Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2015, 08:02:30 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  New Master Class: Master Chef
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Master Class: Master Chef  (Read 134 times)
DW
Recruit

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2015, 10:16:42 PM »

Yep. There's already two classes taking a swing at this--a base and an expert. And then, I saw on one of them that MisterAnderson had basically commented that he couldn't believe Chef wasn't a master class. And you know what? I totally agreed with him.

I looked over the other two, and I felt that the new feat types and paths and whatnot were a little too much. I started to wonder: Why don't they just make new kinds of food? That's what Chef's do after all. So I sat down, chatted with my GM, and we knocked out this idea after some discussion. Let me know what you guys think, where you think it works, and where you think it needs some work.

Master Class: Master Chef

BAB, Low. Fort, High. Ref, Med. Will, Low. Init, High. Def, Med. Life Style, Med. Legend, Med.

(1) Improvisational Cooking I, The Lost Recipes
(2) Freegan
(3) Personal Methodology
(4) Improvisational Cooking II, Pressure Cooker
(5) Well Fed

Improvisational Cooking I: You make the most dull and lifeless meals more interesting. At Level 1, your class Level is added to your Career Level when determining the maximum Complexity of Food you may craft. Also, if you have access to some manner of foodstuffs (including the 'perishable food' gained from a successful forage check), you are considered to have cooking raw materials with a silver value equal to the amount that your maximum cooking Complexity exceeds the Complexity needed to craft the food you are crafting. These raw materials may only provide up to half the item's silver value as normal.

The Lost Recipes: You've never been satisfied with the meals that everyone else can cook. At Level 1 and every Master Chef class level, you may choose from one of the foods on the Lost Recipes chart. You may now craft this food using your Craft (Cooking) focus.

Food, Enriching - Negates baffled condition.
Food, Fermented - Decreases shaken by one grade.
Food, Fortifying - Negates frightened condition.
Food, Invigorating - Negates slowed condition.
Food, Refreshing - Recover 2 points of stress damage.
Food, Rich - Recover 2 points of vitality.
Food, Robust - +2 MPH gear bonus on overland travel speed.
Food, Spicy - Increases movement speed by +5 feet.
Food, Sweet - +1 gear bonus on Reflex saves.
Food, Zesty - Recover 2 points of subdual damage. [/li][/list]

Freegan: You know exactly how to find the best ingredients others would overlook. At Level 2, when making Forage checks, you are always considered to be in a Fertile Environment. Additionally, you gain a bonus to Forage checks equal to your class level when already in a Fertile Environment. Finally, the complexity on spices drops from 15W to 15D.

Personal Methodology: Every great chef has their own style, and you are no different. At Level 3, pick from one of the following three options:

• Ready at Hand: A rolling pin is just as deadly as a mace. When selecting this option, choose a weapon of the Club or Knife type. Your Cook's Kit counts as this weapon rather than an Improvised Weapon.
  • The Angry Scotsman: Sometimes it's salt and sometimes it's tears. Your class level is added as an Insight bonus to your rolls when performing a Threaten action or causing stress damage with a threaten action.
  • Traveling Gourmet: A true chef knows the meals of the entire world. Anyone that shares the Cooking Crafting Focus with you has their disposition increase by 5. Also, you do not suffer the -4 error range increase from not sharing a language with these NPCs.

Improvisational Cooking II: You can scramble an egg with a rock. At Level 4, you no longer require a Cook's Kit when making Crafting Cooking checks, and you are never considered untrained when making these checks.

Pressure Cooker: When the heat it on, you use it to roast a turkey. At Level 4, when performing Crafting (Cooking) checks, a downtime of at least 8 hours may be treated as a day.

Well Fed: Everyone wants another helping. You and your party may benefit from an additional food and drink each day. The effects of food and drink you benefit from last all day.

------------------------------------------------

Notes: This was largely designed for campaigns that lack the Sorcerer quality. A good meal goes a long way, after all. Rather than try to make cooking really, really strong, my goal here was to flesh it out into something useful and variable. Some of the foods, you'll notice, have the same effects as Booze and Coffee. This was intentional, as I felt that any jackass could brew a halfway decent cup of coffee, but only a Master Chef could make a meal out of Fermented Beans (or the like). It also allows for a little extra rules bending, since those liquid bonuses and food bonuses get to stack.

I'm still working some things out with the foods, so for now, treat them all as a complexity of 10D with a cost of 10s. Those numbers are the least likely to change.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 03:33:30 AM »

First up, yay.

Second, you're missing your prereqs for entering the class, and they're going to make Imp Cooking I essentially pointless. As a starting point:

Requirements: Crafting 10+ ranks, Crafting Basics (Cooking), Knife Basics

The base value for max complexity is career level + crafting bonus. You'll have +10 due to career at 1st level, and as a Crafting based class ideally you're going to need a minimum of 10 levels of Crafting (which you'll probably have by level 7 if not sooner) in addition to Crafting Basics (Cooking) which increases your max by the number of gear feats. Even without factoring in attribute modifiers, that's got you 6 pts above the most complex of food items. So I'd rewrite it as follows:

Improvised Cooking I: You ignore the limitation on maximum complexity when you make a Crafting/Improvise check to create food items. The time taken for this check depends on the GM but in most cases should require no actual Downtime. Further, at the beginning of each scene and downtime you are considered to have 50s x your starting action dice in materials appropriate to the creation of any item of food or drink. This material cannot be preserved for use beyond the current scene or downtime, but can be used by both yourself and other characters to create these items.

Improvised Cooking II: You no longer need a cooking kit when making Crafting checks, but doing so increases the number of action dice required to activate an error by 1. Additionally, [something here].

Lost Recipes is pretty much genius on a stick, but the recover 2 points ones are pointlessly weak. PCs recover [career level] vitality per hour of rest, and bleed off a point of stress and subdual every 10 minutes. It would be better for them to increase the rate of recovery by 1 or 2 points for the next 8 hrs.

Freegan: In fertile and harsh environments you automatically succeed on Foraging checks, and in barren environments you may roll twice and keep the result you prefer. Additionally, [something here].

Pressure Cooker is weak, Personal Methodology and Well Fed both really need... fleshing out.

DW
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »

I'd rather not lose the downtime check, since I want that later boost to come into play more often, and I like the limitations of the current crafting system. I want them to cook, but I don't want them to walk around with hundreds of food items at the beginning of every adventure. However, I might have a way to make my original version a little bit sweeter.

Improvisational Cooking I: You make the most dull and lifeless meals more interesting. At Level 1, your class Level is added to your Career Level when determining the maximum Complexity of Food you may craft. Also, if you have access to some manner of foodstuffs (including the 'perishable food' gained from a successful forage check), you are considered to have cooking raw materials with a silver value equal to the amount that your maximum cooking Complexity exceeds the Complexity needed to craft the food you are crafting. These raw materials may only provide up to half the item's silver value as normal. Additionally, you may raise the Complexity of the food being crafted by 2. For each time you do so, you gain an additional use of this item.

Now, they'll want to increase the complexity to higher and higher levels to get additional uses. The "three use" base that comes with all food might just fly out the window.

Let me think more on the other points you raised, though I agree with the analysis of 2 point Lost Recipes needing a little bit of a bump. Maybe both effects. Some instant "Feel good" followed by an increased recovery rate.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 06:02:32 PM »

You've just gone back and put the actually useless bit of the ability back in.

DW
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »

Yeah, you're right. Now, I'm trying to think of how to make it work how I want it to. What are your thoughts on letting them stack food? For example, make Food, Fresh, Food, Whatever, etc. and just add the complexities together? This lets the player construct their own complexity level a little more.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:57:15 PM »

Just grab the cocktail upgrade from poisons?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: