2, you gain the Cleave Basics feat. Also, whenever you make a successful hurled attack with a basketball you may spend an action die to immediately be armed with the basketball again.

It costs action dice to keep it from being unlimited throws in a single turn, but it also works only on *successful* hits, whereas returning is on misses. So it gives a little more of an 'on a roll' feel, but it's complimented well by returning.
TKDB
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 12:52:44 PM »

I don't even particularly care for basketball, but I still think this class is great. (For a rather less-serious campaign, of course.)

Only one real issue I can find: Master's Touch I probably should be off-limits for master classes Which is a shame, because it's a perfect fit for this concept, but since a master class is 5 levels and Master's Touch is a graded ability that other classes can get around level 10 or so, that means you can get ridiculously early access to Master's Touch II by combining Slam Jammer with a base or expert class that grants it. 10 levels of Martial Artist going into Slam Jammer gets you Master's Touch II at level 13, which is five whole levels sooner than the earliest you could otherwise get it (level 18 as a Martial Artist 10/Edgemaster 8, and that build means you can't get a gamebreaker until level 20 to boot).
Mutt
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 01:08:27 PM »

Although I am currently making a Master Class with Master's Touch at level 3 as well, I do agree with his reasoning. Getting Master's Touch II so early is extremely potent, and negates the idea of sticking with on or two class for a very long time. And, indeed, with a very specific build (Martial Artist 9 / Slam Jammer 3 / Edgemaster 8 with a magic item that grants Class Enhancement for Martial Artist) it would actually be possible to attain Master's Touch III, which is unthinkable. What would that ability even do? Apply 4 tricks to each attack and allow you to apply ranged tricks to melee and unarmed attacks, and vice-versa?

Anyway, in regards to the class: It looks really fun, if extremely silly. However, I think the coolest thing about this class is that, with a bit of refluffing, this makes an excellent 'Hurled Master' style class, strapped to the gills with knives, javelins, hatchets, boomerangs, and even some grenades and, yes, balls. I can't help but remember the character Wakka from Final Fantasy 10, who used a weapon similar to a basketball with deadly efficiency.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 04:50:48 PM »

http://museumofuncutfunk.com/2011/12/07/harlem-globetrotters-cartoon/

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 09:19:48 PM »

Needs more Sweet Georgia Brown

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »

All I can think of.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Mutt
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »

All these good ideas, but I definitely think that there's a very specific origin for all of this.
GreenDragon
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 08:02:47 PM »

Yoink! This is awesome!

You could also reflavor it for soccer but have to have kicking basics as a prerequisite.
Curator
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 12:48:19 AM »

All these good ideas, but I definitely think that there's a very specific origin for all of this.
This is exactly the kind of jam i can slam to.

Yoink! This is awesome!

You could also reflavor it for soccer but have to have kicking basics as a prerequisite.
You. I like you.

this is incredible, and horrifyingly apt. I love the way he dribbles, drives, and dunks his way to victory, using athletics and ball-talent as more than just a way to deal damage.

I don't even particularly care for basketball, but I still think this class is great. (For a rather less-serious campaign, of course.)

Only one real issue I can find: Master's Touch I probably should be off-limits for master classes Which is a shame, because it's a perfect fit for this concept, but since a master class is 5 levels and Master's Touch is a graded ability that other classes can get around level 10 or so, that means you can get ridiculously early access to Master's Touch II by combining Slam Jammer with a base or expert class that grants it. 10 levels of Martial Artist going into Slam Jammer gets you Master's Touch II at level 13, which is five whole levels sooner than the earliest you could otherwise get it (level 18 as a Martial Artist 10/Edgemaster 8, and that build means you can't get a gamebreaker until level 20 to boot).
Noted, very good point. Fixing the level 3 now to prevent such an issue.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: