Let me tell you a story, about how when human civilization had its back against the wall against an overwhelming alien invasion, how common ordinary people banded together to fight back against the tide, and how a few extraordinary individuals made a difference…
The Heroes:Christina “Sapphire” Henderson
- A veteran of the Canadian armed forces, Sapphire was part of the initial reinforcement of Alpha Squad after the hazardous first contact mission eliminated all but one brave souls. Making her mark on the alien menace with flare, her first kill was a far off assault rifle shot that initiated a Mind Merge break.
She then went on a streak of assault rifle kill shots, missing not a one as she tore strategic chunks out of the alien menace, until they smartened up and started wearing armor.
Even then, her aggressive Assault nature meant that she was often charging right up into their grill. This strategy was only further assisted when XCOM developed armor with grappling hooks, which she put through the paces during an abduction mission on the top of an under-construction skyscraper. She had killed three before the rest of the squad could catch up, though she did need to recover from plasma burns afterwards.
Miles “Styker” Reynolds
When XCOM developed technology to develop latent psionic talent in their soldiers, Sapphire was one of the first to try out the new test. To the surprise of few, she came up positive with the gift. Unfortunately, the imperfect testing seems to have messed up her aim, although she has yet to miss when trying to fry brains, though her ego was bruised a little from her first mind control attempt failing.
She’s also taken a full Sectopod blast in the face and survived, though this might have been due to her armor at the time.
- For the longest time the sole American soldier in XCOM, Miles has had a much tougher road. First deployed during XCOM’s first downed UFO, Miles made a name for himself as the guy who panicked and shot Sapphire. She, being Sapphire, ignored the bullets in her thigh and killed the UFO’s commander. Miles then spent the Skyranger ride home begging for forgiveness.
Still scarred by this gaff, Styker became a Support soldier, and has developed into a reliable combat medic, just as likely to run to a wounded squadmate as he is to lay accurate fire on X-Ray scum.
It also should be pointed out that he is well acquainted with the medical facilities of XCOM HQ, and has been victim of most of the ways aliens can attack, both physical and mental.
The Reliable:Komiko “Kitsune” Shigure
Also one of the first to test the new psi-chamber, Miles surprised many with his high scores, and has become a deadly psionic trooper in the process. Due to his humble nature, however, his powers developed towards a more supportive role, and he is just as likely to put up protective shields as he is to fry brains.
- Like Sapphire, Kitsune was part of the original reinforcement of Alpha Squad, the only other surviving member, and was often teamed up with her on missions. While Sapphire ran around causing holy havoc for X-Ray forces, Kitsune quietly racked up a kill count with her laser sniper rifle.
Currently the most experienced sniper of XCOM, and among the first soldiers to attain Colonel status, Kitsune has lately been relegated to reserve duty
after it was determined that she didn’t have the gift
, though when the mission is important, she is more than willing to take up her laser sniper for the cause.
Kitsune is often easy to spot with her bright red hair (dyed) and equally bright red armor. Unlike the bad luck one would give this attire, she has yet to be seriously wounded in combat.
Note: She has been spotted talking to Miles once, where it seemed that she had is funny bone zeroed in, and was hammering it as much as she could. Ever since, though, they are rarely seen together outside of combat.Jack “Vandal” O’Connel
- Easily the most fun loving soldier in XCOM, what with his orange broom flat-top hairdo, his constant joking around with other soldiers in the lounge, and the proudly displaying his Irish flag on the back of his dark green armor, it would surprise no one that Vandal loves charging aliens to blast them in the face with a shotgun, though it would surprise them to know that he is often charged with carrying the stun gun on missions. Indeed, he is well known as the guy who almost killed himself in order to bag a
The UnassumingXavier “Nightmare” Latfvre(?)
He has also known as the guy who really doesn’t like psionic powers. He has been mind controlled, watched his best friend eat a grenade in an attempt to kill him… this on top of learning he doesn’t have the gift, Vandal can’t be faulted for harboring a need to grind psionic aliens under his boot at the earliest convenience, although he did get some vengeance when he blasted an Ethereal who what mind-controlling a squadmate.
- A rather quiet Canadian, Xavier is often teased about wearing a full, face-concealing helmet as a sniper, and really, he couldn’t care less. All that mattered was keeping his head down, keep in shape at the base, and just try to get through the war in one piece.
When it was determined that he had the gift, however, he has been quietly becoming one of the deadliest weapons in XCOM’s arsenal. If he isn’t blasting alien noggins with laser blasts from across the map, he’s blasting alien noggins with mind blasts up close. Is also the guy who field-tested the new Archangel armor, which was convenient, since the UFOs started getting large enough to need it.
(By the way, feel free to share your own)