Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 10:55:47 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Contemplating BattleTech-style combat add-on
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Contemplating BattleTech-style combat add-on  (Read 552 times)
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 12:59:47 AM »

Basically the use of force in legal combat actions is "the Means justifying the Ends."

Morg: I had the idea for the powerplant perk "Green Power" -reduced Rep losses from powerplant detonations. Grin

“VELOCITAS, INCURSIO, VIS” -Latin for “Speed, Surprise, Violence of Action!”
(Thank you Grrl Power).
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 06:54:15 AM »

A simple out would be to attach a ridiculous rep penalty for detonating reactors in most circumstances -- folks actually want to be able to live in the areas being fought over.
That depends on your reactor.  Not a whole lot of radioactive isotopes in a fusion reactor.   Tongue  (But if it goes critical and ka-blooie it will flatten a good square mile and vaporize the pilots even if they eject.)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »

Or like a Thorium molten-salt reactor, which do not melt down -if breached the cascading effects naturally self-neutralize and become inert.

Much as I like the ideas, I think I'm with Morg on this one: no need for powerplants to automatically be atomic bombs waiting to go off.
I file that under tropes like neural feedback interfaces also being capable of transmitting debilitating levels of pain as feedback -unless there's no alternative what's the damn point? To randomly incapacitate users mid-battle? Same with striding into fire on an atomic bomb. Acceptable in 40k, but anyone less grossly ignorant should think twice.

“VELOCITAS, INCURSIO, VIS” -Latin for “Speed, Surprise, Violence of Action!”
(Thank you Grrl Power).
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 07:26:33 PM »

I actually find Heavy Gear with its extreme efficiency internal combustion engines and various fuel-cell/battery schemes more plausible on many levels. Having the biggest weapon on the mecha be the engine leads to some really awful strategic realities. And that's not even counting when you are on defense and really don't want to trash the local landscape.

My reluctance comes partially from a discussion of piracy in a star-travel setting. How do you go about robbing people who are sitting on a massive matter/anti-matter bomb? You can't easily threaten their lives because they absolutely have the means of taking you with them.

The spoilsport feature allows you to get the last laugh and will probably include a nice deliberate ammo cook-off in its function, but for now I'm leaving catastrophic self-immolation out of the base rules Smiley.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 08:45:49 PM »

Some sort of scuttling ammo/fuel cook off thing?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 08:54:02 PM »

Probably a selectable scale ranging from scuttling charge (good for protecting advanced tech/designs) to final retaliation (Boom!) to terror threat in the form of a small neutron/dirty bomb. Point is mostly when the mecha loses its a bad sport about the whole thing Smiley.

I really want to get some missiles plugged into the spreadsheet and folded into the weapon tables. I have a couple of fun ideas for design challenges I hope the board denizens will embrace Smiley.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 09:04:43 PM »

A simple out would be to attach a ridiculous rep penalty for detonating reactors in most circumstances -- folks actually want to be able to live in the areas being fought over.
That depends on your reactor.  Not a whole lot of radioactive isotopes in a fusion reactor.   Tongue  (But if it goes critical and ka-blooie it will flatten a good square mile and vaporize the pilots even if they eject.)

Other way around. To what extent depends on the type of fusion reactor.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2014, 11:44:27 PM »

Yay. Two types of missiles!

(and turrets)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:07:47 AM by Morgenstern » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2014, 11:22:12 AM »

Rounded out the Missiles list.

I just need to get some anti-missile systems on the gear list and we should be ready to do a little structured strider-building competition, starting with Registering Your Company Smiley.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 11:43:23 PM »

Alrighty! Anti-missile Systems are go.

I'll open a new thread in the Play-by-Post for a little game of "Run a major warstrider manufacturer" shortly  Cool.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: